It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 4:05 am

Fitness AMA/Discussion

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Fitness AMA/Discussion

Postby War Daddy » Mar 12, '14, 9:46 pm

I dont know where to put this thread as there is really no specific health section. However, this thread is for mostly motivation, questions, discussions, and bragging rights. If you're having an issue with weights not going up, body fat not going down, ask away here. Questions on supplementation? Ask away! Feel free to talk about your favorite routines and if you have any video proof of your gains, post them here!

Feel free to ask me anything, Im not the end all to fitness but Ill tell you all that I know in regards to your questions. Plus, Im bored as fuck. #fitfam #yeahIusedahastag #fightme

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 122

Re: Fitness AMA/Discussion

Postby GNR » Mar 12, '14, 10:05 pm

How do you get a more lean physique vs. just getting buffer? i.e. Runner's physique vs. a pro wrestler's physique

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 18

Postby SKS » Mar 12, '14, 10:13 pm

GNR wrote:How do you get a more lean physique vs. just getting buffer? i.e. Runner's physique vs. a pro wrestler's physique

Don't mean to rain on Tony's parade but I assume this is as simple as cardio vs weight lifting. Run run run = lean, thinner. Weight lifting & supplements = gaining mass. I think it's why people like Batista and The Rock rarely do cardio (or at least I assume they don't) is because they get gassed 5 minutes into matches. They just focus on weight lifting to look inflated and massive. Plus, cardio burns not only weight but you can also lose muscle along with it.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby War Daddy » Mar 12, '14, 10:18 pm

GNR wrote:How do you get a more lean physique vs. just getting buffer? i.e. Runner's physique vs. a pro wrestler's physique

You basically want to burn more calories than you take in. Make sure you are getting adequate protein as well. Also, lifting heavy(with proper form and a good spotter) combined with a decent cardio plan will get you lean without looking like Ronnie Coleman. Eat healthy foods(obviously), watch your carb intake(so you dont get bloated or gain too much weight), and stick to lean meats if you go the chicken/turkey/deer meat route. As for carbs, stay with complex carbs, simple carbs are not bad but not what you want either.

You also want to go by body fat, not weight. What I mean is stay off the dreaded scale. Use a mirror to gauge your process. The scale is just a measurement of gravity force being pushed down on to you. Nothing else. Hope this helps, if not this thread fails :lol

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby War Daddy » Mar 12, '14, 10:20 pm

SKS wrote:

Don't mean to rain on Tony's parade but I assume this is as simple as cardio vs weight lifting. Run run run = lean, thinner. Weight lifting & supplements = gaining mass. I think it's why people like Batista and The Rock rarely do cardio (or at least I assume they don't) is because they get gassed 5 minutes into matches. They just focus on weight lifting to look inflated and massive. Plus, cardio burns not only weight but you can also lose muscle along with it.

Hey Im all for people asnwering others as well. However, if you wanna put on lean mass then doing miles apon miles of cardio is horrible, which is why I recommend HIIT training.. And the Rock does cardio, I follow his Instagram. :P Supplements play a good part, but its ALL about the foods you eat. Should never fully rely on supplements for your nutrients.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby SKS » Mar 12, '14, 10:25 pm

My friend also told me about HIIT workouts. I'm going to try it.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby War Daddy » Mar 12, '14, 10:28 pm

SKS wrote:My friend also told me about HIIT workouts. I'm going to try it.

Theyre soooo good. You gotta be damn near dead by the end though. That's just my opinion though, beats the hell out of slugging along on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Mar 13, '14, 4:44 am

The way you lift will also determine whether you will get more toned vs add muscle mass. If you want to cut mass and get lean you want to do more reps with less weight when you lift. If you are looking to tone you should be doing 12-20 reps per set vs 6-12 reps per set for muscle building.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Chewy » Mar 13, '14, 5:43 am

The Legend wrote:The way you lift will also determine whether you will get more toned vs add muscle mass. If you want to cut mass and get lean you want to do more reps with less weight when you lift. If you are looking to tone you should be doing 12-20 reps per set vs 6-12 reps per set for muscle building.

