It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 7:18 pm

Fitness AMA/Discussion

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: Fitness AMA/Discussion

Postby Kein » Feb 13, '15, 11:46 am

Good pace SKS, I used to run often but then my knees starting bothering me so I stopped :|

It's about time for me to really start going on a cut cycle I guess. That'll be.... fun.....

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 15

Postby HardcoreLegend » Feb 16, '15, 3:59 pm

Any advice on ab work?

I'm doing an intense week of core conditioning at the end of this month in my quest for a visible abs, but I know in order for that to happen I need rid of the fat on my tummy. After last months insanity, I dropped to a 29" waist and the trainer running the group said I probably didn't need to drop anymore... But I still feel like I have fat on my stomach to shift, especially if I'm wanting visible abs.

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 50

Postby Locke » Feb 16, '15, 6:29 pm

Any drugs I can take other than crack to make me never want to eat but give me tons of energy?

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby War Daddy » Feb 16, '15, 6:44 pm

Abs are Made in the kitchen.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author
Topics: 122

Postby Chewy » Feb 17, '15, 1:04 am

Locke wrote:Any drugs I can take other than crack to make me never want to eat but give me tons of energy?

Bananas.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Kein » Feb 17, '15, 2:51 am

HardcoreLegend wrote:Any advice on ab work?

I'm doing an intense week of core conditioning at the end of this month in my quest for a visible abs, but I know in order for that to happen I need rid of the fat on my tummy. After last months insanity, I dropped to a 29" waist and the trainer running the group said I probably didn't need to drop anymore... But I still feel like I have fat on my stomach to shift, especially if I'm wanting visible abs.

As Leh Mafia said, abs are made in the kitchen. The visibility of your abdominals is almost entirely based on your diet and your body fat. Trainer probably told you that you didn't need to drop anymore because you look like you are in a healthy weight range, however if you want visible abs you are inevitably going to have to drop a little more for that goal.

Stronger abs make little difference in how visible they are, but if you think your core actually needs to be stronger, please do not forget to work out your back as well. Remember to keep balance, if you work your core and not your back you will end up hunched or having some weird posture/possible imbalance in muscle usage.

Core exercises I used to like:
Planks
Crunches (elbow to opposite knee)
Leg lifts (especially this)

Lower back stuff:
Supermans
Good Mornings
Deadlifts

Chewy wrote:
Locke wrote:Any drugs I can take other than crack to make me never want to eat but give me tons of energy?

Bananas.

And copious amounts of water.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby PorkChop » Feb 18, '15, 4:04 pm

I've started running again. There's a route near my house which is just over a mile, and I've made a vow to run it every day. Six days strong now, and I've been watching what I eat so far this year. I'm currently the lightest I've been in about two years.

I have dodgy hips though which is giving me a bit of grief. There's not much I can do about that other than carry on through the pain, though I feel like I've been shot when I get back from running.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Chewy » Feb 20, '15, 3:23 am

PorkChop wrote:I've started running again. There's a route near my house which is just over a mile, and I've made a vow to run it every day. Six days strong now, and I've been watching what I eat so far this year. I'm currently the lightest I've been in about two years.

I have dodgy hips though which is giving me a bit of grief. There's not much I can do about that other than carry on through the pain, though I feel like I've been shot when I get back from running.

One more of us, one less of them.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby PorkChop » Feb 20, '15, 3:19 pm

Had today off, I deserve a rest day. I'm finding it easier and easier to run the mile, but it's taking its toll on my legs. I ache everywhere.

Said in the other thread that I'm thinking about getting a bike to cycle to work. All in all, I'd be cycling about 50 miles per week which would be great, I'd be saving about £50 per week too on petrol/parking. The bike would probably end up paying itself off in about 6 weeks (I'm looking at a £300 road bike). Hopefully I'll have quads like Chris Hoy in no time.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby War Daddy » Feb 20, '15, 4:02 pm

PorkChop wrote:Had today off, I deserve a rest day. I'm finding it easier and easier to run the mile, but it's taking its toll on my legs. I ache everywhere.

Said in the other thread that I'm thinking about getting a bike to cycle to work. All in all, I'd be cycling about 50 miles per week which would be great, I'd be saving about £50 per week too on petrol/parking. The bike would probably end up paying itself off in about 6 weeks (I'm looking at a £300 road bike). Hopefully I'll have quads like Chris Hoy in no time.

It'll be so much easier on your knees and joints too.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Feb 20, '15, 4:45 pm

PorkChop wrote:Had today off, I deserve a rest day. I'm finding it easier and easier to run the mile, but it's taking its toll on my legs. I ache everywhere.

Have you considered just trying to do a body weight circuit instead of running?

Less impact on the joints and more calories burnt overall.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby PorkChop » Mar 03, '15, 1:16 pm

Update on my running:

It's been about three weeks now, and I've lost about half a stone. It's quite crazy as I don't carry much excess weight, but I've gone from 13 stone to 12 and a half. I've started watching what I eat but I haven't gone crazy with it, just cut out a bit of chocolate and fizzy drinks. I'm over the moon to be honest. I can now run a mile at a consistent pace without getting tired, I feel healthier and a hot woman at my work said I look healthier, without me even saying anything. Result.

The downsides: Aches and pains. I have pretty bad hips from BJJ, and running seems to exacerbate the pain. It feels like I've been punched in the hips sometimes, so I have a day's break here and there to rest. Luckily I'm buying a bike over the coming weeks and I'll be commuting to work (5 miles each way) which should help burn calories while being easier on my hips. I'm thinking about going swimming at weekends too for the same reasons.

All in all, not bad.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Kein » Mar 05, '15, 1:30 am

That is great to hear Porkchop, it's good you are listening to your body and looking into swimming and a bike.

Those fizzy drinks are crazy, cutting that out imo is probably one of the biggest weight factors for you. Good on you.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby War Daddy » Mar 12, '15, 4:12 pm

Just got one of my certifications for personal training, just working towards the other one now. Got some applications into some various gyms around here. This small town is about to get a little more hardcore.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Kein » Mar 13, '15, 11:44 am

Just give me a damn meal plan.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby SKS » Mar 13, '15, 6:00 pm

I ran 6 miles today. Longest I've gone ever. Damn my legs are sore. But I'm trying to run a marathon or something in the summer, so I gotta keep at it. :tim

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby SKS » Mar 20, '15, 6:49 pm

I ran 6 miles twice the past week, ran 2 miles today and paired it with some lifting. I'm quite sore. I ate 7 slices of pizza. But alas. I feel like I have a huge dick. Those endorphins. :D

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Kein » Mar 21, '15, 3:37 am

Fuel. Feed em muscles.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby PorkChop » Mar 21, '15, 5:56 am

All this cycling is making me lose weight without even trying. I'm now about 175lbs, less than a year ago I was about 220. Crazy when you look back on it.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SKS » Mar 21, '15, 11:03 am

Successful leg day in the books, feeling like I'm walking on jello. HURTS SO GOOD

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports Discussion