It is currently: May 06, '24, 4:45 pm

Fitness AMA/Discussion

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: Fitness AMA/Discussion

Postby Chewy » Jan 16, '15, 6:13 pm

HardcoreLegend wrote:
Chewy wrote:Throw the shit food out, then you don't have to deal with temptation.

I had the same conversation with the mother in law, she wanted a plan because she wanted to lose some weight. When she told me that she couldn't start until she had eaten the rest of the leftovers and cake and biscuits and donuts I just informed her that she would remain fat and moved on.

If it was just me I would have done, but since I still live at home with the family, I can't. I have told them to hurry up and eat it all so I won't be tempted. It's the same at work. We ended up with about 6 tins of biscuits from customers, but because there's other people at work, it's not fair for me just to throw them out.

Throw to family out and let them take the food with them.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 21

Postby War Daddy » Jan 18, '15, 10:38 pm

Rest in Peace, Greg Plitt. One of my biggest inspirations for getting into the gym. Go be with your dog Quest, as I know he thoroughly missed you.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 122

Postby Hanley! » Jan 20, '15, 7:17 am

So I just cancelled my gym membership for the time being. Lately I've started feeling faint and light headed regularly, and I can't really risk going to the gym. It's not weight related or anything, it's some kind of health issue. I'm thinking it's likely connected to my hiatus hernia and acid reflux problems. So hopefully I can go get surgery soon and be back in the gym in 2 - 3 months.

I still felt pretty damn guilty cancelling my membership, but there's no point paying for it if I'm not going to be going.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby PorkChop » Jan 20, '15, 3:55 pm

Hanley! wrote:So I just cancelled my gym membership for the time being. Lately I've started feeling faint and light headed regularly, and I can't really risk going to the gym. It's not weight related or anything, it's some kind of health issue. I'm thinking it's likely connected to my hiatus hernia and acid reflux problems. So hopefully I can go get surgery soon and be back in the gym in 2 - 3 months.

I still felt pretty damn guilty cancelling my membership, but there's no point paying for it if I'm not going to be going.

Could it be your blood pressure, maybe? Wouldn't harm to get it checked.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » Jan 20, '15, 4:01 pm

^^ I'm actually waiting on the results of a blood test at the moment, but it's not blood pressure. They took that in the GP's office, and it's fine. The GP couldn't figure out what's wrong with me, so unfortunately there may be a bunch of medical tests in my future. Which isn't my favourite thing.

I'm trying to reach a Consultant Gastroenterologist to see if he thinks it's possible that it's related to my hiatus hernia. If so, then I'm hoping I can get surgery soon and be back up on my feet within a couple of months. And hopefully I'll be able to eat and drink properly again by my wedding. If it's not related, then that's kinda scary.

Either way, it hasn't been the best week.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Chewy » Jan 21, '15, 4:52 am

Hanley! wrote:^^ I'm actually waiting on the results of a blood test at the moment, but it's not blood pressure. They took that in the GP's office, and it's fine. The GP couldn't figure out what's wrong with me, so unfortunately there may be a bunch of medical tests in my future. Which isn't my favourite thing.

I'm trying to reach a Consultant Gastroenterologist to see if he thinks it's possible that it's related to my hiatus hernia. If so, then I'm hoping I can get surgery soon and be back up on my feet within a couple of months. And hopefully I'll be able to eat and drink properly again by my wedding. If it's not related, then that's kinda scary.

Either way, it hasn't been the best week.

Check Kirbys bedside drawer for arsenic.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby HardcoreLegend » Jan 21, '15, 5:08 am

So at the halfway point of this months insanity workout I have dropped down to the size I was after my first month which is a 29" waist. I'm so happy that I'm at that stage and still have 2 more weeks to go. I can see a change in my body, but still feel like a have a layer of fat on my stomach that needs to shift before I can start toning up. So once this month is finished I'm going to have a word with the trainer about accomplishing that.

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 50

Postby Kein » Jan 23, '15, 6:26 pm

My gym partner has been pressuring me to go on a bulk cycle with him since he wanted to get stronger. Kept hassling me to eat more food to sustain the increase in weights. I was scared, as I usually am, of eating.

Lo and behold I ate more food and all my lifts went up. I somehow managed to maintain my weight, so I just kinda lean bulked I guess. Every. Lift. Went up. I was pretty stoked about it. I think it helps for a while now, I have been trying to get all my protein and intake from natural foods and not from powder or pills.

This holiday season I did really well, I didn't over-indulge and I was able to exercise very consistently. Sorry I have been missing lately, there has been a lot going on in my life aside from exercise, some good some bad, just busy.

Hanley! I hope you feel better soon, get checked out man.

HardcoreLegend, glad things are working well for you. Seeing a difference is a huge motivational factor, keep going if it makes you happy, and try to keep it consistent.

