It is currently: May 17, '24, 9:28 am

UFC 189 is this weekend.

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

UFC 189 is this weekend.

Postby prophet » Jul 07, '15, 12:25 pm

In case you didn't know.

I want some predictions. We've got a pretty stacked card and some real interesting match-ups. I'll be watching live so if anybody fancies a live-chat I'm sure I can get online! :tim

It's still a bummer that Aldo tucked his tail and ran but having Mendes as a replacement is still absolute fire and in my opinion a tougher match-up for Conor stylistically. Mendes is one of the elite wrestlers in MMA and with McGregor still unproven against a wrestler I worry what will happen if Chad decides to just beast him to the mat and work the ground and pound - Chad also has KO power in his hands so if he manages to get in close enough he can cause some real damage.

Conor has to work his jab and utilize his size/reach advantage - his movement is unrivaled and if he's as relaxed as he's been with everybody else in the Octagon we could have a classic on our hands.

Prediction: Heart says Conor, head says Chad. I'm going to go with Mendes though, I think he'll keep the fight grounded and win it on the mat, sadly.

If anyone hasn't seen the first Lawler/McDonald fight I'd recommend you give it a watch, it was a great fight and could've gone either way on the night. Robbie has some fucking power behind those punches, his takedown defense is great and he's excellent at using his weight to his advantage.

That said I think Rory has developed a ton since they last met and is the more well-rounded fighter and I'm expecting (and hoping) he'll get the win.

Prediction: I'll go for Rory to become the new champ and say he'll get it by UD but I really don't know.

There's a lot to root for on the show if you're European - I'm hopeful of wins for Gunni Nelson, Brad Pickett and Cathal Pendred, too.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: UFC 189 is this weekend.

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 07, '15, 1:21 pm

It's a shame the fight was nixed so close - might have actually stayed up to watch it as I'd been up to close my fast but hey ho..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Re: UFC 189 is this weekend.

Postby PorkChop » Jul 07, '15, 2:28 pm

Picks - McDonald and and McGregor

McDonald is far more technical than Lawler. I think the only advantage Lawler has on him is experience and possibly heart. McDonald will get a fairly comfortable decision though I feel. There might be one or two moments where Lawler puts him in trouble but he should see it through.

As for Conor, basically Chad Mendes is a midget who King McGregor will put in place.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Return to General Sports Discussion