It is currently: May 22, '24, 12:18 am

Future features to come. Suggestions welcomed!

This is the forum where admin/moderator announcements and any discussion about the forums should take place.

Future features to come. Suggestions welcomed!

Postby Locke » Oct 12, '13, 9:43 pm

I made this list in the staff section, figured I'd share it with you guys. These plans aren't a cert by any means but my goal is to get them in when we go full version board.

----------

Who's Online Today - lists users who've visited that day (24hr period) under the "Who's Online Now" box on the main page.

A Portal Page - this is a main "index/front page" for a forum. They generally list important admin/mod announcements, top active topics, top topics of all time, most recent vote/poll post, upcoming events, easy access register link/options, can house custom things like birthdays, member of the month, staff list, and anything we deem front page. If we were "www.theclub.com," this would be the main/first page.

Recognition Icons - WWE-Club had these, like donors, graphics club, wrestling sim club, NFL picks club, etc. I'd like to spin this in with member of the month and non-global moderator recognition as well because it is confusing to new users to have so many different colored names. Colored names should be reserved for staff only to make it easy for newbies to contact the right people for questions, suggestions, concerns, and bug reports. This is why I feel icons can represent the majority of these things as opposed to varied name colors for non-admin/global mods.

Respect/Gold/Point System - a currency based system to allow users to share points with each other for good posts and friendship.

Respect/Gold/Point Store - a store where people can spend points they earn from others on profile tweaks. Examples of purchases include custom titles, rank images, username change, special recognition icons, perks like sticky threads (time-based: week, month, year), other things we can think of.

Custom Title - to be used with store. Instead of being "noob" or other titles via default rank system, they can name their own title. IE; JC-Phenom #1 Undertaker Mark (lol). Titles are displayed under username or avatar.

Member of the Month - a system dedicated to this so that it's not controlled by the forum Usergroup function. Something that grants recognition and perhaps perks (example: temporary access to a private forum, special icon, Hall of Fame listing, etc.).

Battle System - this one can be hard and not always necessary, however I've done them before and they promote post activity. Your account gets a character that levels with posts, items can be bought (via point system) to buff character (armor, weapons, trinkets, rings, amulets). It would be integrated with point/respect system and store. Items can be thematic - by default it's Final Fantasy related, but we could customize to boxing gloves, pro-wrestling weapons, MMA moves, etc. (depends on what topic/theme we go for). Stats generally listed under avatar or integrated with post display in some manner. Users can battle NPC's or each other for experience points to level up.

Arcade - system people can gamble points to earn more points, high score display, possibly multiplayer functions if they exist.

Fantasy League Integration - not sure this exists but I can't see why not. Sport fantasy league integration could skyrocket activity. This could be used in replacement of or addition to the Battle System.

Improved Admin/Moderator Tools - things to make life easier for us.

Forum Statistics - graphs to understand user activity: where they come from, where they go, what they do, how they surf & browser/OS they do it with, etc.

Donation Portal/Advertisement Banners - we may need money for running the server. No profit should go to us.

Ultimate IRC ShoutBox - A shoutbox much in the same vein as WWE-Club's old box, but one that could be integrated into IRC so that people would be able to use it on the site or via IRC client as they please. One that would have a WYSIWYG funtion for forum codes and smilies, and would be live without 15 second refresh applet but would also leave the data posted/archived on the site so you could drop a line and check back later.

Kudos/Karma/Likes - a system linked to points system that allos a general thumbs up or down for a post - may come stock/default with point system without work on my part, but listing here as reminder.

Post Tags - option to notify a user via PM/board email when a user posts and "tags" the user (or quotes their posts). Not an itchy nuisance stuck to sweater collar.

Genders - to identify who to hit on and who not to.

Spoiler Protection - system to conceal spoilers for unwilling eyes.

Already Posted Here Notification - visual way of seeing whether you've replied to a thread already or not.

Mobile Version - sigh, I'll try!

More to come as I think of them and/or as they are suggested.

Last edited by Locke on Oct 18, '13, 4:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 137

Re: Future features to come. Suggestions welcomed!

Postby JDD » Oct 12, '13, 10:26 pm

Alot of this stuff sounds super awesome. A respect points system is something ive always wanted, plus a store intergrated with that sounds real neat. Some great ideas that i cant wait to see be put into effect.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 78

Postby Locke » Oct 12, '13, 11:01 pm

I can't make many promises in life due to lack of confidence in general, but I fucking guarantee everyone here that the board code I program will make old WWE-Club whimper in defeat. :tim I ain't even worried about overhype, I've done this stuff far too long and now I -crave- doing it.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Kyle » Oct 12, '13, 11:44 pm

You're awesome man.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby Locke » Oct 13, '13, 12:04 am

All for you guys + personal disgust on how the old admin just tossed a decade and a half old community into a toilet for no reason. I will make sure people don't remember him. I will erase him. :lol

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Camstud » Oct 13, '13, 5:57 am

Sounds great.

