It is currently: May 10, '24, 10:34 am

Best/Worst Sports City?

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Best/Worst Sports City?

Postby SKS » Jun 17, '15, 3:19 pm

Since my previous shitpost was locked and I wasn't able to transition the shitpost into an actual topic :P , which city do you think has the best and worst sports teams overall (all 4 major sports in mind)?

Last edited by SKS on Jun 17, '15, 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 266

Re: Best/Worst Sports City?

Postby Daz » Jun 17, '15, 3:21 pm

Fuck Detroit and the Red Wings.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby MotorCitySaint » Jun 17, '15, 5:17 pm

Daz wrote:Fuck Detroit and the Red Wings.

Boo this man. :fu. Go Lions, Pistons, & Tigers! (I actually don't follow hockey so I don't mind if you single out the Wings ;) )

With the amount of success this city's teams have had in 2000s, it's hard not to call Boston the best sports city right now. Based on that same criteria, I would say that Cleveland & San Diego are tied for the worst. Neither has one a championship in forever. I believe the Padres just overtook the Rays as the team with worst record in baseball history.

If we were basing this on loyalty/passion of fans, it would be hard to pick a best out of Boston, New York, Philly, Cleveland, and Chicago. As much I would love to include Detroit in that, not many people give a shit about the Pistons here, so that knocks the city down a peg. Would probably help if they actually played their games in Detroit instead of Auburn Hills. As far as the worst, I'd go with Miami, Tampa, or Atlanta.

MotorCitySaint Male
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 3

Postby SKS » Jun 17, '15, 5:27 pm

MotorCitySaint wrote:
Daz wrote:Fuck Detroit and the Red Wings.

Boo this man. :fu. Go Lions, Pistons, & Tigers! (I actually don't follow hockey so I don't mind if you single out the Wings ;) )

With the amount of success this city's teams have had in 2000s, it's hard not to call Boston the best sports city right now. Based on that same criteria, I would say that Cleveland & San Diego are tied for the worst. Neither has one a championship in forever. I believe the Padres just overtook the Rays as the team with worst record in baseball history.

If we were basing this on loyalty/passion of fans, it would be hard to pick a best out of Boston, New York, Philly, Cleveland, and Chicago. As much I would love to include Detroit in that, not many people give a shit about the Pistons here, so that knocks the city down a peg. Would probably help if they actually played their games in Detroit instead of Auburn Hills. As far as the worst, I'd go with Miami, Tampa, or Atlanta.

I'd agree that Boston is probably the best. Their teams are usually always good. Celtics have so many titles but aren't that great anymore, Red Sox usually win a World Series every 3 years or so, Patriots make the playoffs every year, Bruins usually contend every year also.

Worst I'd probably say Cleveland & San Diego too, but I think San Diego takes the cake because of the Cavs re-emergence. Chargers haven't won a Super Bowl, Padres haven't won anything in forever.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Jun 18, '15, 6:21 am

Philly fans are the absolute worst, most obnoxious, arrogant and ignorant fans in the world. And their teams all suck too. I mean the Sixers have mastered trying to lose as a franchise long term goal, the Phillies are god awful, the Flyers suck and don't get me started on the mess that is the Eagles.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Locke » Jun 18, '15, 7:40 am

I just thought this was a funny response. I am in no way criticizing anyone from Cleveland. Though I do feel sorry for them. No worries, Kansas City isn't very far behind you.. at all.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby PorkChop » Jun 18, '15, 8:13 am

Norwich

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby UTK » Jun 18, '15, 8:29 am

The Legend wrote:Philly fans are the absolute worst, most obnoxious, arrogant and ignorant fans in the world. And their teams all suck too. I mean the Sixers have mastered trying to lose as a franchise long term goal, the Phillies are god awful, the Flyers suck and don't get me started on the mess that is the Eagles.

I second Filthadelphia.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby SKS » Jun 18, '15, 9:18 am

The Legend wrote:Philly fans are the absolute worst, most obnoxious, arrogant and ignorant fans in the world. And their teams all suck too. I mean the Sixers have mastered trying to lose as a franchise long term goal, the Phillies are god awful, the Flyers suck and don't get me started on the mess that is the Eagles.

I don't think the Eagles are more of a mess than the Chargers/Browns (two cities I compare to). Eagles have made the playoffs 10 times since 2000 including a Super Bowl appearance and numerous NFC Championship bids, and currently have had two back to back 10 win seasons. I feel like that's more promising than what Cleveland is doing right now football wise. The Browns have only one playoff appearance since 2000, while the Chargers have 6. None of the 3 teams have won the Super Bowl. However, the Chargers can't even sell out their stadium. :P I think I would take the Eagles over the Browns/Chargers in that regard.

The Sixers are tanking for the future, if the future ever comes. Who knows. The Cavaliers go as LeBron goes. Still, they've had the best player in the world for 8 years and have yet to win the NBA Finals. But I mean, the Sixers TRY to lose every game possible. :lol San Diego doesn't have a basketball team to compare. I would take the Cavaliers over the Sixers in that regard.

Phillies are a mess currently and stuck in a rebuild with a brain dead general manager. However, from 2007-2011, they won 5 straight division titles, including a World Series title and back to back World Series appearances. The Indians have made the playoffs 3 times since 2000, and have only gotten as far as the ALCS in 2007 when they lost a 3-1 lead to the Red Sox. The Padres have won back to back division titles in 2005 and 2006 but have not done anything of value since and are currently in last place. I think I would take the Phillies over the Indians/Padres in that regard.

