It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 3:08 am

Thoughts needed - responsive design for forum

This is the forum where admin/moderator announcements and any discussion about the forums should take place.

Thoughts needed - responsive design for forum

Postby Everlong » Mar 28, '16, 9:01 am

Hey guys,

So it's been clear to me for the last year/year and a half that if we're ever going to see an increase in search engine traffic and new users, we're going to need a more mobile-friendly design. Google penalizes static websites and rewards those with responsive designs these days.

We also need to regularly post content to the home page, but that hasn't been happening much for a variety of reasons (mostly me slacking).

My question at this point is this:

We are seeing regularly declining numbers of people viewing the site, and posting frequency has dropped by a lot. Is it worth the time and potential financial investment for me to upgrade this site to be mobile-friendly, or are we content with the community that we have?

I know it's a tough question to answer, because when we first migrated from WWE-club a few years ago there was the hope that we could survive and thrive for a long time. But basically at this point we need to upgrade to a mobile-friendly site if we're going to have hope of growth. This will likely mean me hiring someone for the project, as I don't know that I have the ability to build it myself, though I could at least give a shot.

I could definitely use some feedback. Thanks!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Thoughts needed - responsive design for forum

Postby SlightlyJames » Mar 28, '16, 10:24 am

Everlong wrote:Is it worth the time and potential financial investment for me to upgrade this site to be mobile-friendly, or are we content with the community that we have?

This is just me but I am pretty fine with the group we have, it's a shame that not as many people are coming around these days but there are still some solid folk who are about regularly and when there's something to be talked about people tend to pop out of the woodwork.

I know that I'm here multiple times per day. I don't always have anything to say but I am always around, like I said before I've kinda dropped into a state of not really having anything to talk about that folk round here seem overly interested in. That's nobody's fault really it's just a difference of interests, and that's fine but it's why you don't see me post much.

So as far as the site layout and search engine stuff, that's entirely up to you.It's your money and your website. I've never really been super invested in growth and whatnot but if it's something you view as important then it's your call. I'll be around, either way.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Westcoastvibes » Mar 28, '16, 11:55 am

I would be for a mobile friendly layout since i visit solely on my phone or tablet. If it increases the user activities then i am all for that also, i wouldnt mind chipping in for it either. But, if its a truly expensive process or something that would require more m9ney than its worth then i dont know. It would be nice to see activity increase though

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Hanley! » Mar 28, '16, 12:07 pm

It is becoming a bit more clear that this community can't sustain the site as it is. It was fine when we had a small group of members who were very active and created a lot of threads and posts, but that hasn't been happening for quite a while now. It seems like people have run out of things to say, as we're not posting nearly as much as we once were. Not even during Wrestlemania season.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Daz » Mar 28, '16, 12:09 pm

Definitely in favour of a redesign. Even if it doesn't help gain new members, refreshing things up might revitalize some of the current ones.

Things I'd like to see - lighter colour scheme, ditching the side bar, betting header image etc.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Everlong » Mar 28, '16, 1:09 pm

Right now these are the themes I'm looking at. Keep in mind colors and stuff can be customized, this just gives an idea of layout. All of these would be compatible across all devices.

http://sitesplat.com/demo/phpBB3/

http://phpbb3.pixelgoose.com/preview-me ... ue%20Metro

http://themeforest.net/item/marina-resp ... f=tommyngo

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Mar 28, '16, 1:51 pm

First one with less blue would work for me.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Viazon » Mar 28, '16, 1:53 pm

Anything the get more people to the site, I'm all for. I'll admit, I haven't been as active on here as I once was. I used to be online everyday. Now I visit here a couple of times a week and post a few things. Maybe if there were more members, there would be more post and that would build up discussion. I generally find that people post more when they first join a forum. So it could help a lot.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby BrautFan » Mar 28, '16, 3:02 pm

I would say it's not 100% a design problem. It's the content and people. Which is precisely why my FB page is limited to a thimbleful of people despite my meeting a lot of people in person. There are people who don't like me, and people I don't like. It's often mutual. I'm okay with that! Such "dislike" is only a threat to me when it interferes with my livelihood and or duty to ensure someone else's safety.

Human interest will generate traffic for a limited time, but asking random people on the Internet for commitment is a .... to me, ridiculous endeavor. Unless you center it around a well-defined set of topics worth discussing, with a group of people with shared interests, experiences, values, and expectations of what is gained from a forum.

BrautFan None specified
Jobber
Jobber

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 11

Postby Everlong » Mar 28, '16, 3:05 pm

I'm not asking people for any kind of commitment, I'm just looking for input as to what direction I take.

And while it's not 100 percent a design problem, that does play a gigantic factor in search engine rankings. People can't find us if we don't rank well, and we can't rank well if we don't have a mobile-friendly design.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby BrautFan » Mar 28, '16, 3:07 pm

I respect your thinking. This is true to some extent, but it will not explain 100% of the variance in your traffic.

Nerd scientist over here. I'm defending my dissertation soon, and I'm looking for a "real" fight out of somebody to prep me. Got anything else? LOL, just kidding.

BrautFan None specified
Jobber
Jobber

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 11

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 28, '16, 4:05 pm

If you're going to upgrade to make it more accessible on the phone, might be an idea to see who currently, or who does now, view the forum on a mobile phone? I wouldn't mind but my phone isn't great anyway but I'd give it a go. If our current members aren't that interested in viewing the forum on their phone, is it worth it to spend all that effort in an upgrade when it might not result in the increase in members we want? Things are quiet but I kinda like the group we have. Again, more articles on the home page etc might help.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Westcoastvibes » Mar 28, '16, 5:19 pm

Everlong wrote:Right now these are the themes I'm looking at. Keep in mind colors and stuff can be customized, this just gives an idea of layout. All of these would be compatible across all devices.

http://sitesplat.com/demo/phpBB3/

http://phpbb3.pixelgoose.com/preview-me ... ue%20Metro

http://themeforest.net/item/marina-resp ... f=tommyngo

I prefer the 3rd one myself

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Return to Forum Info and Discussion