It is currently: Apr 26, '24, 11:25 pm

New 45-minute interview with Punk

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

New 45-minute interview with Punk

Postby UTK » Jul 26, '15, 7:56 pm

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: New 45-minute interview with Punk

Postby Circled Square » Jul 26, '15, 9:59 pm

I think Punk's a shitstain but he's a good talker and I like listening to his interviews.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby VaderBomb » Jul 26, '15, 10:12 pm

I can't wait to listen to this tomorrow morning.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby prophet » Jul 27, '15, 1:22 pm

I like Ariel's idea of putting him on the (rumored) January 2nd card in Vegas - you'd have McGregor/Aldo main-eventing, potentially another title fight co-headlining (Rousey-Tate 3?) and Punk debuting all on the same card. Whatever card he debuts on he's going to have a fuck-ton of hype/attention but you put him on the same bill as McGregor/Aldo and it won't nearly be as intense plus he'd help them go for the all-time record for PPV buys again.

If this is going to be a one and done thing for the UFC they might as well have him fight Cathal Pendred who is fucking terrible but benefit from the Irish crowd and a win.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » Jul 27, '15, 3:13 pm

So I've listened to a few of these interviews with Punk, because I've always found him a compelling interview subject and personality in general. But after listening to a few interviews since he joined the UFC, I figured something out: he's not an entertaining interview subject outside of the WWE.

People gravitated towards Punk during his wrestling days because he was outspoken, unafraid to express a strong opinion and didn't always tow the company line. He didn't mince his words and had a way of cutting through the bullshit. That's what made him likable.

Every interview I've heard with him since he joined UFC (except for the Cabana podcasts), he's talked on and on while actually saying very little. His interviews are full of meaningless platitudes and non-opinions. He almost never gives a straight answer to any question. Maybe he feels he has to pay his dues more before he can become outspoken about the UFC, but it really isn't what I would have expected from Punk a year ago.

Maybe he's only entertaining when he's not happy. :lol

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 28, '15, 7:53 am

Interesting from Hanley but for me it's the opposite. I kinda didn't enjoy his WWE interviews at times because it came off like a dick but understand that's how he was even in interviews when it wasn't kayfabe.

But I've really come across to rooting for him in the UFC because in these interviews, he comes across as normal which maybe surprises people who expect someone brash and outlandish. It makes wanting him to do well more sincere as well for me. Also appreciated the hard time he had during his end of the WWE career and the podcast with Colt changed my view on him and kinda deserves credit for leaving WWE and pushing himself in UFC when not alot of wrestlers, no matter how much they talk casually of fighting in the UFC, would probably make that move.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby VaderBomb » Jul 28, '15, 10:02 am

I haven't had the chance to watch this interview yet but in response to Hanley's post, I think Punk's being humble because he has zero experience fighting professionally. People (especially non wrestling fans and/or die-hard MMA fans) would turn on him real fast if he started acting all cocky like Chael Sonnen (who I adore, but he's shown to be a badass fighter).

In UFC, you have to earn the right to be cocky, otherwise you're just going to get your ass kicked.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Return to General Sports Discussion