Here's one thing though: The ability to tag a user in a post. I don't even know if it's possible, but sometimes I'll put a post that I want one person to see for whatever reason, but I know chances are they won't get around to seeing it. Having the ability to tag someone would be so good.

prophet wrote:
HFX wrote:
Viazon wrote:Fuck Nandos. Go to the meat counter in Tescos. You can get a whole chicken for not that much. Ready cooked. Me and my friends used to get them all the time then just eat them in the car.

Man I always think you can't get more weird and then you say something else :lol

The image of Viazon and his equally odd mates all sat outside the supermarket eating chicken together in the car is too much :lol
Camstud None specified
B+ Player
B+ Player

Topics: 36

Postby ShaneOfan » Oct 13, '13, 5:59 am

Camstud wrote:Sounds great.

Here's one thing though: The ability to tag a user in a post. I don't even know if it's possible, but sometimes I'll put a post that I want one person to see for whatever reason, but I know chances are they won't get around to seeing it. Having the ability to tag someone would be so good.

yeah tagging would be awesome.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2137650

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Camstud » Oct 13, '13, 6:06 am

^Sweet.

PRETTY PLEASE LOCKE?

prophet wrote:
HFX wrote:
Viazon wrote:Fuck Nandos. Go to the meat counter in Tescos. You can get a whole chicken for not that much. Ready cooked. Me and my friends used to get them all the time then just eat them in the car.

Man I always think you can't get more weird and then you say something else :lol

The image of Viazon and his equally odd mates all sat outside the supermarket eating chicken together in the car is too much :lol
Camstud None specified
B+ Player
B+ Player

Topics: 36

Postby Twister » Oct 13, '13, 7:24 am

Love these ideas!

This probably comes under the respect system but can we have a feature where we can 'like' (or thank, thumbs up etc) peoples posts. Sometimes i'll be reading a post and i'll find myself agreeing with people and feeling like i'd just be repeating what has already been said, or just quoting them to say I agree with them etc. If I could just 'like' their post then it would save the spam yet still make me feel like I was taking part. If that makes sense.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Hanley! » Oct 13, '13, 7:54 am

^^ Maybe it would be possible to tie that in to the respect/karma system? Instead of being able to up vote members, would it be possible to make it so that you can only up vote or down vote people's posts, but that this changes a figure under the person's name?

I think it'd make things feel a little more interactive, without just feeling like a popularity contest.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby UTK » Oct 13, '13, 8:24 am

I've seen a "liking" system or a "kudos" system on certain sites. i'm not sure if php supports that, but I'd like that over a karma/rep system.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ShaneOfan » Oct 13, '13, 8:47 am

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... for_posts/ apparently you can mod it so we as users can use it as well not just mods

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Twister » Oct 13, '13, 10:26 am

Yeah exactly Hanley, that way people get rewarded for making good/useful/funny posts etc, it gives people motivation to make insightful posts. I've seen this feature on a few forums, it would be great if it could be implemented on this one too.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Locke » Oct 13, '13, 12:10 pm

List amended 8)

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Oct 13, '13, 12:41 pm

All these features look cool. Can't wait to see some of them implemented.

Just one question. Is the web address for the club gonna stay the same, or will it change at some point. It's just, having that "prophpbb" in it looks a bit of a mess. It would be cool it it was just something like, www.theclub.com.

I know nothing about creating websites so I have no idea how it works, changing to URL or whatever. It was just something I felt like querying.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Locke » Oct 13, '13, 1:11 pm

We'd be dead lucky to get "theclub.com/net/org" but we'll definitely have a good URL when we nail down our theme. We are most likely to inject this current database to the new forum so logically this place stays up until the new forum is constructed. It should feel seamless when we're ready to transfer so hopefully accounts/passwords and postcounts won't change. One day this place will just transfer to the new dot com/whatever and that will be that. 8)

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby GameDesigner14 » Oct 13, '13, 1:29 pm

Would like to see a gender tag so that we wouldn't feel awkward addressing a woman as a man....or vise versa. :nodding

GameDesigner14 Female
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 28

Postby Locke » Oct 13, '13, 1:49 pm

GameDesigner14 wrote:Would like to see a gender tag so that we wouldn't feel awkward addressing a woman as a man....or vise versa. :nodding

Not a problem, and can likely be done without mods but I'll add it anyway to remind myself. We're currently a sausage fest though. :lol

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Twister » Oct 13, '13, 4:08 pm

*ahem* errr, not quite Locke :lol

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby HFX » Oct 13, '13, 8:22 pm

Twister wrote:*ahem* errr, not quite Locke :lol

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Next

Return to Forum Info and Discussion