It is currently: May 10, '24, 2:00 am

Graeme Swann retires from international cricket

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Graeme Swann retires from international cricket

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 21, '13, 8:39 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25481772

I know he was having a bad series but expected him to carry on as he seemed one of those guys keen to make amends. He wasn't as impactful in the summer either and I guess the battering they are taking probably didn't help. But fantastic international career after being brought back in 2008 - seems a good character aswell.

Panesar will get his chance but tbh besides that, will struggle for that wicket taking bowler Swann was.

I wouldn't mind Adil Rashid of Yorkshire get a try but doubt selectors will go for him.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Graeme Swann retires from international cricket

Postby prophet » Dec 22, '13, 8:45 am

Yeah his form has dipped considerably as of late and the Ashes hasn't gone as planned but to retire mid-series pisses me off - we're already in the shit and he's chosen to bail when things are at it's worst rather than see it through to the end with his team-mates then retire afterwards. He's always seemed like a good bloke and his career speaks for itself, Swanny was one of my favourite players in the squad but the manner in which he's chosen to retire irritates me if I'm perfectly honest.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 22, '13, 12:06 pm

^On the one hand I thought if he is struggling physically big time then I can understand to go mid-way through. But it seems he's retiring because he might have been dropped from the next Test and if he's done so to avoid the humiliation of having to sit in the stands then that's disappointing. Even if he was dropped, nothing wrong, as a senior player to support your team when not playing. I can't help but think that sadly, people will remember how he left than his brilliant moments as a spinner for his country.

Also, he conveniently announces the news as his column for the Sun on Sunday publishes (news broke just before mid-night on Saturday and when the next day's papers are known).

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 22, '13, 7:53 pm

Prep for the next Test not helped by Swann's apparent criticism of his ex-team mates.

TBH, I think he's probably talking about one dude in there [Pietersen] and he'd probably be spot on. Don't like the guy at at all. Level of hypocrisy of people criticising Swann for saying these comments about how they should be kept in-house probably said jack all when Pietersen decided to publically expose his relationship with his team-mates in 2012.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Return to General Sports Discussion