It is currently: Jun 23, '24, 1:20 pm

Bill Simmons leaving ESPN/Grantland

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Bill Simmons leaving ESPN/Grantland

Postby Str8Shooter » May 08, '15, 8:45 am

Pretty big news as he's built himself into a powerful person at ESPN. I guess I'd call myself a fan.

Grantland has some really good stuff too, it sounds like it might continue, but I would imagine some will leave and it probably won't be the same.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Re: Bill Simmons leaving ESPN/Grantland

Postby Everlong » May 08, '15, 8:58 am

Wow, that's huge. Grantland is what I'm really upset about with this. Simmons has built it into possibly the best site for sports analysis and columns on the internet. It's actually the inspiration for the site that I built with Steve and Taj recently. I really hope the site doesn't suffer with him leaving.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Str8Shooter » May 08, '15, 9:02 am

Everlong wrote:Wow, that's huge. Grantland is what I'm really upset about with this. Simmons has built it into possibly the best site for sports analysis and columns on the internet. It's actually the inspiration for the site that I built with Steve and Taj recently. I really hope the site doesn't suffer with him leaving.

Sadly I can't imagine how it wouldn't be affected. It felt like Simmons pretty much had carte blanche to do what he liked with it. I mean when you have podcasts and articles about TV shows, reality shows, and so on.

I hope ESPN doesn't pull the plug on the wrestling stuff they do on there.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Postby The Legend » May 08, '15, 9:13 am

Eh, I've always found Simmons to be one of the biggest blowhards working for ESPN.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby xgamr » May 08, '15, 10:25 am

>Grantland, the sports and entertainment site run by Simmons for ESPN, will be unaffected by his departure, Skipper said.

we'll see what happens when he does leave

wonder what hell do once he leaves

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby Ali » May 08, '15, 10:36 am

I am really going to miss the Bill and Jalen stuff. Grantland had some of the best analysis of any sports site, and I think it might be hard to maintain it's integrity without Simmons heading it.

But for Bill himself, he can pretty much do anything. The Bill Simmons Brand is big enough that he'll get offers from every network, and he could easily start another Grantland-esque startup. I'm one of those who follows Bill Simmons more than Grantland, because I trust him as one of the smartest basketball minds around. It's going to be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby DBSoT » May 08, '15, 10:42 am

Minus the over the top Boston fandom, I really liked Simmons and will miss him as part of Grantland. The Book of Basketball is one of the best sports book ever.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Return to General Sports Discussion