It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 11:57 am

Does anyone still like the NBA as much as they used to?

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Does anyone still like the NBA as much as they used to?

Postby Messiah » Jun 05, '17, 8:09 am

Me, personally, I have never been a huge NBA person. Just always preferred football. However, I've always loved watching the NBA playoffs because they can get intense and have had some of my favorite games of all-time. This year was the first time I basically skipped out on every single playoff game until the finals and the finals at this point are just a destruction as well. The Warriors are guaranteed to win the championship this year and next year. And will win it in the '18-'19 season unless something drastic happens, like Paul going to the Spurs this year and LeBron going there in 2018.

So if you are an NBA fan, has your interest in it dropped because of this? Warriors have 4 of the top 20 players in the NBA. 2 of the top 3 overall players (Curry and Durant). 2 of the best defensive players (Thompson and Green).

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Does anyone still like the NBA as much as they used to?

Postby Everlong » Jun 05, '17, 9:44 am

Yeah, there was no point in watching any of the season until the finals. And at this point, the finals are just a formality too. All the fun has been taken out of the league.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Re: Does anyone still like the NBA as much as they used to?

Postby Ali » Jun 05, '17, 6:32 pm

I still watch the Dallas Mavericks because, hey, they're my team.

But it is incredibly hard to care about this season. I don't mean to really seem like too much of a homer, but think back to 2011. The Miami Heat formed a massive superteam of Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Chris Bosh. On the other side were the Mavs, who had a reputation of being "soft," and only had one superstar in Dirk Nowitzki. That created a compelling story, when a team led by a foreign tall white dude ended up upsetting the team that had basically three of the top guys in the NBA.

This year, there's nothing compelling, nothing interesting about this series. Its Superteam vs. Superteam, the defending Champions against the last Champions, who by the way added another of the Top 3 players in the NBA to an already dominant team! They both ran roughshod over the rest of the Playoff teams, they never faced any adversity or challenge, this is exactly the matchup everybody predicted when the season started, and neither team winning could possibly be considered an upset! It's not an upset for the defending Champions to retain their title, and it's not an upset for a team that was ALREADY in the Finals to add another MVP-caliber player and win the whole thing!

I just don't care beyond being kind of angry about the whole thing. It wasn't like the Lakers-Celtics rivalry, its not like you had Hakeem Olajuwon or Michael Jordan trading themselves to those teams so they could have the glory of a Championship RIGHT NOW. It's not like the 90s Bulls, which at least faced five different teams over six Finals series. I guess you could compare it to the Kobe/Shaq Lakers, but even they faced different teams, and when they added Karl Malone and Gary Payton to form the proto-Superteam as we know it, they lost!

It's boring, it's uninteresting, and it just kind of makes me mad.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Return to General Sports Discussion