Alpha Beast wrote:Rest in Peace, Greg Plitt. One of my biggest inspirations for getting into the gym. Go be with your dog Quest, as I know he thoroughly missed you.

This sucks...

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby UTK » Jan 24, '15, 8:33 pm

So, I began working out 3.5 months ago after not going to the gym for god knows how long, and I'm pretty damn proud of my progress. I'm not trying to be a competitive powerlifter or anything, so these numbers are fantastic to me. I did the Stronglifts routine, and now I'm looking to do a little more. Any suggestions on a new routine would be appreciated.

Here's my progress I'm going to brag about:

Stats when I first started:
BENCH: 55 lbs
SQUAT: 70 lbs
DEADLIFT: 55 lbs

Stats as of yesterday:
BENCH: 130 lbs (PR: 155 lbs)
SQUAT: 155 lbs (PR: 180 lbs)
DEADLIFT: 140 lbs (PR: 165 lbs)

I'm not a big eater, so it was difficult for me to up my calorie intake, but I'm glad I forced myself to.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby War Daddy » Jan 25, '15, 6:26 pm

UTK wrote:So, I began working out 3.5 months ago after not going to the gym for god knows how long, and I'm pretty damn proud of my progress. I'm not trying to be a competitive powerlifter or anything, so these numbers are fantastic to me. I did the Stronglifts routine, and now I'm looking to do a little more. Any suggestions on a new routine would be appreciated.

Here's my progress I'm going to brag about:

Stats when I first started:
BENCH: 55 lbs
SQUAT: 70 lbs
DEADLIFT: 55 lbs

Stats as of yesterday:
BENCH: 130 lbs (PR: 155 lbs)
SQUAT: 155 lbs (PR: 180 lbs)
DEADLIFT: 140 lbs (PR: 165 lbs)

I'm not a big eater, so it was difficult for me to up my calorie intake, but I'm glad I forced myself to.

Welcome back brethren!

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby SKS » Jan 25, '15, 6:39 pm

Haven't posted in here for a while, but have some good news. I went hard with running and ran 4 miles a day for 20 consecutive days. Trying to do 4 miles a day at least 5 days a week, but hurt my calf last week so had to take a rest. About ten days ago I reached my goal of being under 185 pounds. Here's me at 184 compared to me at 235 in 2012 with that awful goatee and track jacket. Still kinda fat yes but happy with the "transformation". :lol

Unfortunately my gf broke things off with me about ten days ago as well. So I have had the emotional eating strike. But today I was 188 so I'm trying to get back to under 185 in no time. Now that I know I can do it, I feel good. Went for a run today and my calf felt great. Here's to getting back on the grind :tim

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby Kein » Jan 28, '15, 12:35 pm

Nice job keeping up with things SKS. Sorry to hear about your gf splitting with you, but I find working out is a mental therapy for me, I hope it is for you as well. That being said... The single life aint so bad too. You can do what you want when you want and not have to explain to anyone where you been. Like lifting. ;)

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby SortaCreative » Jan 29, '15, 6:22 pm

So, I didn't really know if I wanted to post here but, fuck it. You guys are like family.

Over the last year or so I was having some trouble with my eyes (a long standing problem, not the issue) and part of the treatment was some surgery, some medication and what not. Both things really took alot of out me physically. The rehab from surgery and the medication both had a hand in keep me from being very active. Plus things didn't really work out all that well so then there's the whole i'm sad, fuck life kind of slump. I put on a lot of extra weight. Like 60 pounds, to my already pretty hefty size before that.

Anyway, whatever, that's just background. Atm i'm on a diet and i'm exercising every day. Mostly cardio stuff to get my heart rate up and get some stamina built up. Heavy weights are out of the question these days since a side affect of my eye problems are that large, heavy loads could cause me some issues with tearing with the strain. The doctors advised me to stay way from heavy weights. I tend to stick to things like bikes, walks, punch bag, light weights, cross trainers. Things like that.

My diet consists of zero junk food, zero colas and stuff. I tend to aim for around 1800 calories a day and I give myself one day off (It's not like I go mental and consume 8000 calories on this day, I just remove any restrictions for one or two meals).

The problems i'm having are:

I'm still pretty hungry.

Weight training was really enjoyable and I was pleased with the rate of results when I last made an attempt to get fit a few years ago. I can't really do that now and I feel like there's quite a low glass ceiling when it comes to cardio before I'm utterly fucked.

I need tips to make the food a little more interesting. My diet tends to consist of some kind of All Bran cereal. Eggs. Salads. Tuna, Salmon. Chicken. Veggies, obviously. All cooked in various forms and combinations. Very little carbs. Before I'd be eating bread or something like that with almost every meal, now it's very little. Mostly in a little potato i'll have with my main meal.

Sometimes I feel a severe lack of energy and just go to sleep - utterly screwing with my sleeping pattern and routine.

