It is currently: May 07, '24, 2:03 pm

90s Ultimate Fighting Championship fights

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

90s Ultimate Fighting Championship fights

Postby VaderBomb » Jul 02, '14, 11:54 am

Over the past couple of days I've been watching some old UFC shows. At a local thrift shop, I stumbled upon and purchased a handful of tapes... UFC 2, 14 and 17 to be exact. My exposure to UFC as a kid was pretty limited. I remember seeking out the tape that Shamrock fought Severn (because of my love for WWF), but I don't remember the quality of the fight. Now researching a bit, I've read that it's not considered to be a good fight at all, despite it's length.

I'm very interested in buying some more of the old 90s shows on amazon or ebay, but I want to get the better ones. UFC 5 sounds pretty solid. Shamrock vs Gracie looks to be one of the better main events. Gracie is absolutely brilliant. I was aware of his name but never saw him fight until watching UFC 2 yesterday.

So yeah, post some of your favorite fights or events from the 90s. I'll even check out the newer stuff if you give me a good recommendation.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Re: 90s Ultimate Fighting Championship fights

Postby PorkChop » Jul 02, '14, 2:45 pm

This thread makes me so happy.

The old UFC events are pretty cool to watch, mainly as the guys are all so different. At UFC 1 you had sumo wrestlers, karate guys, a boxer that only wore one glove, and a fairly tiny guy called Royce Gracie, the master of a martial art nobody had heard of - who tapped out everyone they put in front of him. Most of Gracie's success was due to the fact that his opponents hadn't even heard of jiujitsu and had no submission defence, but he was good at what he did. He shocked the world.

Obviously, the newer UFC events are better in terms of quality. If you want old events though, you might like some of the old Pancrase fights. It was a Japanese promotion owned by Masakatsu Funaki and Minoru Suzuki around in the early 90's. It's not strictly MMA as there's no closed-fist punches to the head, but it's still a good watch.

Here's Bas Rutten vs Frank Shamrock from around 1996, I believe:

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Re: 90s Ultimate Fighting Championship fights

Postby VaderBomb » Jul 03, '14, 12:20 pm

Just watched Gracie beat Severn at UFC IV, how the fuck did he pull that off???? The man is a genius.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Return to General Sports Discussion