It is currently: May 01, '24, 6:07 am

Is there anyway we could not put RAW spoilers in topic titles?

This is the forum where admin/moderator announcements and any discussion about the forums should take place.

Re: Is there anyway we could not put RAW spoilers in topic titles?

Postby Locke » Jan 14, '14, 8:48 pm

Settee321 wrote:
Westcoastvibes wrote:By no means should anyone consider this an attack or with any anger behind it. I am gonna hold my ground on this because I feel confident that nothing should be done about this.

That being said, now we went from topics containing spoilers to topics that sound "spoilerish". Give me a fucking break.

Call me crazy but I look at a spoiler as information that will spoil the show BEFORE IT IS AIRED not after it has been showed nationwide. Just because someone was intelligent enough to associate a thread about Daniel Bryan being over as her turned back face does not mean anything was spoiled or even spoilerish. All I can suggest is that if you come on here on Monday night or Tuesday and see new threads posted in the wwe section - don't click on it.

Now please don't take this wrong, but unless an official rule is stated I am not going to make any topic titles generic or bland and I encourage everyone else not to either. I agree that if its a spoiler for a SD taping or something from a PPV then it should be vague but something like raw or a sports game then it should be free of transparency. If you didn't watch it when it aired then that's your problem and not mine.

Once again I am sorry for being so aggressive with this but trying to institute rules or guidelines to please a few leads to more rules and more rules, then people start getting banned for no reason, we start seeing my little pony everywhere and some guy starts RANDOMLY capitalizing words and putting............dots.............for no reason. And that is not what we are going for, at least I assumed it was not.

Exactly this.

Agreed

I personally saw the topic "Daniel Bryan is most over" and it was before I even saw the RAW (I DVR as well). I had no idea he turned on Wyatt. I just figured people were still chanting the fuck out of him is all.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 137

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jan 14, '14, 9:03 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:I don't really care about the Bryan topic, that spoiled nothing. At the same time, Raw is on at an absurdly late time for us in the UK and if we have anything resembling a life we can't always watch it live. It'd be nice not having to stay away from what is at this point a general discussion forum without being spoiled on the previous night's Raw if I haven't quite seen it yet. I'm talking real spoilers here, not the Bryan one, mind.

I fully understand the points you are making and it is a fucked situation the UK guys have with time. One thing I am having a hard time with is people using the argument that this is a general discussion forum and not a dedicated sports or wrestling forum.
Maybe 2 years from now this point may be valid but at the current state this forum is at it has no validity. We all migrated from a wrestling forum that had a lot of activity outside of wrestling, like it or not this forum is still heavily focused on wrestling even though the concept and goal of this forum is to be all around in discussions and not generalized on any one particular subject.
We all know by opening the forum on your browser that there is gonna be a topic or two that is wrestling related and a majority of those are gonna be focused on show results. Until we have enough members to generate more discussions you are gonna have to assume we topics are gonna be a big part of what you see.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 98

Postby SlightlyJames » Jan 14, '14, 9:15 pm

Bumping spoilers off the active topics isn't any kind of solution, people being considerate could solve this issue much more easily. You mentioned rules being instituted to affect this, that shouldn't be necessary. Not being a dick and taking the, in your words "If you didn't watch it when it aired then that's your problem and not mine." approach would solve the vast majority of issues that any of us have.

There's been mention of enthusiasm in topic titles being a factor in whether of not people want to click on them, that's not true from my point of view, if I care about a topic I'm going to read it, regardless of how many exclamation points there are. Spoilers (again, REAL spoilers, not like your Bryan one) sour me on the whole thing.

I can get behind the 24 hour rule that was mentioned, I could also be fine with just being discreet with topic names. A weekly Raw discussion thread could also work, I reckon. There are plenty of solutions that would work for both sides that aren't basically a big fuck you to people who don't manage to catch the show live.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby motionmann » Jan 14, '14, 10:10 pm

Looks like I'll be posting spoiler related topics on every single popular tv show that I watch from now on. Came on live so no need to care about the feelings of people's that dvr shows.

motionmann None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 9

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jan 14, '14, 10:41 pm

motionmann wrote:Looks like I'll be posting spoiler related topics on every single popular tv show that I watch from now on. Came on live so no need to care about the feelings of people's that dvr shows.