Confidence is an issue when you're as large as me when it comes to going to the gym and stuff. I really like swimming but I don't see myself comfortably going on a routine until I cut some weight first. THEY'LL ALL LOOK AT ME.

So yeah. I need some tips. Help me @Alpha Beast, @Kein, @Chewy- you're my only hope! Edit: My goal weight is around the 230 pound mark. Maybe a tad more.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby Kein » Jan 29, '15, 6:50 pm

I was going to say gourge yourself in Water. That is my first primary tip when it comes to people who want to eat less, usually the body is thirsty but has trouble distinguishing hunger from thirst so people eat when all they need is a drink.

Your lack of energy however makes me think otherwise, and while you can still try to drink more water (cause it doesn't hurt) I would suggest trying to pack on more of the greens. Veggies have a lot of fiber and vitamins, but are also still very water heavy and filling. A serving of veggies is huge compared to other portions in terms of caloric intake.

Protein shakes are also an option, I kept my hunger satiated previous along with water, but consuming protein shakes, because protein is filling, it leaves you feeling full.

Caffeine I believe is also an appetite suppressant if you like coffee or tea. Mints or gum may also help.

I was also going to suggest swimming, but since that isn't quite in the scope at the moment I will scratch that. It's hard to say what is a good routine for you since weights are out of the question due to the intensity levels that can mess with you eye. In my opinion a lot of cardio routines can also be extremely intense, and I wonder if it could have the same effect.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby War Daddy » Jan 29, '15, 6:55 pm

SortaCreative wrote:So, I didn't really know if I wanted to post here but, fuck it. You guys are like family.

Over the last year or so I was having some trouble with my eyes (a long standing problem, not the issue) and part of the treatment was some surgery, some medication and what not. Both things really took alot of out me physically. The rehab from surgery and the medication both had a hand in keep me from being very active. Plus things didn't really work out all that well so then there's the whole i'm sad, fuck life kind of slump. I put on a lot of extra weight. Like 60 pounds, to my already pretty hefty size before that.

Anyway, whatever, that's just background. Atm i'm on a diet and i'm exercising every day. Mostly cardio stuff to get my heart rate up and get some stamina built up. Heavy weights are out of the question these days since a side affect of my eye problems are that large, heavy loads could cause me some issues with tearing with the strain. The doctors advised me to stay way from heavy weights. I tend to stick to things like bikes, walks, punch bag, light weights, cross trainers. Things like that.

My diet consists of zero junk food, zero colas and stuff. I tend to aim for around 1800 calories a day and I give myself one day off (It's not like I go mental and consume 8000 calories on this day, I just remove any restrictions for one or two meals).

The problems i'm having are:

I'm still pretty hungry.

Weight training was really enjoyable and I was pleased with the rate of results when I last made an attempt to get fit a few years ago. I can't really do that now and I feel like there's quite a low glass ceiling when it comes to cardio before I'm utterly fucked.

I need tips to make the food a little more interesting. My diet tends to consist of some kind of All Bran cereal. Eggs. Salads. Tuna, Salmon. Chicken. Veggies, obviously. All cooked in various forms and combinations. Very little carbs. Before I'd be eating bread or something like that with almost every meal, now it's very little. Mostly in a little potato i'll have with my main meal.

Sometimes I feel a severe lack of energy and just go to sleep - utterly screwing with my sleeping pattern and routine.

Confidence is an issue when you're as large as me when it comes to going to the gym and stuff. I really like swimming but I don't see myself comfortably going on a routine until I cut some weight first. THEY'LL ALL LOOK AT ME.

So yeah. I need some tips. Help me @Alpha Beast, @Kein, @Chewy- you're my only hope! Edit: My goal weight is around the 230 pound mark. Maybe a tad more.

The reason you are still hungry is because, from Im seeing, directly dropped to 1800 cals without properly tapering off. When I was on my diet, I was 4500 when I started and dropped 500 every week til I got town 3000, then just slowly tapered off from there. I got less hungry because my body adjusted accordingly, thus allowing to not suffer from temptation.

I would recommend a website knows as The Science of Eating for brilliant recipes. So much good stuff there.
As for the weights, youre not a powerlifter no need to lift crazy amount of weight. What you need to do, is pick a weight you can comfortably lift for 8 to 12 reps, which is a good range for someone starting out(not saying you just started out), you'll get a decent burn but need to increase accordingly as weights get lighter from being stronger. God I hope that wasn't a run on sentence.

Next is confidence, now Im ALPHAS AS FUCK, but I didnt start out that way. Best thing I ever did was muster up the balls to the biggest guy in the room and asked to train with him. The rest is history.
However, confidence is key. The way I see it, FUCK EVERYBODY ELSE. They're not there for me, you won't be there for them. It's your body, if anyone has a problem with you trying to improve then they're just an arrogant cunt who lives with their mother.

