It is currently: May 03, '24, 1:18 pm

Fitness AMA/Discussion

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: Fitness AMA/Discussion

Postby War Daddy » Mar 21, '14, 2:19 pm

Chewy wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:
Chewy wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:
Kein wrote:How come when they do the bench press they let the bar sit down for a while?

Also when they are working the triceps, is it alright he is pulling down enough to make the weights swing up like that? I know it shows he strong but is the weight too light for him then?

The pause reps are usually done in powerlifting because it's a requirement for the bar to touch the chest. However, I assume it's just CT being a mad man as usual and Da Hulk being retarded strong :lol

Big men like that are known for not being or caring much bout form. Da Hulk looks like he goes for as many reps as possible with not too great of form. Then again, the definition of form varies, so to them, it could be normal.

Genetics will allow some guys to succeed despite poor form and let's face it, bodybuilding has as much to do with genetics as it does exercise and AS.

I agree up to a point. You can have all the genetics you want, but if you dont eat right and consistently put in the work, it wont get you nowhere.

True, perhaps over the top rating genetics, but they play their part.

They only play a part in my monstrous calves :P

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 122

Postby Chewy » Mar 21, '14, 4:32 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:
Chewy wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:
Chewy wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:
The pause reps are usually done in powerlifting because it's a requirement for the bar to touch the chest. However, I assume it's just CT being a mad man as usual and Da Hulk being retarded strong :lol

Big men like that are known for not being or caring much bout form. Da Hulk looks like he goes for as many reps as possible with not too great of form. Then again, the definition of form varies, so to them, it could be normal.

Genetics will allow some guys to succeed despite poor form and let's face it, bodybuilding has as much to do with genetics as it does exercise and AS.

I agree up to a point. You can have all the genetics you want, but if you dont eat right and consistently put in the work, it wont get you nowhere.

True, perhaps over the top rating genetics, but they play their part.

They only play a part in my monstrous calves :P

They ain't calves, they full grown bulls bro.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 21

Postby War Daddy » Mar 22, '14, 9:43 am

Dom Mazzetti is my favorite.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Kein » Mar 22, '14, 12:15 pm

I too am a fan of the bro science life. I liked his video about the noises gym people make "There Will Be Grunts" haha.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Hanley! » Mar 22, '14, 12:27 pm

I missed my last couple of gym sessions cos my shoulder was hurting. :( Not from the gym, but something else. Maybe I just slept weird on it one night. I tried going in the first day, but I was wincing even doing some of the cardio just from the movement. Did a few weights, but decided I didn't want to push it and so I went home.

It's fine again now, so I'll probably head back tomorrow. Just curious if you'd ever try to work through something like that? I figured it would always be smartest just to play it safe and stay away from the gym for a few days if hurting from something.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby War Daddy » Mar 22, '14, 2:19 pm

Hanley! wrote:I missed my last couple of gym sessions cos my shoulder was hurting. :( Not from the gym, but something else. Maybe I just slept weird on it one night. I tried going in the first day, but I was wincing even doing some of the cardio just from the movement. Did a few weights, but decided I didn't want to push it and so I went home.

It's fine again now, so I'll probably head back tomorrow. Just curious if you'd ever try to work through something like that? I figured it would always be smartest just to play it safe and stay away from the gym for a few days if hurting from something.

As long as it's not a rotator cuff issue, I just push through. My shoulder hurts all the time, but it stopped when I introduced some gel and joint stuff into my system. Supplements help, whether you believe it or not :lol

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Kein » Mar 23, '14, 1:59 pm

I am an idiot and I always work through the pain. Depends on the pain though. I have had a rotator cuff injury and I tried but it just effected my lifts way too much. It was a clear "no don't do this" kind of pain, deep inside and very unpleasant. Sometimes when I work my triceps real good my elbows are saying "ow" but its definitely something that goes away very fast after each set. I guess if its a real deep lingering pain I will consider it. But before I give up I will try other lifts to see if they are effected by it.

For example after my rotator cuff injury I was doing physical therapy but obviously healing still takes time, and I tried doing dumbbell incline press it wasn't happy at all, but doing incline bench press was alright, and using the machines for incline was alright as well. Mostly because they use a little less stabilizer muscles in the exercise, so in that sense my shoulder was more cool with it. Doing these kinds of things is nice to be aware too.

Glad you shoulder is feeling better and it was just a temporary thing.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby Hanley! » Mar 23, '14, 6:27 pm

I kinda figure that a little pain is natural at the gym - just your body reacting to strain. But I was just super sensitive even outside the gym and wanted to avoid making the situation worse. Felt really guilty about it though. Haven't been to the gym in a week now as a result, but I'm heading back in on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll get my 3 sessions in this week.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby War Daddy » Mar 23, '14, 7:51 pm

Hanley! wrote:I kinda figure that a little pain is natural at the gym - just your body reacting to strain. But I was just super sensitive even outside the gym and wanted to avoid making the situation worse. Felt really guilty about it though. Haven't been to the gym in a week now as a result, but I'm heading back in on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll get my 3 sessions in this week.

