It is currently: May 05, '24, 1:18 pm

Ronda Rousey loses by KO at UFC 193

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: Ronda Rousey loses by KO at UFC 193

Postby Messiah » Nov 15, '15, 9:08 am

As far as her drawing power goes, I don't think it will ever be the same. She will still be a very good / great draw (unless she gets demolished again), but she has lost that invincibility factor she kind of had with her. But you never know.

The best thing for her (and the UFC $$ wise) would be to win and dominate a rematch, but I seriously doubt that would happen. She would then need to fight Cyborg. Or just straight up fight Cyborg and that would be a big seller still I'm sure.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 470

Postby The Legend » Nov 15, '15, 9:18 am

Messiah wrote:As far as her drawing power goes, I don't think it will ever be the same. She will still be a very good / great draw (unless she gets demolished again), but she has lost that invincibility factor she kind of had with her.

The best thing for her (and the UFC $$ wise) would be to win and dominate a rematch, but I seriously doubt that would happen. She would then need to fight Cyborg. Or just straight up fight Cyborg and that would be a big seller still I'm sure.

I kinda disagree with this. At least for my money, I'm not likely to put 50 bucks on something that isn't likely to last more than 20 seconds, especially when you've seen that 6 times already. Seeing her fight in a longer fight and seeing that there are women out there that can challenge her improves her drawing power significantly for me. It would probably take her winning her next fight in a fashion where it goes a while like this, but this fight was huge for her drawing power at least to me.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby PorkChop » Nov 15, '15, 9:41 am

"I know she wins the boxing world title. Ronda has nothing to prove to me. I know what kind of fighter I have on my hands"

"Ronda spars with boxing world champions that punch way harder than Cyborg," said Tarverdyan. "Ronda has never lost a round in the gym. A round. With boxing world champions. What is Cyborg?"

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/8/1/908416 ... holly-holm

Gfycat Video - Click to Play

I can't believe she made the cover of Ring magazine too :lol

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Nov 15, '15, 12:02 pm

I find it absurd how much Ronda is being trashed online. She took a bad loss but she's still an absolute beast in the octagon and will definitely come back from this no doubt. It's just so bizarre how she chose to trade with an elite level boxer, such an arrogant move that deservedly cost her everything.

Fuck Ronda though it's all about ALDO/MCGREGOR NEXT MONTH :tim :tim

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » Nov 15, '15, 12:21 pm

If McGregor loses next month too, Dana definitely won't be happy.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby PorkChop » Nov 15, '15, 12:37 pm

prophet wrote:I find it absurd how much Ronda is being trashed online. She took a bad loss but she's still an absolute beast in the octagon and will definitely come back from this no doubt. It's just so bizarre how she chose to trade with an elite level boxer, such an arrogant move that deservedly cost her everything.

Fuck Ronda though it's all about ALDO/MCGREGOR NEXT MONTH :tim :tim

It's Ronda's behaviour which has led to a lot of backlash, and rightly so.

She would constantly trash Miesha Tate and her boyfriend Bryan Caraway, calling him all sorts of things in the media and saying she'd wreck him in a fight. But now Rousey is with Travis Browne, she's refusing to answer any questions about her relationship. She's hanging up on media calls and blanking journalists when they ask. She's happy to bring other people's relationships in the public eye and drag them through the mud, but when the shoe is on the other foot and somebody asks about her relationship, she behaves like they're being completely unreasonable.

She would constantly trash Mayweather about his domestic violence convictions, but in her autobiography would speak of assaulting her boyfriends in glowing terms, as if she was proud of herself. She'd recount every strike she'd landed in vivid detail. She's now dating Travis Browne, who has been accused recently of assaulting his previous partner.

She would constantly refuse to shake her opponents' hands or touch gloves. She got into a scuffle with Holm at the weigh ins and behaved like Holm was the instigator which was ridiculous, and then refused to touch gloves come fight time. She famously refused to shake Miesha Tate's hand after their second fight and on several occasions throughout the Ultimate Fighter as well. If Tate offered a hand, Rousey would usually return it with a needless middle finger.

Rousey and her trainer would constantly talk up her boxing skills despite being a complete boxing novice and she had the arrogance to fight Holm at her own game. We'd constantly hear stories about how Ronda had dropped male world boxing champions in training (and never once losing a round) and last night when she decided to put her money where her mouth is, was completely embarrassed.

All of the above (and more which I would happily list) coupled with the over-saturation of Rousey in the media over the past year or two caused her to become the John Cena of the UFC - the unbeatable champ who's face is everywhere you turn, but with a stinking attitude and insufferable immaturity to boot.

It was great watching Holm school her last night. It was a moment many MMA fans have been waiting years for.

Edit: A couple of other instances where Rousey has proven to be an intolerable twat:

She tweeted a Sandy Hook "debunked" video a while back, before it was quickly taken down. I recall reading interview with her somewhen where she basically said the whole thing was a government hoax.

She constantly rips into Cris Cyborg about how she allegedly looks like a man. She'd often claim she looks like Wanderlei Silva in a dress, and makes jokes that she has a penis. Rousey then gave an interview warning girls about the dangers of body shaming in society and how she's supposedly suffered from eating disorders in the past because she was bullied about the way she looked. Not one week after the interview was published, she resumed the mocking of Cris Cyborg's body through the media.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 15, '15, 4:51 pm

Well done Holm - always good to see an underdog beat the favourite and Rousey seems to have been too rowdy for her own good.

I'd imagine she can still come back but now that she's lost her aura, she might not want to.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 16, '15, 3:05 pm

Messiah wrote:

Rousey looked sloppy as hell, like she didn't even belong in the same ring.

Also Holm making Rousey fall down in the 2nd round simply off footwork was amazing. That is .gif material.

Yes, Rousey was woeful and quite early on in the first round you could see Holm's boxing ability and timing was going to be ahead of Rousey's aggressive, come forward style. Latter had no answer to Holly and it was quite easy how she won and class by Holly to check on her opponent post-fight as well.

You see it in boxing when fighters who have an indestructible aura about them with a come forward, aggressive approach who, eventually, get beat by being outboxed by a fighter who has the correct timing.

Rousey post fight seemed to be gloating on how much she got paid for losing? But if she's got enough dosh in the bank, she could walk away and put her feet up.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Previous

Return to General Sports Discussion