Not really, shorter sets of higher weight is just as good for cutting. Diet is what dictates whether you gain or lose fat/muscle.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby PorkChop » Mar 13, '14, 8:36 am

This question is answered in this video. I found it really helpful.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby War Daddy » Mar 13, '14, 8:37 am

Chewy wrote:
The Legend wrote:The way you lift will also determine whether you will get more toned vs add muscle mass. If you want to cut mass and get lean you want to do more reps with less weight when you lift. If you are looking to tone you should be doing 12-20 reps per set vs 6-12 reps per set for muscle building.

Not really, shorter sets of higher weight is just as good for cutting. Diet is what dictates whether you gain or lose fat/muscle.

What Chewy said. Also, eliminate that "getting toned" bullshit. That's just media driven junk, you can't "tone" a muscle.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Mar 14, '14, 2:39 am

The only difference is muscle mass and body fat percentage.

To get more muscle mass, eat at a calorie surplus and lift weights.

To just get leaner, eat at a calorie deficit and lift weights.

The is bulking and cutting, nothing. More.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby War Daddy » Mar 14, '14, 8:20 pm

Chewy wrote:

The only difference is muscle mass and body fat percentage.

To get more muscle mass, eat at a calorie surplus and lift weights.

To just get leaner, eat at a calorie deficit and lift weights.

The is bulking and cutting, nothing. More.

This is basically it :lol

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby War Daddy » Mar 18, '14, 8:40 pm

I dont want to see this thread die, so here's a motivation video for ya:

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Kein » Mar 19, '14, 12:14 am

How come when they do the bench press they let the bar sit down for a while?

Also when they are working the triceps, is it alright he is pulling down enough to make the weights swing up like that? I know it shows he strong but is the weight too light for him then?

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby War Daddy » Mar 19, '14, 9:56 am

Kein wrote:How come when they do the bench press they let the bar sit down for a while?

Also when they are working the triceps, is it alright he is pulling down enough to make the weights swing up like that? I know it shows he strong but is the weight too light for him then?

The pause reps are usually done in powerlifting because it's a requirement for the bar to touch the chest. However, I assume it's just CT being a mad man as usual and Da Hulk being retarded strong :lol

Big men like that are known for not being or caring much bout form. Da Hulk looks like he goes for as many reps as possible with not too great of form. Then again, the definition of form varies, so to them, it could be normal.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Mar 19, '14, 8:21 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:
Kein wrote:How come when they do the bench press they let the bar sit down for a while?

The pause reps are usually done in powerlifting because it's a requirement for the bar to touch the chest. However, I assume it's just CT being a mad man as usual and Da Hulk being retarded strong :lol

Big men like that are known for not being or caring much bout form. Da Hulk looks like he goes for as many reps as possible with not too great of form. Then again, the definition of form varies, so to them, it could be normal.

Genetics will allow some guys to succeed despite poor form and let's face it, bodybuilding has as much to do with genetics as it does exercise and AS.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby War Daddy » Mar 19, '14, 8:35 pm

Chewy wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:

Genetics will allow some guys to succeed despite poor form and let's face it, bodybuilding has as much to do with genetics as it does exercise and AS.

I agree up to a point. You can have all the genetics you want, but if you dont eat right and consistently put in the work, it wont get you nowhere.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Kein » Mar 19, '14, 10:00 pm

I need to eat righter. That's right, righter. I have always been exercising, it has to be my diet...

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Chewy » Mar 21, '14, 7:29 am

Alpha Beast wrote:
Chewy wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:

I agree up to a point. You can have all the genetics you want, but if you dont eat right and consistently put in the work, it wont get you nowhere.

True, perhaps over the top rating genetics, but they play their part.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Next

Return to General Sports Discussion