It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 9:49 pm

Ronda Rousey UFC return confirmed

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Ronda Rousey UFC return confirmed

Postby PorkChop » Oct 12, '16, 12:37 pm

She's returning on December 30th, at UFC 207, against currently bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes. Confirmed just now by MMAFighting.com.

She doesn't deserve the title shot coming off a massive knockout loss, but UFC want those $$$$$.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Ronda Rousey UFC return confirmed

Postby Hanley! » Oct 12, '16, 2:43 pm

Didn't she just lose that one match though? After a long, dominant winning streak as the UFC's biggest female draw and probably their biggest draw in general during that period?

Obviously money talks in the MMA world, and the fight that's likely to draw the most money is the one the company is likely to make, regardless of whether a fighter has earned that spot. But I'm not sure I'd call Rousey undeserving in this instance anyway.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 12, '16, 3:21 pm

How long has she been gone at this point? It feels like forever.

Hopefully she wins. If she comes back after all this time and loses that's probably it for her in MMA.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby KaiserGlider » Oct 12, '16, 8:17 pm

I hope Rousey destroys her to reclaim that unbeatable aura, and because I don't know who the other one is.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Kein » Oct 14, '16, 4:19 pm

Hope Ronda wins. I also believe if she loses she will be out of MMA possibly for good. I'd like to see her compete more.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Daz » Oct 14, '16, 10:21 pm

I understand why UFC are giving her a title shot, and to be fair, the division has been playing hot potato with the title since Ronda lost it. Bringing Ronda back in the hope that she wins the title would set up some big rematches with Holm, Tate and Nunes, so it's the best decision from a business standpoint as far as I'm concerned. She could probably win all those fights too, if she fights smarter, which she didn't do against Holm.

On the other hand, another loss would probably rock her confidence enough that she'd call it a day with MMA.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby PorkChop » Oct 15, '16, 10:39 am

I'd still fancy Holm to beat her again, though I think Rousey would beat Tate and Pena. I don't know about Nunes.

I just can't bear the thought of hearing all the stupid hyperbole that would come with another Rousey title reign. Joe Rogan saying that Rousey was a "once in human history athlete" and would beat most male bantamweights still makes me cringe.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby Daz » Oct 17, '16, 4:04 am

PorkChop wrote:I'd still fancy Holm to beat her again, though I think Rousey would beat Tate and Pena. I don't know about Nunes.

I just can't bear the thought of hearing all the stupid hyperbole that would come with another Rousey title reign. Joe Rogan saying that Rousey was a "once in human history athlete" and would beat most male bantamweights still makes me cringe.

I don't know about Holm beating Rousey again.

Holm was excellent in their first fight but I think Ronda's mentality going into it played a pretty significant part of the loss. She definitely bought into her own hype and went in there thinking she was invincible. Getting rocked by those early shots proved her wrong, and stupidly she went chasing Holm and got knocked the fuck out as a result. You would imagine, having been humbled like that, she would fight smarter in a rematch, control the space and shoot for the takedowns. On the ground, I don't think Holm could come close to competing with Ronda.

It'd definitely be an interesting fight though.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Return to General Sports Discussion