It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 8:56 pm

Few things I've noticed

This is the forum where admin/moderator announcements and any discussion about the forums should take place.

Few things I've noticed

Postby SlightlyJames » Nov 30, '13, 10:00 pm

Just figured I'd mention a couple of things I've noticed on my first visit to the new forum, I should start by saying that even though the board is new I think it by and large looks fantastic, you guys have done a great job. Image

I don't know if it was just me but the plain text at the top of the board looks really shitty next to that awesome header we've got now, I'm not sure if that's planned to change at all but for the hell of it I played around in PS and made a sort of mock up of what it might look like with a wood background and more prominent text. (And if it was made by a five year old).

I didn't have an avatar on the old board, but I noticed on the new one I have an ugly broken image underneath my name, I tried deleting the image in case it had put something there by mistake but it's just there no matter what, I think broken images were mentioned in the announcement post so I'm assuming this is being fixed but just making note of it nonetheless. I did notice that NoDQ had his avatar on and the little thing that said he's online was obscured by the avatar.

This one isn't really much of a problem at all but although my signature was brought over the code for aligning it in the center is different on this board so I had to change the code for that. It's not a problem at all just mentioning in case people who had the same issue had also been trying to sort it out.

This has been on and off really but for some reason the text in posts is switching from white to black and back again, the black is rather difficult to read against the brown background, I'm not sure what's causing it but it's quite a strain on the eyes to read when it does happen. For the sake of being able to read this post I've set the font colour myself. :P

Hah, one thing I should mention is that while writing this post I clicked the preview button and was told that the request timed out, when I came back to the editor my post had disappeared, so I've typed this twice. That one's a little more annoying than the others.

Few smaller observations,

I like the chat, it's kinda small, even on the dedicated page I think it could do with being a little bigger, I'm not entirely sold on the brown colour scheme, especially when you get lower down in the page and it fades to more of a beige colour. The recent topics header is a bit too close to the parts saying "view unanswered topics" and whatnot above. If we're having those designs and especially the forum navigation to either side of the forum itself it might be pretty cool if the bottles and the navigation etc. were a constant on the page and they stayed in the same position when you scroll down.

A lot of these are probably going to come across as small and nit picky but when the rest of the design is as good as it is the eye is really drawn to the insignificant stuff that weighs it down a little.

Last edited by SlightlyJames on Nov 30, '13, 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 275

Re: Few things I've noticed

Postby Westcoastvibes » Nov 30, '13, 10:13 pm

I put this on the other board but here would be better I think...
First, awesome job. It exceeded my expectations
I can not upload or use any type of generic avatar - no matter what it tells me that my file is 0px by 0px wide and must be a min of 10x10

I think the view active topics at top of page blends in to well with the background and could be made larger or something to make it a bit more noticeable

And last for now - How the fuck does all this reputation shit work and maybe some sorta legend as to what the beer bottles mean? I think full me new post and empty means I have read it already but god damn its so awesomely better and different from anything we are all use to I am fucking lost on here for now. Haha

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 98

Postby SlightlyJames » Nov 30, '13, 10:31 pm

Wow thread jack. Nah, I guess it's better keeping this all in the same place anyway :P

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby KaiserGlider » Nov 30, '13, 10:35 pm

It's weird having the avatars on the right side of the page. Was that intentional? I'd prefer to have them on the left, but that's just me.

Not a fan of the brown background either. The text seems smaller and harder to read than on the old forum. The top with the deer and beer bottles is really cool though! Although the deer looks kinda creepy if you stare at it for a while... it has that dead stare going on. I'll be seeing you in my nightmares tonight won't I?

Anyway, those are my first impressions with the new forum. Sorry to hear about the problems that have occurred with setting this place up, hopefully it all gets resolved soon and we can get this place rocking and rolling.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Westcoastvibes » Nov 30, '13, 11:26 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:Wow thread jack. Nah, I guess it's better keeping this all in the same place anyway :P

Haha, sorry. Didn't want to make another thread then have everyone making threads about same things

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Everlong » Nov 30, '13, 11:26 pm

Hey guys,

I won't be able to do much about any of these issues til later tonight or tomorrow, but I just wanna say thanks for your patience as we continue to get this stuff figured out. It has been an extremely difficult and time consuming process for a variety of reasons so just know that we are doing everything we can to continue to smooth things out, but it will take a bit for us to get all the way there.

