It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 9:43 am

Phil "CM Punk" Brooks to fight in UFC again

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Phil "CM Punk" Brooks to fight in UFC again

Postby The Legend » Mar 12, '18, 3:59 pm

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 331

Re: Phil "CM Punk" Brooks to fight in UFC again

Postby Messiah » Mar 12, '18, 7:44 pm

Not sure I would consider what he did the first time around to be "fighting".

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 470

Postby The Legend » Mar 12, '18, 9:18 pm

Messiah wrote:Not sure I would consider what he did the first time around to be "fighting".

Fair point

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby KaiserGlider » Mar 12, '18, 11:16 pm

I can't think of anything witty/mean to say so frankly, I wish Phil the best of luck. I can only imagine how embarrassing it's going to be for him if he gets completely outclassed again like he did against Gall. If he wins or at least looks like he improved considerably since last time, he can cut a good post-fight promo and end his fighting career on a positive note.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 13, '18, 5:24 am

I was wondering whether with Mania near, he might be keeping quiet ahead of a shock return but this killed it. As as said before me, if he's able to give a better performance and not lose as embarrassingly as he did - which tbf he's got the shoulders to carry that humiliation and move on - then it's a positive note to potentially finish on but whether that's enough for him, I doubt it.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Everlong » Mar 13, '18, 12:28 pm

Dude should just enjoy his retirement without embarrassing himself.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Mar 13, '18, 4:48 pm

If he wins this fight, then maybe this was a good idea.

Maybe. It's not like it's going to turn him into a major drawing power in the UFC overnight either, so you have to wonder what's even in it for Punk at his age. I guess he's trying to prove himself, or gain a little redemption. Chances are that neither of these things are going to happen.

If he loses though, this whole experiment has been a bit of a disaster. He'll have damaged his legacy, turned a lot of fans against him, and may have even damaged his ability to draw in other ventures. I'm sure if he decided to get back into wrestling he could still make a lot of money there, but probably not as much as before he got embarrassed twice in the UFC.

I feel for the guy a little. He should have had a run for a couple of years at least as the top guy of the WWE. It didn't pan out, so he left and went to the UFC to be just some guy at the bottom of the card, without much potential. It's a strange one.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Mar 13, '18, 9:15 pm

Everlong wrote:Dude should just enjoy his retirement without embarrassing himself.

Those diet sodas ain't gonna pay for themselves.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby PorkChop » Mar 15, '18, 11:28 am

Hanley! wrote:I'm sure if he decided to get back into wrestling he could still make a lot of money there, but probably not as much as before he got embarrassed twice in the UFC.

In all fairness though, Rousey has had her dead caved in twice in her last two fights with both knockouts turning into international memes, and WWE fans still go crazy for her. Cain Velasquez smacked Brock Lesnar so hard that he started breakdancing and then he got picked apart by Overeem, then a while later received the loudest pop I've ever heard in 20-odd years of watching wrestling.

I get that they were both UFC champions - which Punk will never be - but you can certainly still be a draw in wrestling after being embarrassed in the UFC. I don't think Punk will ever return to wrestling, and if he did, it wouldn't be for the money.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Circled Square » Mar 15, '18, 12:37 pm

keep your gun at home Phil
don't take your gun to town Phil

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby The Legend » Mar 15, '18, 4:54 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Hanley! wrote:I'm sure if he decided to get back into wrestling he could still make a lot of money there, but probably not as much as before he got embarrassed twice in the UFC.

In all fairness though, Rousey has had her dead caved in twice in her last two fights with both knockouts turning into international memes, and WWE fans still go crazy for her. Cain Velasquez smacked Brock Lesnar so hard that he started breakdancing and then he got picked apart by Overeem, then a while later received the loudest pop I've ever heard in 20-odd years of watching wrestling.

I get that they were both UFC champions - which Punk will never be - but you can certainly still be a draw in wrestling after being embarrassed in the UFC. I don't think Punk will ever return to wrestling, and if he did, it wouldn't be for the money.

You mention that they were both champions and that's huge. They gained credability in combat sports, even if they eventually lost it. Punk just looks like a guy that gets his ass kicked if he gets in a real fight, which does hurt his cred in wrestling even if it's scripted.

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Messiah » Mar 19, '18, 9:04 am

I don't think any WWE fans will care that Punk couldn't win in a MMA fight. It's different with him than it is someone like Lesnar or Rousey. Punk's gimmick isn't dependent on him being a tough guy like it is for the latter two, both of which have proven their toughness at points in their MMA career. People like Punk largely because he's charismatic as hell.

Doesn't matter anyway. I've never been more certain about a guy not returning to the WWE more than I am with Punk. I do think he will wrestle again down the road, probably within 2 years of his last MMA fight (more than likely this one upcoming unless he wins), but it would be for NJPW or something along those lines.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Everlong » Jun 10, '18, 5:58 am

Well, he lost again, and from what I hear it was another embarrassing showing for him.

Dude should just call it quits. Should've never tried MMA in the first place.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 10, '18, 2:07 pm

He was outclassed as the fight went on but he did well for the first half the first round but he was gassed by the end of it. He was throwing kicks quite early which would expend alot of energy and tbf, he dug in and stayed in the fight but odd his opponent, who himself seems to have come from a journalism/law background?, didn't finish him off. Punk was bloodied and battered by the end of it and was sent to hospital as a precaution but he seems to be OK. With the week he's had, if you'd said he'd win his court case to avoid financial ruin and lose the fight last night, he'd have taken that.

I would be amazed if he carried on and surely his team will encourage him to call it a day but I have to say, his time in the UFC and seeing him want to do well post-WWE has really made me like him on a personal level so good on him for giving it his best shot and putting in the work, but it's probably not going to end in success for him.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Jun 13, '18, 12:25 pm

Simply put there's a reason why you don't see guys all of a sudden make a career as a professional athlete by picking up a sport in their mid to late 30's. Time isn't on Punk's side and it never was going to be and I think the human body passes it's athletic prime by Punk's age, especially if you aren't competing in it before that point of your life.

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 14, '18, 3:20 am

^Especially when it comes to timing and consistency in your work - I don't know Jackson's background but it seems he was in a different career but he was a Golden Gloves champion at least, and that showed with his punches where as Punk had very minimal success on the ground but even then, his opponent was in complete control. Still admire him for giving it a shot but not surprised White just saw publicity and signed him instantly but financially, it's probably not going to be a big hit for the company.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Return to General Sports Discussion