No sweat off my balls. :lol

Its a simple concept, if you DVR your shows stay away from sources that might spoil it for you.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Jan 15, '14, 12:01 am

Holy shit, this is getting more heated than I expected :lol This really is a pretty simple issue guys.

I didn't see anything wrong with the Daniel Bryan topic title, I think someone only vaguely referenced that topic in this thread anyway so its position in this debate is getting put a little bit out of perspective.

I'm not going to put any rule place that says you MUST post spoiler-free topics or anything like that because generally I think think the fewer written rules the better, but I think it's only the respectful thing to do anyway. Like HFX said, this isn't a wrestling-only site. People come here for other discussions as well, and there's a chance that they could get spoiled in the recent topics section. I'd say just be considerate of what you decide to put in your topic titles. It takes literally no effort to do this, and you can still create a topic title that draws interest without explicitly stating the spoiler in the title. Everybody wins.

WestCoastVibes wrote:Once again I am sorry for being so aggressive with this but trying to institute rules or guidelines to please a few leads to more rules and more rules, then people start getting banned for no reason, we start seeing my little pony everywhere and some guy starts RANDOMLY capitalizing words and putting............dots.............for no reason. And that is not what we are going for, at least I assumed it was not.

This is ridiculous. I'm certainly not going to start editing topic titles, and I'm DEFINITELY not going to start banning people for no reason, so I'm not entirely sure why you're making that progression in your posts. I've locked exactly one topic in three months on these forums so far and it was for someone pretending to be JC. That's not the moderation style of this place and it never will be. I'm going to encourage the consideration on the part of people who post in the WWE section to not post direct spoilers within topic titles, but I'm not going to step in and edit anything. I'll leave the moderation of that sort of stuff up to prophet, but my guess is he's going to take a pretty hands-off approach as well.

WestCoastVibes wrote:Now please don't take this wrong, but unless an official rule is stated I am not going to make any topic titles generic or bland and I encourage everyone else not to either.

I don't know where this equivalency is coming from that spoiler free automatically is the same as bland, but it's not. Like the title "NEW CHAMPION ON RAW!" is definitely full of excitement, and certainly helps to avoid the spoilers that "DANIEL BRYAN BEATS CENA FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP!" would cause.

Also, comparing the WWE to a sports program or posting a broken leg of a famous athlete is another false equivalency. For one, people discussing sports on this site are usually only watching one game, while there are multiple games on at once. For another, the WWE bears a much greater resemblance to scripted television shows. How pissed would you be if someone spoiled the latest Game of Thrones episode for you (assuming you watched it)? It's the same sort of thing here.

Creating spoiler free topics doesn't require any additional effort and it certainly shouldn't minimize the excitement within the forums. It's just one small step you can make to ensure that everyone is able to get the maximum amount of enjoyment out of these boards and the show. I don't really understand at all why there'd be such strong opposition to this.

And as I said before, anyone who comes on these boards is going to be doing so at their own risk anyway. I completely understand that there's only so much you can do to despoilerize a topic before it becomes completely devoid of content. But I don't think it's too much to ask that people at least make an effort.

Just my $.02. As I said, there's not going to be any enforcement on my part of this, but I'd encourage you to consider the kind of viewing experience that you enjoy having of your favorite television shows, and keep that in mind when you create topics in the immediate aftermath of RAW or a PPV event.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jan 15, '14, 12:08 am

Well,

Um...

But,

Yeah, I think Tim just bitch slapped my ass. :rotf
I respectively bow out of the conversation

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Chewy » Jan 15, '14, 12:58 am

I haven't watched Raw in six weeks so you fuckers have spoiled every one of them for me.

I suppose a compromise could be to stop WWE related threads appearing in the recent thread list, that way if you deliberately go into the WWE forum and you get spoiled, stiff shit.

Not sure how that would affect attracting new people though.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Georgerv » Jan 15, '14, 1:59 am

Everlong wrote:
I don't know where this equivalency is coming from that spoiler free automatically is the same as bland, but it's not. Like the title "NEW CHAMPION ON RAW!" is definitely full of excitement, and certainly helps to avoid the spoilers that "DANIEL BRYAN BEATS CENA FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP!" would cause.

