It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 5:02 am

Confirmed: Mayweather v McGregor on August 26th

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: Confirmed: Mayweather v McGregor on August 26th

Postby Messiah » Jul 15, '17, 11:51 am

Everything they do just feels so forced.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 470

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 15, '17, 1:25 pm

I didn't watch the re-cap from Brooklyn as that was described as a lacklustre affair with London being slightly better to finish off. But, it was one even too many so had they just done Toronto, that would have been sufficient.

It's all smoke and mirrors really by the end of the tour - besides those casuals, the fans of both sports see through the staged insults and it's a tad boring. Mayweather just repeats the same stuff but least Conor is more on his feet with his responses. I'd hate to have been a fan attending, with the interminable wait for them to come on.

It's turned slightly distasteful with the accusations of racism, homophobic comments and tbh, I had no idea the racial undertones that 'dance for me boy' had, but really, it's what you expect from both of them. Yet this fight will attract media individuals who abhor it for the aforementioned comments rather than understanding that this is the norm for Floyd and Conor to push their trash talk to the line.

On the fight itself, if Floyd doesn't KO Conor then it's bad for boxing. If McGregor walks way without getting KO'd and sees 12 rounds with Floyd, he'll have 'won' and he'll be able to saunter into the UFC boasting that he fought the P4P boxer and didn't get put on his back. Floyd won't be bothered as he'll retire 50-0 with another prodigious pay cheque but IMO, he has to stop him definitively. Conor, will try to go early and use his MMA background to try and conjure up a new, unseen problem for Floyd to solve but if he goes 12 rounds and loses, that's not a bad result for 30mins work against the best in boxing.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 30, '17, 2:15 pm

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... rebutton-b

I didn't know McGregor had referred to his sparring partners as "monkeys" which included African Americans but fairly neat article in summing up the entertainment event that it is.

No news yet on which broadcaster has picked up the rights in the UK to it..

I may stream it if I do decide to watch it anyway

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 02, '17, 2:08 pm

Sky Sports Box Office have got the rights to this fight for £19.99. American viewers will be paying close to $100 for it!

I probably stream if I decide to stay up to watch it rather than fork out the PPV cash but was amusing to see SSN hype it up with the non-swearing clips of the world tour and categorising the darker elements of the tour as 'things turning sour'.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby prophet » Aug 03, '17, 3:26 pm

Say what you will but I for one get a real kick out of seeing McGregor plastered all over Sky Sports and seeing them discuss him on Sky Sports News. He's become a true transcendent star.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Aug 04, '17, 3:38 am

McGregor is the biggest star that the UFC have ever produced. Not even Rousey transcended the sport to this level.

It's quite remarkable to watch. Love him or hate him, McGregor is a smart man.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » Aug 04, '17, 5:47 pm

PorkChop wrote:It's quite remarkable to watch. Love him or hate him, McGregor is a smart man.

Is he though?

I have to say that I've never really understood what people see in him. I hear people talking about him like he's the best promo in wrestling or mixed martial arts, and I don't see that at all. Maybe it's because I live in Dublin and you'll find one of his kind talking shit on any street corner in the city centre. He's not particularly clever or eloquent or anything like that. He's just a mouthy Dublin scumbag.

It seems to me that outside of being a pretty good fighter, the only special thing about McGregor is that he has no filter whatsoever when he's in front of a camera but people keep putting him in front of cameras anyway.

He's become very successful as a result, and I suppose he deserves some credit for that, but I'm not sure how smart he really is. It's not like there are no successful idiots out there. It feels like thousands of people out there could have been cast in this role, it just happened to be McGregor.

That being said I don't follow him or the sport much when I can avoid it, so I can't claim to have as informed an opinion on him as others here.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 06, '17, 9:38 am

Like Mayweather, Conor has smart people around him and those who lead the UFC that know how to channel that personality (for all its appeal and faults) into money. Why ask him to alter his behaviour when it helps ring the bells at the tills?

It's outlandish, in your face behaviour that sells to an audience well accustomed to him and it alienates - bordering on disgusts - those outside of it.

Some are able to add subtly and nuance at times that helps endear them to different people but both in this fight seen unable to do that.

