It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 4:12 am

State of the Site: Your thoughts wanted

This is the forum where admin/moderator announcements and any discussion about the forums should take place.

State of the Site: Your thoughts wanted

Postby Everlong » Jul 11, '15, 7:34 am

Hey guys,

So we're experiencing the usual mid-summer lull right now, which made me think it's probably a good time to talk about the state of the site, what you guys would like to see moving forward and how we can make this a place you guys want to keep coming back to.

What would you say are the strengths/weaknesses? How can we go about getting more people to sign up (definitely still our biggest area of weakness and one we really haven't yet found an answer for)? What would you like to see happen on this place? What kinds of things do you think would encourage more topic making/posting?

I'll be out all day so won't really be able to read your thoughts until this evening, but it'd be good to get some discussion/ideas going.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: State of the Site: Your thoughts wanted

Postby Circled Square » Jul 11, '15, 7:37 am

Everything's pretty chill, sure people get butthurt but it usually never lasts. The tournament thing is still cool even though my interest has waned a bit. Hopefully Summerslam will have a good build up so we'll generate more WWE discussion.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby prophet » Jul 11, '15, 9:39 am

I think the site is naturally quiet given the time of year. There's no EPL, no NFL and the WWE is still in it's usual post-Mania lull. I fully expect things to pick up again in about a month or two and I think we need to go hard on the social media promotion because that's something we've tended to forget about when we really shouldn't.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 11, '15, 11:02 am

As said, there's always a quiet period with the lack of competitive sports action but social media would be one thing that needs consistent work (Porky/Prophet were doing a good job while back) and we had some really good pieces on the front page that could do with wider distribution to wrestling Twitter pages etc..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Everlong » Jul 11, '15, 1:00 pm

Yeah, getting back into the blogging stuff is one thing I definitely want to focus on more. Taking posts from here, or having people from here write stuff to go on the front page. Course I've been havnig a hard enough time keeping up to date with Novacritic stuff lately :lol

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby Circled Square » Jul 11, '15, 1:20 pm

Everlong wrote:Yeah, getting back into the blogging stuff is one thing I definitely want to focus on more. Taking posts from here, or having people from here write stuff to go on the front page. Course I've been havnig a hard enough time keeping up to date with Novacritic stuff lately :lol

VaderBomb, Matteo, Hanley, I could see those three being good at writing articles. James would be good, too. Or Messiah. There's a lot of people here capable of making detailed articles.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby PorkChop » Jul 16, '15, 10:51 am

We have too many people here who don't make topics. This has always been a problem, even during WWE-Club. I love you guys, but there are too many of you who don't give anything to the site. I see people keep going on about how great the community here is, but this community won't exist anymore if the same handful of people have to make topics just so we can stay afloat. If you love this place so much and want to continue coming here, then give something back.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Daz » Jul 16, '15, 11:19 am

PorkChop wrote:We have too many people here who don't make topics. This has always been a problem, even during WWE-Club. I love you guys, but there are too many of you who don't give anything to the site. I see people keep going on about how great the community here is, but this community won't exist anymore if the same handful of people have to make topics just so we can stay afloat. If you love this place so much and want to continue coming here, then give something back.

I'm very guilty of this. But I'm pretty good at inciting arguments ibn topics other people start, so I have that going for me.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Circled Square » Jul 16, '15, 11:23 am

PorkChop wrote:We have too many people here who don't make topics. This has always been a problem, even during WWE-Club. I love you guys, but there are too many of you who don't give anything to the site. I see people keep going on about how great the community here is, but this community won't exist anymore if the same handful of people have to make topics just so we can stay afloat. If you love this place so much and want to continue coming here, then give something back.

I've made quite a few topics here.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby PorkChop » Jul 16, '15, 11:27 am

Circled Square wrote:

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby War Daddy » Jul 16, '15, 11:31 am

PorkChop wrote:
Circled Square wrote:

Honestly, I'd make more if mine got replied to more often. Lot of times I feel like the topics I make just aren't enticing enough for you or just plain boring.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Circled Square » Jul 16, '15, 11:44 am

PorkChop wrote:
Circled Square wrote:

Sorry...