The Flyers have won 4 division titles and made the playoffs 12 times since 2000, including a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010. I'm not sure that equals "sucking" but they have not won the cup in a while. No hockey teams in Cleveland or San Diego so I think the Flyers have to win the hockey category by default.

Say what you please about the fans, I do think they are obnoxious and loud but that's what you see on television. I'm sure you can say that about every fan base. But Philly gets the shaft because people booed a drunken Santa. :lol

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Jun 18, '15, 9:20 am

SKS wrote:

I don't think the Eagles are more of a mess than the Chargers/Browns (two cities I compare to). Eagles have made the playoffs 10 times since 2000 including a Super Bowl appearance and numerous NFC Championship bids, and currently have had two back to back 10 win seasons. I feel like that's more promising than what Cleveland is doing right now football wise. The Browns have only one playoff appearance since 2000, while the Chargers have 6. None of the 3 teams have won the Super Bowl. However, the Chargers can't even sell out their stadium. :P I think I would take the Eagles over the Browns/Chargers in that regard.

The Sixers are tanking for the future, if the future ever comes. Who knows. The Cavaliers go as LeBron goes. Still, they've had the best player in the world for 8 years and have yet to win the NBA Finals. But I mean, the Sixers TRY to lose every game possible. :lol San Diego doesn't have a basketball team to compare. I would take the Cavaliers over the Sixers in that regard.

Phillies are a mess currently and stuck in a rebuild with a brain dead general manager. However, from 2007-2011, they won 5 straight division titles, including a World Series title and back to back World Series appearances. The Indians have made the playoffs 3 times since 2000, and have only gotten as far as the ALCS in 2007 when they lost a 3-1 lead to the Red Sox. The Padres have won back to back division titles in 2005 and 2006 but have not done anything of value since and are currently in last place. I think I would take the Phillies over the Indians/Padres in that regard.

The Flyers have won 4 division titles and made the playoffs 12 times since 2000, including a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010. I'm not sure that equals "sucking" but they have not won the cup in a while. No hockey teams in Cleveland or San Diego so I think the Flyers have to win the hockey category by default.

Say what you please about the fans, I do think they are obnoxious and loud but that's what you see on television. I'm sure you can say that about every fan base. But Philly gets the shaft because people booed a drunken Santa. :lol

Whatever, Philly fans are asses and their teams are dumb shits. Biggest loser people in America.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Jun 18, '15, 10:13 am

North Carolina >

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Everlong » Jun 18, '15, 10:33 am

Are we talking just about the quality of the teams, or the quality of the overall franchises and fanbases? Because if it's the latter, there's no doubt it's Miami.

Nobody shows up to Marlins games. People left in the middle of Heat finals games in droves and tried to get back in when their team got into it. Their home court advantage is awful. People sometimes show up for Dolphins games, but again, any home field advantage they have is because of weather, not because the fans really seem to get invested.

Most of the people who live in Miami are transplants, so they don't get invested in the local sports scene as much as people do in other areas. Plus, it's like a Hollywood atmosphere there, and it's almost always beach weather. Hard to blame em.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby SKS » Jun 18, '15, 10:39 am

Everlong wrote:Are we talking just about the quality of the teams, or the quality of the overall franchises and fanbases? Because if it's the latter, there's no doubt it's Miami.

Nobody shows up to Marlins games. People left in the middle of Heat finals games in droves and tried to get back in when their team got into it. Their home court advantage is awful. People sometimes show up for Dolphins games, but again, any home field advantage they have is because of weather, not because the fans really seem to get invested.

Most of the people who live in Miami are transplants, so they don't get invested in the local sports scene as much as people do in other areas. Plus, it's like a Hollywood atmosphere there, and it's almost always beach weather. Hard to blame em.

I meant the quality of teams. But I would agree about Miami, although, people don't live there for the sports teams. It seems to be mostly retired people and transplants. Shame because the Heat are a really well run franchise, and the Dolphins are promising, despite not reaching the next step yet. The Marlins are just a shitshow with their ownership though. :lol

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Jun 18, '15, 10:54 am

It's not just Miami. The entire state of Florida has no pro sport support. Not that I totally blame people. If it were 85 degrees and the beach was right there everyday I'm not sure how many times I'd want to sit in an arena for 3-4 hours watching a sporting event either. The transplant issue plays a big role as well.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby prophet » Jun 18, '15, 3:35 pm

PorkChop wrote:Norwich

@Daz oh shit

:damn

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Daz » Jun 18, '15, 3:38 pm

PorkChop wrote:Norwich

Norwich is a fine city, it says so on the sign.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Ali » Jun 18, '15, 3:48 pm

I'm a bit surprised no one's mentioned Dallas as one of the better sports cities. Say what you will about the teams, but the fanbase here is extremely passionate. And the teams are not that bad, either. The Cowboys are back on the upswing, the Mavericks are consistently good, the Rangers and Stars have a decent future, too. Dallas is a pretty good sports town. Really, sports and museums are the only two things to really do around here.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby Str8Shooter » Jun 18, '15, 4:47 pm

Yeah in terms of fan support I'd agree with Miami, all their teams for the most part have less than stellar fan support. I know the Panthers have a half full building and a lot of those are people vacationing from Canada.

I think Atlanta isn't the greatest for fan support either. The Hawks even when they are decent have trouble with attendance and the people that are there aren't exactly the most boisterous crowd.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Return to General Sports Discussion