It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 2:19 pm

Fitness AMA/Discussion

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: Fitness AMA/Discussion

Postby War Daddy » Jan 07, '16, 10:23 pm

Been doing flexible dieting and dropped from 230 lbs to 217. Like to be 205 but I start a serious bulk.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 122

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 10, '16, 4:38 pm

Right, need some advice.

After one takeaway too many probably, I've decided that I want to start to lose some weight. I'm not in a position for the gym yet but what's the best advice in terms of a diet? I'm around 5'11 and weight 13 stone! I'm turning 30 in September and want to feel and look good by then.

My diet is woeful atm, I know it's difficult for me to stay away from takeaways but I feel if I can wean myself off slowly then I could keep it under discipline.

I need to know what I should be intaking but food which is something I can cook myself easily (my 'cooking' is restricted to microwave/oven use!) would be great!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Jan 10, '16, 5:21 pm

A couple of easy, healthy things I've made recently:

Jerk cauliflower steaks: Get a whole cauliflower, cut it up into big slices. Add jerk seasoning and pepper and cook until it looks good (took about 20 minutes, but I had quite thick slices so the time may vary). Add rice and peas. Profit.

Homemade sweet potato crisps: Cut up a sweet potato into thin slices (think Walkers crisps). Add a dash of vegetable oil, pepper, a dash of sea salt and garam masala for seasoning (available in the spice section in most supermarkets). Give them about 10-15 minutes at gas mark 6 and enjoy.

They're vegetarian because my girlfriend is a vegetarian. Unfortunately.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby War Daddy » Mar 29, '16, 8:00 pm

Looking to get this thread going again. Today I went for a 515 squat and missed it but a quarter inch.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Mar 29, '16, 9:35 pm

I think if you added up everything I've ever lifted cumulatively, over the course of my entire life, it wouldn't be as heavy as that.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby War Daddy » Mar 29, '16, 10:41 pm

Daz wrote:I think if you added up everything I've ever lifted cumulatively, over the course of my entire life, it wouldn't be as heavy as that.

I did 600 when I was still a competitive powerlifter. This is easily my worst squat in recent years.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Kein » Mar 29, '16, 10:58 pm

I have succumbed to my back injury and decided squats and deadlifts aren't for me. I still want to try front-bar squats since it puts less pressure on the back though. It'd be nice to be able to do squats...

I have been on a cut cycle since February, I have lost 10lbs, and I feel like I look better than I ever have. I give myself one cheat day a week, and I have maintained my workouts. My lifts have actually gone up, which is surprising, so I am not sweating the mere 10lbs too much if I am also getting stronger.

Maybe it's more of a recomp than a real cut if my results are an indication of anything.

Still wanna lose that lower belly fat though...

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Daz » Mar 30, '16, 3:10 am

War Daddy wrote:
Daz wrote:I think if you added up everything I've ever lifted cumulatively, over the course of my entire life, it wouldn't be as heavy as that.

I did 600 when I was still a competitive powerlifter. This is easily my worst squat in recent years.

Show off.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby War Daddy » Mar 30, '16, 10:40 am

Kein wrote:I have succumbed to my back injury and decided squats and deadlifts aren't for me. I still want to try front-bar squats since it puts less pressure on the back though. It'd be nice to be able to do squats...

I have been on a cut cycle since February, I have lost 10lbs, and I feel like I look better than I ever have. I give myself one cheat day a week, and I have maintained my workouts. My lifts have actually gone up, which is surprising, so I am not sweating the mere 10lbs too much if I am also getting stronger.

Maybe it's more of a recomp than a real cut if my results are an indication of anything.

Instead of cheat day. How bout just a cheat meal :lol

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Kein » Mar 30, '16, 1:26 pm

War Daddy wrote:
Kein wrote:I have succumbed to my back injury and decided squats and deadlifts aren't for me. I still want to try front-bar squats since it puts less pressure on the back though. It'd be nice to be able to do squats...

Instead of cheat day. How bout just a cheat meal :lol

Yea, I could haha. I don't gorge myself on cheat day, I hate feeling full, but I do let myself eat breads, rice, and potatoes on the cheat day. It's usually nothing particularly unhealthy for the day, just off the more strict restrictions I gave myself.

Real bad cheats, I tend to eat carrot cake, or have some gravy on a biscuit, but excuses are excuses after all... Ill have to be more strict I suppose.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby Everlong » May 18, '16, 2:11 pm

Alright @War Daddy gimme some advice!

I recently started working out/lifting again after like, three years of being too lazy to do it, haha. I've got experience in lifting but at the same time it's been so long that I wanted to start slow and do a beginner sort of thing.

My goals: lose 10-15 pounds, generally improve strength. I don't really care about building a shit ton of muscle, I just want to feel good and be in better shape. So I don't need big gains or anything, just good health. I've already made some improvements to my diet which should help a lot.

I looked up some stuff on r/fitness on reddit and one of the beginner workouts they recommended is one I picked to follow at least for now. This is my third week. The workout was:

MONDAY: Workout A
Bench (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Squat (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Rows (3 sets 8-10 reps)

WEDNESDAY: Workout B
Deadlift (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Shoulder/military press (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Lat pulldown (3 sets 8-10 reps)

Friday: Workout A

Then in the next week it flips so you do workout B twice and workout A once.

