It is currently: May 07, '24, 8:56 pm

Is there anyway we could not put RAW spoilers in topic titles?

This is the forum where admin/moderator announcements and any discussion about the forums should take place.

Is there anyway we could not put RAW spoilers in topic titles?

Postby SKS » Jan 13, '14, 10:39 pm

Sorry if I'm just nagging, but I usually watch Raw on Tuesdays (I DVR it) but I do like to come onto the club and check some things before I catch Raw. Yet sometimes I get Raw spoiled for me even if I don't click on the WWE section because of a topic in the "new posts" box on the top of the page. Whether it be Jake the Snake's Return last week or someone's heel/face turn tonight, I was just wondering if we could not have what happened on the show in the topic title? Again, sorry for being a nag.

Or, could WWE posts not be in the "new posts" box on the front page to save that spoiler for someone that wants to read it?

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 266

Re: Is there anyway we could not put RAW spoilers in topic titles?

Postby prophet » Jan 14, '14, 7:43 am

I guess if enough people agree with you a compromise would have to be made but I'm too keen on this to be honest. Personally I love it when people get excited enough about the show to make eye-catching titles and in many cases it attracts people to the section who perhaps don't even watch Wrestling anymore. If we took all WWE posts out of the 'new posts' section at the top of the index then activity in the section would likely decrease.

At the minute you're the only one who's brought this up but like I said if enough people agree with you I guess we'd have to figure something out.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby motionmann » Jan 14, '14, 9:51 am

I usually just stay away from here until I watch Raw. So I'm never the one to get spoiled.

But really, it's not that hard to keep topic titles clean of spoilers. For example, with that Daniel Bryan thread. The title could have been "Wow, that's the most over motherfucker WWE has ever had!". It keeps it catchy while also allowing people who haven't seen Raw from being spoiled. It's easy. I don't see why it should be a problem. We had this problem on the club. Let's not bring it here as well.

motionmann None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 9

Postby Messiah » Jan 14, '14, 10:28 am

I really, really disliked how Bryan and Cris were such dicks about SmackDown spoilers. She would constantly post it in the topic title when it was just as simple as just keeping it in the SmackDown results thread. Never saw the issue that they apparently saw with it.

However, SmackDown is a taped show and logically nobody should just spoil the results before it airs. RAW is a live show. You just in general should avoid any kind of social media that might get you spoiled and this applies to any television show. Might be helpful to establish an unofficial 24 Hour Rule, which I definitely don't see the problem with and would support, but if a new member came and said something about RAW that spoiled it for you, you can't really blame him/her, especially since this is a forum with a lot of wrestling fans and will attract wrestling fans. You just don't go to a site with a lot of Breaking Bad fans on a site with a Breaking Bad section with the expectations you won't be spoiled.

Not that I watch WWE at the moment but when I eventually get back into it (Royal Rumble), I'll make the topic titles to the point where it shouldn't spoil you (24 hour rule). I think that is fair and don't see the problem with it.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Everlong » Jan 14, '14, 10:52 am

I think there are definitely ways that we can make the site more spoiler-friendly. There used to be a great topic at WWE-Club written by FanNBham about how to write an effective topic title that gave you an idea of what the topic would be about but didn't spoil anything for people that hadn't seen the show yet.

For example, if Daniel Bryan were to win the World Championship on next RAW, there are a couple factors that you have to consider here:

-People don't want to be spoiled that there was a World Title change
-People don't want to be spoiled that Daniel Bryan was the one who won it.

So for example, you might make a topic called "Title change on RAW," or "Big Surprise in RAW Main Event," something like that.

Basically, I agree with what Messiah's saying here. I think people can certainly make an effort to curtail spoilers and keep the site spoiler-friendly for people who want to keep the element of surprise, but there should also be the understanding that sometimes, spoilers happen, and I hope that people don't get super pissed at people when it does, especially when we start to get some new members in here and they might not really be aware of those sort of considerations.

Also, I don't want to take the WWE section out of the recent topics section because every time Bryan used to do that with sections on WWE-Club, we saw activity in those sections take a sudden nosedive.

