It is currently: Apr 26, '24, 11:47 pm

New emojis?

This is the forum where admin/moderator announcements and any discussion about the forums should take place.

New emojis?

Postby SortaCreative » Feb 13, '15, 8:51 pm

It struck me earlier that our emoticons are a little random. I just think it might serve to clean up the presentation of the forum to have some uniform emoticons rather than ones with differing dimensions.

Plus some of them don't really represent what I'm wanting them to. Take :D for example. I'm looking to do a really happy wide grin but :D looks sly and cheeky. It feels more like a :P. Look at the difference between the two. It's jarring. We must do better.

These are much better quality for example: http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content ... 69x620.jpg

Keep some of our beloved emoticons, don't get rid of :tim for example. Or any of our custom heads and stuff. But the rest I think could do with a revamp and from my really outdated knowledge about PHP, I don't think that's a massive task?

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: New emojis?

Postby Locke » Feb 13, '15, 8:58 pm

I agree and always did this for my forum, but people in general prefer variety to uniformity. People with keen/picky eyes or web-designers prefer the uniformity, the rest of the uneducated plebs.. I mean.. wonderful users.. prefer funny shit and variety. :P

Also plz.. no emoji. I hate that term.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 137

Postby SortaCreative » Feb 13, '15, 9:02 pm

Locke wrote:I agree and always did this for my forum, but people in general prefer variety to uniformity. People with keen/picky eyes or web-designers prefer the uniformity, the rest of the uneducated plebs.. I mean.. wonderful users.. prefer funny shit and variety. :P

Also plz.. no emoji. I hate that term.

But what else would I call an emoji but an emoji. Emoji is just the correct term. It's also fun to say emoji. Emoji emoji emoji.

:lol

Also, I guess. I'd prefer the cleaner look. It just looks messy if i'm posting a message with several different emojis. :D It's kinda frustrating to see all the different colours and styles. :banghead I'm not going to bring this up again though. :deadhorse I feel like abit of a jerk doing it :jerk :lol

Good job on the revamp tho. :clap :headbang :tim

:facepalm

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Feb 13, '15, 9:05 pm

I think what I can do is reach a compromise -- have some of the more common smilies be uniform, but have plenty of random ones as well.

I'll add looking for emoticon packs to my list.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby SortaCreative » Feb 13, '15, 9:08 pm

Everlong wrote:I think what I can do is reach a compromise -- have some of the more common smilies be uniform, but have plenty of random ones as well.

Yeah I think having things like ": )" and ": (" and all those general in text emoticons people use be somewhat uniform and neater. By all means have all the others, I don't hate him. I just think when used in the body of the text during normal conversation it just sort of breaks things up. It's great having the utter random ones in the smiley (emoji) tab.

:asslicker

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Feb 13, '15, 9:10 pm

^You can thank @KaiserGlider for that one :lol

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Feb 13, '15, 9:16 pm

I tried posting emojis I have on my macbook onto the board but I get this message.

On other forums and on reddit, you can usually post emojis. (the emojis that are on Android and Apple computers/phones)

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby Everlong » Feb 13, '15, 9:16 pm

^I might be able to find a plugin that would allow for android/apple emojis, I'll look into that but it's farther downt he priority list.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Locke » Feb 13, '15, 9:37 pm

Everlong wrote:I think what I can do is reach a compromise -- have some of the more common smilies be uniform, but have plenty of random ones as well.

We have a lot of uniform ones already, I think the idea is they need to be ordered/numbered properly so that on the different areas of the forum they are displayed for posting (like to the right of a reply box where you click to make one in your message) need to be uniform. The randoms can just be not displayed on that part of the forum, but for any who click "more smilies" or know the code, no big deal.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby KaiserGlider » Feb 13, '15, 11:27 pm

Everlong wrote:^You can thank @KaiserGlider for that one :lol

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Return to Forum Info and Discussion