I've added on to this 20 minutes of cardio warmup before each exercise, then on Tuesday/Thursday I do longer cardio, like 45ish minutes, with abs afterward.

What do you think about this? Anything I should be doing differently right now? Ultimately I'm going to increase the variety of exercises but I didn't want to start too quickly.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Everlong » May 18, '16, 2:11 pm

I accidentally typed Alpha Beast instead of @War Daddy... oops :lol

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Kein » May 19, '16, 5:51 pm

I would say it needs a little more legs/core (just about all workouts should utilize core) work than just Squats and Deadlifts but that's just me. Glad to hear you are getting some exercise in, and that it's for overall health. While hitting the gym and doing cardio is one aspect your diet is also another huge part of how healthy you feel.

I have also heard starting program 5x5 is a great.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby War Daddy » May 19, '16, 7:29 pm

Everlong wrote:Alright @War Daddy gimme some advice!

I recently started working out/lifting again after like, three years of being too lazy to do it, haha. I've got experience in lifting but at the same time it's been so long that I wanted to start slow and do a beginner sort of thing.

My goals: lose 10-15 pounds, generally improve strength. I don't really care about building a shit ton of muscle, I just want to feel good and be in better shape. So I don't need big gains or anything, just good health. I've already made some improvements to my diet which should help a lot.

I looked up some stuff on r/fitness on reddit and one of the beginner workouts they recommended is one I picked to follow at least for now. This is my third week. The workout was:

MONDAY: Workout A
Bench (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Squat (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Rows (3 sets 8-10 reps)

WEDNESDAY: Workout B
Deadlift (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Shoulder/military press (3 sets 8-10 reps)
Lat pulldown (3 sets 8-10 reps)

Friday: Workout A

Then in the next week it flips so you do workout B twice and workout A once.

I've added on to this 20 minutes of cardio warmup before each exercise, then on Tuesday/Thursday I do longer cardio, like 45ish minutes, with abs afterward.

What do you think about this? Anything I should be doing differently right now? Ultimately I'm going to increase the variety of exercises but I didn't want to start too quickly.

*The following statements/opinions are only associated with War Daddy and do not necessarily represent the entire fitness world,Viewer Discretion is advised*

Tim, take a seat. Class is in session and we do not allow bathroom breaks.

SO you wanna lose 15 lbs, do ya? But dont wanna put on a shit ton of muscle( :angrysanta )? Just wanna embrace overall health in the gym, life, bedroom? Look no further than powerbuilding. ANYONE, I mean, ANYONE can do this. Quite simple really, 7 sets of 2 of the big 3(squats, deads, and bench). You will add in any accessory work you deem necessary for that day. You will go Sunday, monday, wednesday, friday. No mo, no less.

The point of the 7 sets is to allow for more volume to retain MORE muscle while training intense enough to shed the pounds you want gone. I wish it were this easy to shed my ex, but i digress.

AS for cardio, Im against it but I know how you like to clear hurdles in life. :D IF you're gonnago the powerbuilding route feel free to look up HIIT cardio or just do jumprope by 1 minute rounds to you reach 15. Slow steady state on the treadmill is ok, if you prefer it(dont be a bitch tim).

However the workout you posted is actually pretty swell for a beginner. Feel free to do both and see which is better for you.

However this powerbuilding routine Ive done starting out worked wonders for me(results may vary).

Sunday FUNday:
Incline Bench Press 7x2
Flat dumbbell press 3x6
Cable Fly 6x20
Dips or Assisted Dips 2x10

Monday SUCKday:
Squats 7x2
Dumbbell Straight Leg Deadlift(Google it please) 4x8
Leg Extensions 3x6
Hamstring Curl 4x6
Calf raises 3x30 (burn baby!)

Wednesday WideBackDay:
Deadlifts 7x2
Lat pulldown 3x10
Dumbbell row 2x20
Back Extensions 2x20

Friday HolyFuckDay(Optional):
Bench 5x5
deadlift 5x5
Squats 5x5
GTFO the gym.

Now you can do it your whey or my whey, doesnt bother me. As for the diet, eat less burn more. I cant make it more simple than that. But please for the love of Planet Vegeta, do not believe a fucking thing in the fitness industry unless it has multiple sources of credibility. Supplements are entirely up to you, I love them(certain companies tho).

Feel free to hit me up at my email if you want. PM if you want it. :chug

@Everlong

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » May 20, '16, 7:20 am

I'm not really into the whole supplement scene, when it comes to what I'm putting in my body I"m just going simple as possible. Less processed food, more good meats/vegetables, fewer calories, cutting out certain items altogether. I've had good results in the past just by getting serious about my diet alone, so I generally know what I'm doing in that area.

I wouldn't say I don't WANT to put on a shit ton of muscle, just that it's not really a priority :P I mostly just care about getting stronger and healthier.

I might give that four day routine a shot. I've never done cable fly or straight leg dumbbell deadlift before so I'll have to look those up.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Previous

Return to General Sports Discussion