So basically my stance on this is: by all means, people should be proactive about keeping the site clean of spoilers in topic titles, but there should still be a mentality of "browse at your own risk" for people who have not yet seen the shows.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Settee » Jan 14, '14, 11:14 am

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but you are coming onto a forum that talks about wrestling, If you don't want to find out what happend, maybe you should just stay away till you have watched it yourself then join the conversation. Like Tim said, browse at your own risk. As for that topic about Bryan being over, I don't really see how it spoiled anything. It could have been as simple as Bryan still getting the biggest pop after he went heel and joined the Wyatt family.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 49

Postby HFX » Jan 14, '14, 11:38 am

How about y'all just tweak your titles to be user friendly.....

It doesn't take much effort to prevent spoilers and if you're so reluctant than it makes you seem like an ass and nobody wants to be like UTK. I know I used to watch MNF then come on to talk about the game and have parts of the late replay of Raw ruined for me. This forum isn't wrestling exclusive.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby SortaCreative » Jan 14, '14, 1:01 pm

HFX wrote:This forum isn't wrestling exclusive.

This. This all the way.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Jan 14, '14, 1:09 pm

Taj wrote:

This. This all the way.

+100000

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Messiah » Jan 14, '14, 1:21 pm

It isn't, but it is also a forum with wrestling being one of the sites most active sections with a good amount of members here following wrestling. Like I said above, you do not go on a site that has a bunch of Breaking Bad viewers (which I guess is any site or kind of social media) and a site where a Breaking Bad section is one of the most heavy populated without in the back of your mind knowing you might get spoiled. You don't go on a site where there a bunch of boxing fans with a heavy boxing section and not expect to have a fight spoiled for you that you had hoped to watch in your spare time because you recorded it.

Don't get me wrong, I agree and I support the idea of making the topic titles more user friendly (however, only for the next 24 hours; after that, anything goes IMO). But like Tim and I said, new members will sign-up and then you just can't expect them to know all of this. A bunch of fans react to the WWE, or any kind of show really, on impulse. You can't expect a new member to not end up making a thread saying, "Daniel Bryan wins the World Championship!" as that is a huge moment.

So even though I do agree the titles should be made to lessen the likelyhood of someone being spoiled and a 24 hour rule be enforced, you are still coming onto this site at your own risk.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby SKS » Jan 14, '14, 2:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I would support the 24 hour rule, it gives people like me some time to catch up if they missed the show or didn't watch it yet, but I think making the titles spoiler friendly would be the way to go.

I also think Reddit r/SquaredCircle does a great job with spoiler titles. Here's some examples of what's on the site now: The Definition of Over [RAW SPOILERS]; Why is no one talking about the Usos' performance last night? [Spoilers]; Look who showed up at Raw! [Spoilers]; (Spoiler) really knows how to sell a punch; Iron Sheik's thoughts of [SPOILERS] being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Each title hints a little bit on what the topic is about but spoils basically nothing. I mean, it probably wouldn't be to that extent on here, but I think if anyone who wants to make a thread on what happened would make a title like any of those, I'd be grateful and think it would be great for the site. I really don't see the big deal about making the titles spoiler friendly, I tried to do that on the old site but got yelled at anyway. I think HFX makes a nice point about this forum not being wrestling exclusive like the other one, as many here watch MNF, talk about it in the chat instead of RAW and catch up later.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jan 14, '14, 3:13 pm

Since it apparently was my thread that started this I should weigh in.
All the title said was Daniel Brian is the most over person wwe has. NOTHING about that says anything about what happened. Its not like the fucking title was "Daniel Bryan turns face against bray in a steal cage", the thread was about the crowd reaction not the changes in the storyline.
I personally think with the young age of this forum and the need / desire to attract more members we should be encouraging users to post topics right away. Not 24 hours or 3 days later and I don't think it should be some generic topic title like "heel turns face on raw" or "storyline changes on raw", if that be the case we should all just post topics with the title "something happened on raw".
Its the enthusiasm and lack of filtered down topics that make people look, if we make it bland then they are gonna click on the link for a wrestling devoted site they have heard of instead of comming here to see whats going on.