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 16, '15, 11:53 am

War Daddy wrote:Honestly, I'd make more if mine got replied to more often. Lot of times I feel like the topics I make just aren't enticing enough for you or just plain boring.

I'm pretty much in the same boat here. I post the occasional topic if I'm fairly certain folk will actually reply to it and even then I'm not always right. It's a downer to try and create discussion and just have it be completely blanked.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby The Legend » Jul 16, '15, 1:28 pm

I'll copy what others have said and say that it's hard for some people to put a topic out there that they want to discuss only for it to go ignored. I also disagree that making topics is the only way a person can "give anything to the site". Keeping up discussion and talking about things other people post is also a way to contribute and give something to the site. To suggest otherwise is pretty arrogant and self-righteous.

As for things I'd like to see, honestly I'd like to see the WWE discussion change focus. I say this acknowledging the reality that it likely will never happen, especially since so few people on here still watch WWE, but I'd like to see the discussion become far more story based and far less backstage based. We need more excited fans and marks here to help drive the WWE discussion to a more open minded and fun place to go. This became a problem for WWE-Club at some point and continued here. At some point, we as a community became too "smart" and too critical for our own good.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby PorkChop » Jul 16, '15, 3:17 pm

The Legend wrote: I'd like to see the discussion become far more story based and far less backstage based.

If you'd like to see this, then make some topics which would bring about that change. That's the only way it'll happen. You can't wait and hope that other people will do it naturally.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Jul 16, '15, 4:05 pm

PorkChop wrote:
The Legend wrote: I'd like to see the discussion become far more story based and far less backstage based.

If you'd like to see this, then make some topics which would bring about that change. That's the only way it'll happen. You can't wait and hope that other people will do it naturally.

I have and those topics get ignored or hijacked.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 16, '15, 4:46 pm

That's the vicious circle. People don't make threads, which leads to less overall commenting. And yet people don't make threads because they don't get responses and they feel like it's pointless. So one just leads into the other.

I think the people on here need to make an overall effort, at the very least, to post more in already made threads. Hopefully that will liven things up and make people more comfortable making threads of their own.

I wish we could find a way to bring back people who were active here at the beginning, but have fallen off. There's a lot of members here, and yet only a handful actually visit and post regularly.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Circled Square » Jul 16, '15, 5:39 pm

Shit will pick up I'm sure of it. The product will have a spike soon IMO.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby lyonssv » Jul 16, '15, 6:22 pm

I'm kind of new here (lurked for a long time, but really just now started posting), so I do not know how much my opinion will count lol

I think one thing that would enhance this site would be an active daily blog. I know the focus is on wrestling, but I think encompassing all sports would be helpful. You could have writers for wrestling, NFL, College Football, Fantasy Sports, etc. I know that is a tough gig to pull off, but I think it would possible boost the activity of the site over time cause right now, there's just not a lot going on.

Having said that, there are a lot of cool guys here and though I feel like an outsider at times due to being new here, I do enjoy the variety conversations on this site.

lyonssv Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 13

Postby Tom » Jul 23, '15, 3:11 pm

I know I don't post on here as often as I should. I think the reason for this is down to not being as interested in WWE in general anymore. And in my opinion, that may be one of the problems with the site; the people we have here (including myself) are for the most part not interested in talking about wrestling like they used to. We don't have an active "wrestling community". So maybe the focus should either be on changing the focus of the website, or trying to build a wrestling community.

One of the things I think about the site is that, although it markets itself as being a "wrestling forum", I think new visitors wouldn't get the feeling that this is a "wrestling forum". The "recent topics" section at the top of the page, for example, is constantly flooded by non wrestling posts. And while that is fine and dandy for people who have been here for a while and have a general knowledge of the members of this site, I don't think it would make a new visitor more keen to sign up. I know the reason I signed up to WWE-Club for example was because it had a wrestling feel to it. I just don't think this one does, partly down to the format of the site and mostly down to people not having as much interest in the product as they once did.

It would be interesting to see what people are typing in on google (or other search engines) to find us. Because that way we would get a better idea as to why people are visiting the forum (especially first time visitors) and get an idea as to how they view us before they even visit us!

Tom None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 23

Next

Return to Forum Info and Discussion