Tonight I will make a full post explaining the new features and icons, and tomorrow I will be able to go into more details on other issues. Feel free to continue to report bigs, but understand that this is also still very much a work in progress that we have spent MANY hours on already. So its not going tone immediately perfect.

Thanks!!!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Everlong » Dec 01, '13, 1:13 am

SlightlyJames wrote:[color=#FFFFFF]

I didn't have an avatar on the old board, but I noticed on the new one I have an ugly broken image underneath my name, I tried deleting the image in case it had put something there by mistake but it's just there no matter what, I think broken images were mentioned in the announcement post so I'm assuming this is being fixed but just making note of it nonetheless. I did notice that NoDQ had his avatar on and the little thing that said he's online was obscured by the avatar.

The ugly broken image is your rank image. I have not yet added rank images to this forum, and those apparently didn't get brought over in the switch. I'm going to upload all of those tomorrow, so this shouldn't be an issue for long. This goes for any other missing image indicators. Either you need to add the image yourself (sig/avatar) or you can assume that I'm working on a fix. That stuff is easy.

This has been on and off really but for some reason the text in posts is switching from white to black and back again, the black is rather difficult to read against the brown background, I'm not sure what's causing it but it's quite a strain on the eyes to read when it does happen. For the sake of being able to read this post I've set the font colour myself.

Not sure what would be causing this... the default text should be white. Locke might be able to answer this better than me, but I haven't seen anything with black text so far.

Your critiques that you say are smaller and more nitpicky are things that'll probably have to wait. I personally really like this color scheme and I know Locke does as well, so don't expect a change any time soon. That goes for Kaiser with the brown background as well. But the chat stuff and the gradient at the bottom are easy changes if need be, they're just not going to be at the top of our priority list for a bit. Thanks for the feedback though!

WestCoastVibes: I'll try to make a post explaining the rep system tomorrow, but feel free to figure it out on the fly. You're not hurting anything by just suddenly giving people rep points.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 01, '13, 1:34 am

^ Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting everything to change immediately or that my personal preference applies to everyone or anything like that, just laying stuff out there.

For the avatar thing, there were two broken images at first, one was my nonexistant avatar but it seems to have disappeared now.

Also it appears that when you quote someone the background and the text are the same colour so you need to highlight it to read. :P

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Romo » Dec 01, '13, 3:40 am

Ohhh I like this...

- it's only very very minor and is really really picky but is there anyway you could get the link in the side bar for when we click 'live chat' it opens in a new window ( I know I can do it myself by right clicking but i'm really really lazy)

- I noticed this on my post and again it's nothing major but thought I'd point it out anyway, seems like a nifty little thing to have if you can get it to go over the avatars

anyway places looks nice, should look even better when its finished

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Everlong » Dec 01, '13, 9:27 am

Yeah the quote thing is something we can definitely fix - that should take Locke just a couple seconds honestly. As for the user online buttons, what we'll probably wind up doing is just putting in new buttons altogether that don't interfere with the feature.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Everlong » Dec 01, '13, 10:53 am

I think I figured out that black posts thing. It seems that if you click to go directly to a given post, or are taken directly to your post after posting, the words show up in black to highlight it. Otherwise, they always show up in white. If I can figure out how to turn off that "highlight" setting, I'll do that.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Locke » Dec 01, '13, 3:55 pm

Everlong wrote:I think I figured out that black posts thing. It seems that if you click to go directly to a given post, or are taken directly to your post after posting, the words show up in black to highlight it. Otherwise, they always show up in white. If I can figure out how to turn off that "highlight" setting, I'll do that.

One step ahead of ya.

Thanks for the suggestions and criticisms. They're always needed, especially as a forum has millions of pages and Tim and I only have two sets of eyes. ;)

The wood grain thing will never, ever happen, ever, unless someone designs a really nice, classy, subtle way to texture it. Anytime I see those corny/cheesy wood grain images, I think of hosted websites like GeoCities, AngelFire, TriPod.. you know, the 1999 of the internet. Just can't do it.

I admit I'm not a MILLION percent fond of brown but hey, pubs/bars are usually brown. Or black. I don't like all black forums so I won't make one that way. 8) Chocolates, caramels, and butterscotches are warm, dark, and easy on the eyes. There are just some incorrectly placed colors from the CSS because there's a million of them and it takes time to sort them all out.

Hope that explains things a bit, and hope people will post there questions/reports/concerns on color related issues in the color thread I just made. It'll make it easier to catch. Thanks again!

I'm going to go get drunk now and fight off this 3 day 103 fever.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Return to Forum Info and Discussion