It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 6:42 am

Ireland beat the All Blacks in Chicago - a win 111 years in the making

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Ireland beat the All Blacks in Chicago - a win 111 years in the making

Postby Hanley! » Nov 05, '16, 6:37 pm

The All Blacks are and always have been the best team in world rugby. Their current coaches regime has been described by many as the best team in rugby history. They also recently racked up an impressive 18 game undefeated streak - the longest sequence of uninterrupted wins in international test rugby history.

We've also never beaten them. Munster (my provincial team) beat them once back in the 70s. Ireland tied against them once. But mostly they've beaten us like a drum a whole bunch of times since the first time we played them back in 1905.

Today their undefeated streak against us and their longest undefeated run ever came to an end when we beat them in Chicago. Making us the Brock Lesnars of the rugby world right now. A massive, history-making match for the Irish. There'll be a lot of sore Irish heads tomorrow both here and in the states.

The game was held in America as a way to try and get the Americans more interested in rugby union. They couldn't have asked for a much better game to try and sell the sport. One of the best of the year - if not the best. A real nail biter. Ireland won 40-29, but there were just 4 points in it there for a while and it really looked like it could go either way.

History being made all over the sports world this week. I'm fucking hyped.

@HFX, any chance you were watching this? We're facing you lot soon, you know. ;)

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Ireland beat the All Blacks in Chicago - a win 111 years in the making

Postby Hanley! » Nov 05, '16, 9:00 pm

Highlights!

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Nov 06, '16, 8:45 am

This is way cooler than the Cubs' ending a 108 year drought :tim Go Ireland :tim :tim :chug3

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby HFX » Nov 07, '16, 10:41 am

One thing @Hanley!, Cyprus has the longest undefeated streak in International history with 24 games. Though the All Blacks do hold the record for a Tier 1 country.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11732581

And ya I watched most of the game at my brothers place. We hooked his computer up to his TV and somehow found a TV quality stream which we enjoyed. Unfortunately that was the only way Canadians could watch it as no provider picked it up here. Event the Yanks couldn't watch it live as NBC Sports only showed it on delay later that night.

It was a real good game with Ireland keeping great pressure throughout the match. The green jerseys were just smashing anything in black. I happened to be wearing all black clothing at the time and half expected to be hit out of nowhere :lol . There was a bit in the 2nd half where I was worried New Zealand would pull out their traditional All Blacks comeback after they scored two relatively quick tries but Ireland just impressively cranked up the pressure. Was a great moment in Ireland sports history. I'm pretty sure the rematch in two weeks will be a different story but for now enjoy this moment in history and maybe you'll stun them again.

Also Ireland will completely thrash Canada next week. We were never going to win but if we had all our best players and avoided stupid penalties it might have been a good game for 50-60 minutes. Instead we get to see an absolute ass pounding on free-to-air national television as CBC somehow got their hands on the game.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby Hanley! » Nov 07, '16, 12:17 pm

Didn't realise that about Cyprus. I've seen the New Zealand statistic posted everywhere over the last month, but maybe the Tier 1 country thing is just supposed to be implied. Pretty damn impressive stat for the All Blacks either way.

I heard a couple of interesting stats since on Saturday's result. Apparently we're only the third team ever to put 40 points on New Zealand. The other two being South Africa and France. And I also heard that in the 6 games of the Rugby Championship, New Zealand conceded 5 tries - the same amount they conceded against Ireland on Saturday. Not too shabby.

I do expect things to go differently in the Aviva in 2 weeks. They'll be eager to get their revenge, and they'll have a wider pitch to work with which suits their game plan and hurts ours. And New Zealand are always favourites going into any game; the Ireland win doesn't change that. Still, I reckon if we keep up the good work, it could be a cracker.

There are probably a lot of New Zealand fans who will melt down if we beat them again. It'd be worth it for that alone. :lol A lot of people are now talking about the Lions tour next year as being more competitive. Fuck the Lions. I want Ireland to have another go themselves.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Return to General Sports Discussion