Always do a proper warm up bro.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Mar 23, '14, 10:05 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:
Hanley! wrote:I kinda figure that a little pain is natural at the gym - just your body reacting to strain. But I was just super sensitive even outside the gym and wanted to avoid making the situation worse. Felt really guilty about it though. Haven't been to the gym in a week now as a result, but I'm heading back in on Tuesday, so hopefully I'll get my 3 sessions in this week.

Yea, my warm up tends to be walking to the squat rack and I've got all kinds of posterior chain issues.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby War Daddy » Mar 24, '14, 4:40 pm

Chewy wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:

Yea, my warm up tends to be walking to the squat rack and I've got all kinds of posterior chain issues.

Have you tried a 10 minute stair walk before?

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Mar 24, '14, 9:41 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:
Chewy wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:

No.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby War Daddy » Mar 25, '14, 7:33 am

Chewy wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:
Chewy wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:

No.

Always worked for me.

Unless you're trolling me :P

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby War Daddy » Mar 25, '14, 7:51 am

Motivation from the King himself.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Mar 25, '14, 9:44 am

Went to the supermarket yesterday to buy a Mother's Day card. Left with 12 peppered steaks and two whole chickens.

Thought you guys would be proud.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby War Daddy » Mar 25, '14, 10:28 am

PorkChop wrote:Went to the supermarket yesterday to buy a Mother's Day card. Left with 12 peppered steaks and two whole chickens.

Thought you guys would be proud.

:tim :tim :tim :tim :tim

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby War Daddy » Mar 25, '14, 10:53 am

Some more motivation for life.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Mar 25, '14, 1:45 pm

How do you guys cut weight?

I've had to do it for jiujitsu a couple of times. Luckily I've never had to cut that much - 10lbs was the most I've ever done - though it's always been difficult for me. I'm a slim 195lbs, don't carry a lot of body fat on me - I'd estimate I'm about 15%, no more than 18 tops. Of course it's difficult to lose fat when you don't have a great deal in the first place.

My main tactic is cardio two or three times a day (mostly running), as well as flooding my body with water. At night I'll usually wear clothes to bed to sweat out whatever I can. I make sure I eat nothing but fish, chicken or veg as well. I try and stay away from salt too.

I'm a real amateur at it, so I welcome any tips.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Kein » Mar 25, '14, 4:18 pm

I have trouble losing that last bit of fat myself, I used to weigh a good deal more and it was easy to throw that off but now I am also struggling. But beforehand...

I lost majority of my weight first from watching the amount I eat, drinking a ton of water all day, and keeping my work outs consistent.

I actually ate very little, like, no breakfast, a can of tuna and 2 hard boiled eggs for lunch, and a protein shake after my workout. The rest of the day was water, water, water. I know it is eating nothing, but so long as my workouts didn't suffer, I was alright with the low intake. lost 30 pounds from this style before I wasn't really losing anymore. My lifting didn't go down, it actually slowly was increasing, but since I am eating more casually now I see my lifts rocketing in weight compared to when I was eating next to nothing. I have also gained 10 lbs since I started eating more, I am not concerned about the numbers though since my lifting numbers are going up and visually, I don't see any excess flab growing.

So I am clearly no expert and have put my body through some harsh shock and such, but that is something I may try again. All in all I think we should ask almighty apha beast though. Sir help us out!

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby War Daddy » Mar 25, '14, 4:24 pm

PorkChop wrote:How do you guys cut weight?

I've had to do it for jiujitsu a couple of times. Luckily I've never had to cut that much - 10lbs was the most I've ever done - though it's always been difficult for me. I'm a slim 195lbs, don't carry a lot of body fat on me - I'd estimate I'm about 15%, no more than 18 tops. Of course it's difficult to lose fat when you don't have a great deal in the first place.

My main tactic is cardio two or three times a day (mostly running), as well as flooding my body with water. At night I'll usually wear clothes to bed to sweat out whatever I can. I make sure I eat nothing but fish, chicken or veg as well. I try and stay away from salt too.

I'm a real amateur at it, so I welcome any tips.

It's a matter of eating better, not eating less. If you wann drop pounds, you gotta be calorie deficit as well. Just burn more than you consume. I consume 6 meals a day. and just eat when Im hungry. My cardio times are at 15 mintues a piece for a steady on the treadmill. Fat burners are good, but I only recommend certain ones. Chewy probably has more insight to it, he's been in the game longer :lol

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports Discussion