It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 3:41 am

Canelo v GGG

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Canelo v GGG

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 15, '17, 5:09 am

Now this a fight I'm ordering tomorrow and one that I'd recommend anyone interested in boxing to do so as well.

A 50-50 fight between two guys at the top of their game even though GGG has looked more vulnerable lately but I think Canelo's boxing skills might be conducive for him long-term in the fight to win on points. But it's tantalising to think what if GGG drops a big bomb shot on Canelo and how he responds.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Canelo v GGG

Postby PorkChop » Sep 15, '17, 6:04 am

I'd even encourage people who aren't fans of boxing to order this fight. On paper, this is a fantastic fight and the best contest boxing has produced in some time. However, now I've said this the fight is destined to be a stinker.

I'm rooting for Canelo. I don't see him stopping GGG but Canelo performing at his best could definitely see him pick up the decision win if he stays out of trouble and avoids any big shots.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Sep 17, '17, 4:02 am

Funny that boxing purists shat all over the pomp and spectacle that was Floyd/Conor and now 'their' fight has ended with such controversy. The judge that scored it 118-110 to Canelo should never work again.

I scored it to GGG quite comfortably. Happy to see them run it back though.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ShaneOfan » Sep 18, '17, 4:12 pm

I had it pretty damn close. Either a drawl or a slight edge to GGG. I am a huge Canelo fan but 118-110 is ridiculous.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 20, '17, 5:31 am

As it was a fight worthy to buy, I had hoped to watch it in comfort via my TV but Boxnation/Sky fuck up meant I had to switch from a few streams on Facebook but hey ho..

I was actually impressed by Canelo early on as he seemed to relying on footwork, movement to get in and get out from GGG's bombs but gradually as the fight wore on, it became clear he was attempting to do that for all of the fight than stand and trade, get involved close up. So many times Canelo narrowly escaped a right hand from Golovkin whilst being stuck on the ropes. Golovkin took his opponent's shots naturally at his weight and didn't seem affected at all. It was a close battle but it was clear Golovkin had done enough to win and that judge calling it so widely was just as much embarrassment, if not more, of the Mayweather McGregor farce. Ol' Oscar's words on the latter fight comes back to haunt his own mega-fight. A disaster to some degree that the fight that deserved a definitive verdict didn't get one.

I doubt a rematch is happening. Oscar will want to protect his boy judging on that evidence despite the money and even more attention a Canelo v GGG II fight would have. Hopefully money supersedes the fear of a loss for Canelo.

Billy Joe Saunders may have a chance but oddly he's talking up a fight with Amir Khan (probably as it'd be an easy KO and a decent enough big name on his CV). Maybe a rematch takes place next year rather than straight after which would be ideal for Canelo's team.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Return to General Sports Discussion