Looking at preparations for both men, Conor's beef with Malignaggi continuing..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Aug 13, '17, 9:14 am

Anyone seen the sparring footage with Malignaggi?

We're only seeing like 1% of their sparring match, but in that video Malignaggi gets whooped.

Floyd is still winning though.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 13, '17, 1:55 pm

Yeah, I saw clips of it. It sounds like propaganda by Dana to hype the fight but convenient of them to ignore that Malignaggi has been out of the ring since retirement, and is hardly the competitive sparring you want to be boasting about. I hope Conor has been receiving sparring more stringent than that - Floyd ain't giving him that much opportunity that's for sure.

Is anyone ordering it or streaming? I'm half tempted to order it if there's a few decents fights on the undercard. Nathan Cleverly's title fight is on it as well.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 22, '17, 8:50 am

So thankful this fight has fallen on a Bank Holiday weekend otherwise I wouldn't have tuned in to avoid weariness on a Monday morning.

Having said that, not fully sure whether to order it or risk a stream failing on me in the early hours.

Interested how the build up will be continued during the fight week. I hope it focuses on the fight rather than some of the nonsense spouted during the world tour that got tiresome by the end of it.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Aug 26, '17, 3:08 am

Does Floyd think that people don't notice that he wears two inch lifts?

He was scrambling to get his shoes back on after the weigh in. It's embarrassing.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 26, '17, 1:34 pm

If Conor's getting outclassed he'll resort to a DQ which would be a fitting ending for this fight tbh. Is rough start time between 4.30-5am? If I find a stream, I'll watch it or listen to radio commentary.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Aug 26, '17, 4:01 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:If Conor's getting outclassed he'll resort to a DQ which would be a fitting ending for this fight tbh. Is rough start time between 4.30-5am? If I find a stream, I'll watch it or listen to radio commentary.

If you do find a stream, hit me up. I'll do the same.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » Aug 26, '17, 4:25 pm

If Connor so much as touches Mayweather I'll be shocked.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Everlong » Aug 26, '17, 5:02 pm

I'll probably stream this like I do with all Mayweather fights, and end up regretting it like I do with all Mayweather fights.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Circled Square » Aug 27, '17, 12:23 am

I went in wanting to see McGregor get his ass beat but was honestly impressed that he lasted so long. People saying it was stopped too early, but it didn't matter, Conor was gassed and ready to get knocked out anyway.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby prophet » Aug 27, '17, 1:28 am

That went how I expected it to go. Floyd let Conor do his thing early on so his 50-0 win had some legitimacy and then stopped it when he felt like it.

Conor can leave with his head held high having won the first 3 rounds and landed a fair few punches but make no mistake; Floyd did Conor a favour and let him take those early rounds.

I'd like to see McGregor fight Diaz again now. Khabib doesn't deserve it.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Aug 27, '17, 3:33 am

prophet wrote:That went how I expected it to go. Floyd let Conor do his thing early on so his 50-0 win had some legitimacy and then stopped it when he felt like it.

Conor can leave with his head held high having won the first 3 rounds and landed a fair few punches but make no mistake; Floyd did Conor a favour and let him take those early rounds.

I'd like to see McGregor fight Diaz again now. Khabib doesn't deserve it.

Tony Ferguson deserves it infinitely more than Diaz. It would be a better fight too.

Of course, the UFC will give it to Diaz because money is king.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 27, '17, 5:23 pm

As expected, McGregor started off brightly for the first 3/4 rounds but really considering the punchers Floyd has been in with those attacks by Conor were powder puff. He never was in trouble. And as predicted, stamina issues would creep in and Conor was gassed out quickly. He did well to hang in there but Floyd toyed with him to drag it out and make it last. It has been said that McGregor's boxing ability was limited (hence why he moved into MMA) and nothing to shout home about and it showed.

Ultimately, all parties walk away happy. Floyd goes to 50-0 and retires with a huge retirement payment; Conor gets his biggest payday ever and can still walk back into the UFC unaffected; Promoters make the money and Vegas. They all walk away and boxing's credibility remains at a lesser state.

GGG-Canelo, one hopes, will deliver into a fascinating fight.

Glad I didn't fork out money for it but heard Froch was getting panned for his commentary..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports Discussion