My only small problem with that, and it is small spoilers don't really bother me as I'm in the avoid social media till you've seen it camp, is saying New Champion on Raw wouldn't really help too much either I'd imagine, as the second you started watching Raw and saw there was a title match you'd know the result.

Georgerv Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 42

Postby PorkChop » Jan 15, '14, 4:17 am

I kind of agree and disagree with the "browse at your own risk" approach.

In one way, it's common sense. Sometimes I avoid football results so Match of the Day is a bit more interesting to watch in the evening. So, I obviously don't go on here, BBC Sport, Sky Sports, or any other sports related site as I'll ruin it for myself, and it'll be completely my own doing. I have no right to complain about it.

On the other hand, I think it seems a bit counter productive to have a "browse at your own risk" attitude here, especially at the moment. We're a small forum with 80-odd members, and we want each of those members to keep visiting regularly if we want to survive and progress as a forum. I love this place, I love our community and I don't want people deliberately refraining from coming here.

So I'd agree with calls for spoilers in the titles - it's a smart idea if we want to keep people visiting regularly, and it doesn't harm the WWE section at all. It kind of keeps everyone happy, which we didn't have at WWE-Club.

tl;dr - Putting spoilers in thread titles is a good idea, and fuck WWE-Club.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Jan 15, '14, 7:30 am

An example I'll use is when Brock Lesnar returned on RAW the other week. I'd already found out that he was due to return on the show and so my thread title was 'MASSIVE star set to return on RAW tonight!' because it allowed people to click at their own peril. Any news that could potentially spoil the show before it has happened should be edited accordingly for sure but I don't see anything wrong with the Daniel Bryan thread that actually kicked this discussion off - Bryan has been the most over star in the WWE for the past year and he continued to get cheered like crazy when he joined the Wyatt Family so a thread like 'Daniel Bryan is the most over son of a bitch wwe has ever had' isn't a spoiler at all in my eyes. If the thread was titled 'Daniel Bryan turns face/attacks the Wyatt's' etc.. or something else in that vein then sure it's a spoiler.

It's just common sense. It'd be cracking if when making a thread folks could take other people who may not have seen the show into account. That being said I'm certainly not going to force anyone to alter what they write - it was the kind of over-moderation that killed the old forum. Messiah's 24-hour suggestion is a good idea though.

Georgerv wrote:
Everlong wrote:

My only small problem with that, and it is small spoilers don't really bother me as I'm in the avoid social media till you've seen it camp, is saying New Champion on Raw wouldn't really help too much either I'd imagine, as the second you started watching Raw and saw there was a title match you'd know the result.

There's nothing we can do about that, though. Take the Royal Rumble Championship match for example - if John Cena beats Randy Orton of course we'll likely see a 'NEW WWE CHAMPION!' thread. Barring something special happening that thread basically means 'JOHN CENA BEATS RANDY ORTON' but again that can't be helped and that's the way it was on the old forum so I'm not really sure why this was brought up as an issue. Without sounding like an arse if someone is that desperate not to have the show spoiled for them then the only real solution is to avoid the Internet entirely until you've seen it.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ShaneOfan » Jan 15, '14, 8:19 am

Honestly I am about 100% more likely to watch Smackdown if I know that (insert name here) is returning or winning the title.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Locke » Jan 15, '14, 8:57 am

Georgerv wrote:
Everlong wrote:

ShaneOfan wrote:Honestly I am about 100% more likely to watch Smackdown if I know that (insert name here) is returning or winning the title.

This is the main problem with this whole "spoiler" business. Everyone has a different idea of what makes a spoiler. Some people think saying "New Champion" is still a major spoiler, even if the topic title doesn't say who. Some people think their experience would be better if there were -more- spoilers, otherwise they don't figure shit's worth watching.

And then the biggest problem is a lot of you get all smarmy about it (in both camps).

This topic was discussed to death at WWE-Club and was one of the few things I agreed with there. They didn't moderate or enforce spoiler-tags either for this very reason. Everyone's idea of spoiler is different, some people flip their fucking shit over it, and some people don't. It adds a hell of a lot of workload to moderators to have to pick and comb through threads and moderate titles so 2 or 3 people don't get butthurt.