Also carbs are you friend, don't ignore them. They provide energy and help recovery. Just stay with it, continue to improve, and you'll be banging the baddest bitches in town in no time.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby SortaCreative » Jan 29, '15, 7:20 pm

The lack of any real strenuous weight lifting is an issue I think. I really enjoyed it and I can still do it but they're very light and it's more about the reps and less about the testosterone filled activity of pumping. You know, there's an element to that which feels damn good. You feel like a beast. I don't get that same feeling with light weights. But whatever, not much I can do about my eye problems :P

I will take those tips on board. More veggies. Bigger helpings of them should hopefully help towards my hunger levels. Plus with that site Alpha recommended they should be a little more entertaining to eat. My water intake has upped dramatically. I mean before I was just drinking Coke and other fizzy drinks daily, so that's a drastic change and i'm already feeling the benefit of more energy. I feel "purer" too. It's weird, I can't really describe it. I just feel better having substituted water in for pretty much everything else.

As regards to the confidence and swimming. It's weird. I flit from thinking fuck it and wanting to go and then backing off when I really think about it. I really do want to do. Swimming is something i've always enjoyed and looked forward to. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go. Get someone to go along with me.

It's tough. About three weeks into all this I was thinking "man all I'm doing is eating bland food, more for sustenance than anything else. I don't really enjoy it. I'm constantly hungry and i'm going to need to do this for about a year, maybe two." It was testing my resolve. So I figured I should get some tips. I know it's going to take a while until i'm at my goal, and that's properly at the goal. Where i've got it down, toned up, maintained it and now posing topless for ladies. Losing it is just the start.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby War Daddy » Jan 29, '15, 9:30 pm

The best part about lifting and training is when I go to bars and I never have to buy anything cuz the bitches buy it for me :P

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby SKS » Jan 29, '15, 10:34 pm

SortaCreative wrote:The lack of any real strenuous weight lifting is an issue I think. I really enjoyed it and I can still do it but they're very light and it's more about the reps and less about the testosterone filled activity of pumping. You know, there's an element to that which feels damn good. You feel like a beast. I don't get that same feeling with light weights. But whatever, not much I can do about my eye problems :P

I will take those tips on board. More veggies. Bigger helpings of them should hopefully help towards my hunger levels. Plus with that site Alpha recommended they should be a little more entertaining to eat. My water intake has upped dramatically. I mean before I was just drinking Coke and other fizzy drinks daily, so that's a drastic change and i'm already feeling the benefit of more energy. I feel "purer" too. It's weird, I can't really describe it. I just feel better having substituted water in for pretty much everything else.

As regards to the confidence and swimming. It's weird. I flit from thinking fuck it and wanting to go and then backing off when I really think about it. I really do want to do. Swimming is something i've always enjoyed and looked forward to. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go. Get someone to go along with me.

It's tough. About three weeks into all this I was thinking "man all I'm doing is eating bland food, more for sustenance than anything else. I don't really enjoy it. I'm constantly hungry and i'm going to need to do this for about a year, maybe two." It was testing my resolve. So I figured I should get some tips. I know it's going to take a while until i'm at my goal, and that's properly at the goal. Where i've got it down, toned up, maintained it and now posing topless for ladies. Losing it is just the start.

I felt the same way when I gave up soda a few years ago. Since then all I drink is water and tea. Such a better thing to do then all that sugar.

I don't know your weight, but when I was a lot heavier I felt that I ate just for the sake of eating. Nowadays, I try to eat smaller portions but do get hungry as well. I gave up red meat for a month a while ago, and only ate fish and baked chicken in terms of "meat" and I hated it, but one thing that helped me was Kashi bars. I don't know if they have them in the UK, but they're high in fiber, taste great and pretty filling which could help with your hunger. Also helps you shit. I shit a lot.

Once you get your confidence up you'll be golden. I've really struggled with that lately with the break up, but I know I have it in me to get back at my previous levels. Good luck man :tim

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby HardcoreLegend » Jan 30, '15, 2:41 am

SortaCreative wrote:As regards to the confidence and swimming. It's weird. I flit from thinking fuck it and wanting to go and then backing off when I really think about it. I really do want to do. Swimming is something i've always enjoyed and looked forward to. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go. Get someone to go along with me.

It's obvious you are keen to get in shape and swimming seems like something you enjoy so I would say go for it. You will probably find the pool is full of people of all different shapes and sizes and not superior athletes as we tend to imagine. Also, once you are in the pool the only thing anyone will see is your head, so make sure you're hair is looking sharp and you're good to go. :P

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 50

Postby SKS » Feb 12, '15, 8:57 pm

Back down to 185. Ran 4 miles in under 40 minutes last week, and have done so consistently. :tim

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports Discussion