It is currently: Apr 26, '24, 11:57 pm

Why so slow?

This is the forum where admin/moderator announcements and any discussion about the forums should take place.

Why so slow?

Postby Westcoastvibes » Dec 13, '14, 1:11 pm

For the past couple weeks I have noticed that the site has been slow, sometimes unresponsive all together. It seems like the site is down for hours at a time and I am constantly having to log back in every time even though I have the little box checked that should keep me logged in.

What's the dealio? I thought we upgraded to avoid this?

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 98

Re: Why so slow?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 13, '14, 1:16 pm

Glad it's not only just me. Been happening since yesterday and today having issues.

Hope Tim's not spent that money he got from us on BEERS! :P

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Dec 13, '14, 2:27 pm

Yeah, it's never been as bad as this before. I've been having spells of downtime for about half an hour each, minimum.

There's not a lot we can do though. Tim has investigated it before and has taken steps to resolve it and it's still happening. We just have to be patient until GoDaddy stops being so shit.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby The Legend » Dec 13, '14, 2:31 pm

I've found that it's more responsive to go to a specific page on the site besides the homepage. Not ideal, but that helps me most of the time.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Westcoastvibes » Dec 13, '14, 3:36 pm

The Legend wrote:I've found that it's more responsive to go to a specific page on the site besides the homepage. Not ideal, but that helps me most of the time.

I have my bookmark set to open on active topics page and I still get lagged or nothing at all. For a while I thought it was my device so I went from phone to tablet to laptop and all the same. It's like the server is not responding

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 13, '14, 3:39 pm

Mine has been working quicker last hour or so, as it normally would.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 13, '14, 3:57 pm

^Literally after typing above message, it died on me briefly but back again.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Twister » Dec 13, '14, 5:50 pm

Yeah I've noticed the site's been really slow and unresponsive lately, hope it all gets sorted soon!

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Everlong » Dec 14, '14, 11:26 am

I honestly have no idea what the issue is. I've talked to people at GoDaddy and they've suggested some things which usually help temporarily, but not in the long term.

I think the issue is that we just get too much traffic for any of their three standard hosting plans. I went up to the next level, but for the amount of daily clicks that we get on this site we'd probably need a dedicated server, which would run upwards of a hundred a month at least. I'm not going to pay that kind of money.

I'll continue to see if there are things I can do to speed things up. Might see if disabling the blog and gallery features would do anything to help.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Westcoastvibes » Dec 14, '14, 3:10 pm

Everlong wrote:I honestly have no idea what the issue is. I've talked to people at GoDaddy and they've suggested some things which usually help temporarily, but not in the long term.

I think the issue is that we just get too much traffic for any of their three standard hosting plans. I went up to the next level, but for the amount of daily clicks that we get on this site we'd probably need a dedicated server, which would run upwards of a hundred a month at least. I'm not going to pay that kind of money.

I'll continue to see if there are things I can do to speed things up. Might see if disabling the blog and gallery features would do anything to help.

That's stuff with little or no usage right? I can see how that would help if we are dumping unused features. Another question, I know people's sigs are linked to outside sources like photo bucket but does having these large and/or animated sigs put stress on the server also?

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Dec 14, '14, 4:44 pm

^^ I'd love an excuse to get rid of animated sigs and avatars. They're a bit irritating. A one sig limit per person would be good too. Not sure how helpful it'd be for this problem, but I'd definitely appreciate it. :P

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Dec 14, '14, 4:57 pm

Hanley! wrote:^^ I'd love an excuse to get rid of animated sigs and avatars. They're a bit irritating. A one sig limit per person would be good too. Not sure how helpful it'd be for this problem, but I'd definitely appreciate it. :P

I'm pretty sure the site was running just fine until chickens and Chuck Norris started appearing in sigs.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 14, '14, 5:01 pm

The Legend wrote:
Hanley! wrote:^^ I'd love an excuse to get rid of animated sigs and avatars. They're a bit irritating. A one sig limit per person would be good too. Not sure how helpful it'd be for this problem, but I'd definitely appreciate it. :P

I'm pretty sure the site was running just fine until chickens and Chuck Norris started appearing in sigs.

It really wasn't :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby UTK » Dec 14, '14, 5:16 pm

Hey. Watch it.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Forum Info and Discussion