It's not worth the trouble, folks. Be "considerate" if you can, but the minute someone starts calling people "inconsiderate" it's a problem because you're not being any more tolerant for their views than they are yours.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 15, '14, 8:58 am

ShaneOfan wrote:Honestly I am about 100% more likely to watch Smackdown if I know that (insert name here) is returning or winning the title.

Well you're safe then because we all know that nothing of consequence ever happens on Smackdown :P

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Everlong » Jan 15, '14, 9:36 am

Locke wrote:This is the main problem with this whole "spoiler" business. Everyone has a different idea of what makes a spoiler. Some people think saying "New Champion" is still a major spoiler, even if the topic title doesn't say who. Some people think their experience would be better if there were -more- spoilers, otherwise they don't figure shit's worth watching.

Which is why I'm saying, there IS a point at which thread titles can become completely devoid of content, but at least in that scenario that you're giving they're taking out part of the spoiler. Or like saying "Major star returns on RAW" is way better than "Stone Cold returns on RAW." Anyone who visits this site is going to do so with the expectation that they could very likely have at least part of the show spoiled for them, but we can at least do away with some of the specifics.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Romo » Jan 15, '14, 10:58 am

Is there a simple way to stop it all and stop WWE threads from being shown in the recent topics section and then the only way it gets spoiled is if you go into the WWE thread before watching the show, also adding THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS to the thread bio will warn people also.

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Everlong » Jan 15, '14, 11:02 am

Romo wrote:Is there a simple way to stop it all and stop WWE threads from being shown in the recent topics section and then the only way it gets spoiled is if you go into the WWE thread before watching the show, also adding THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS to the thread bio will warn people also.

We've already discussed this several times in this thread. We're not going to remove any sections from Recent Topics because we saw on WWE-Club how it lead to a dramatic drop in activity in those sections.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Messiah » Jan 15, '14, 12:52 pm

The funny thing is, if you look at all the threads in the WWE section, the only one that could be remotely considered a spoiler is the Daniel Bryan one. :lol

Seems like the discussion is all for naught. 24-hour rule or not, it doesn't seem to be much of a problem as is.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 15, '14, 1:08 pm

This has no particular relevance for me as I don't mind being spoiled as I don't watch WWE anymore.

All this boils down to is consideration and an awareness. Simple. Not complicated at all.

If someone is making a thread before a show has happened, e.g. a major star returning, during a show, or after it then it's just about keeping it simple as Prophet has suggested.

When I saw the DB thread, I didn't have a clue what it was about - just thought it was a general observation.

But I find, you end up getting spoiled anyway sometimes, when you read something in another thread but that's nothing anyone can do about that.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby SKS » Jan 15, '14, 5:50 pm

I shouldn't have brought up the Daniel Bryan topic, but as I said, it wasn't the best example and it wasn't a blatant spoiler.

Everlong wrote:Creating spoiler free topics doesn't require any additional effort and it certainly shouldn't minimize the excitement within the forums. It's just one small step you can make to ensure that everyone is able to get the maximum amount of enjoyment out of these boards and the show. I don't really understand at all why there'd be such strong opposition to this.

And as I said before, anyone who comes on these boards is going to be doing so at their own risk anyway. I completely understand that there's only so much you can do to despoilerize a topic before it becomes completely devoid of content. But I don't think it's too much to ask that people at least make an effort.

Just my $.02. As I said, there's not going to be any enforcement on my part of this, but I'd encourage you to consider the kind of viewing experience that you enjoy having of your favorite television shows, and keep that in mind when you create topics in the immediate aftermath of RAW or a PPV event.

This was exactly what I was trying to put across, but Tim explained it better. I wasn't trying to be a dick and call people out for purposely posting spoilers or anything like that, I was just asking if we as a forum could be considerate of others who don't want to be spoiled. I completely understand that if I browse the forum after Raw or a PPV, I could get spoiled. But I think if we can give an effort to make spoiler free titles than it greatly lowers that risk, and can allow people like me that watch the show later to still contribute to other parts of the forum.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author
Topics: 266

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Info and Discussion