Another thing, it Raw, a live show. A topic title created during or after the show has no need to be watered down. If it was a SD related thread on Tuesday referencing Fridays show I could understand. What you are asking is the equivalent of asking for a thread about some major football player who broke his leg during a game to be generic or filtered because a handull of people have not seen the game yet.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Locke » Jan 14, '14, 4:26 pm

I'm with Settee and Westcoast on this one. I'm more of the tech guy, though, not really a rule enforcer, so I don't give a shit either way. I don't think it'd be a great idea to make a big hubbub about enforcing spoiler free topics and topic titles, though. It's easier for the one or two people this bothers to just lay low other than implement entire new rulesets to appease the few it bothers.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby JPG619 » Jan 14, '14, 4:29 pm

motionmann wrote:I usually just stay away from here until I watch Raw. So I'm never the one to get spoiled.

But really, it's not that hard to keep topic titles clean of spoilers. For example, with that Daniel Bryan thread. The title could have been "Wow, that's the most over motherfucker WWE has ever had!". It keeps it catchy while also allowing people who haven't seen Raw from being spoiled. It's easy. I don't see why it should be a problem. We had this problem on the club. Let's not bring it here as well.

That is what I do just stay away from here till I watch the show then I don't get spoiled because that ruins it for me. Same goes with sports events. I record the game to watch when I get home from work and normally don't listen to anything that would tell me the score for the game I want to watch or as here I say away if I record RAW but I do sometime recently can watch it live but work sometimes forces me to record it.

As for The Club they had a policy that they warn people that the site contains spoilers so there no rule there. If enough people vote not to put up spoilers then I be for that since I hate knowing before what happened on the show. However I just made a habit with not coming online till I watch the show.

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Postby SKS » Jan 14, '14, 5:48 pm

Westcoastvibes wrote:Since it apparently was my thread that started this I should weigh in.
All the title said was Daniel Brian is the most over person wwe has. NOTHING about that says anything about what happened. Its not like the fucking title was "Daniel Bryan turns face against bray in a steal cage", the thread was about the crowd reaction not the changes in the storyline.

It basically spoiled the turn. Why would they be marking out for him (being over) if he didn't turn face again? Maybe it's not the worst topic title but I can see how it is spoiler-ish.

Westcoastvibes wrote:I personally think with the young age of this forum and the need / desire to attract more members we should be encouraging users to post topics right away. Not 24 hours or 3 days later and I don't think it should be some generic topic title like "heel turns face on raw" or "storyline changes on raw", if that be the case we should all just post topics with the title "something happened on raw".
Its the enthusiasm and lack of filtered down topics that make people look, if we make it bland then they are gonna click on the link for a wrestling devoted site they have heard of instead of comming here to see whats going on.

I wasn't talking about not posting topics for 24 hours. I was talking about not posting SPOILERS in the topics for 24 hours to give people a chance to catch up. By all means, I would still want people to make topics. But at least take like 3 seconds to change the topic so that it doesn't spoil what happens.

Also, saying that we should just post topics with the title "something happened on raw" just makes you sound stubborn and mad. That's not what I was trying to propose. I gave examples on topic titles that hint at what it's about but don't spoil the entire thing. Instead of "JAKE THE SNAKE RETURNS!!!!!!" you can put "Hall of Famer Returns on Raw!". Or "SO AND SO WINS THE ROYAL RUMBLE" you can put "The winner of the Royal Rumble is...." That way, it makes people want to click on the topic. If people just want results they can go on WWE.com, they won't come on here just to see who won. They'd come on here to discuss, which they'd have to click on the topic to do, anyway, so I don't see how that matters in regards to this. You can be "enthusiastic" without spoiling things.

Westcoastvibes wrote:Another thing, it Raw, a live show. A topic title created during or after the show has no need to be watered down. If it was a SD related thread on Tuesday referencing Fridays show I could understand. What you are asking is the equivalent of asking for a thread about some major football player who broke his leg during a game to be generic or filtered because a handull of people have not seen the game yet.

And no, that's not the equivalent of what I'm asking. Sports =/= WWE. WWE is entertainment. It's a television show. I'm not going to go on ESPN or some sports site if I don't want to see the score of the game. I won't go on WWE.com if I don't want to see the results. But this isn't just a wrestling forum, I thought that was the point. We talk about a lot of things, sports, WWE, television shows, video games, technology, random bullshit, fun topics, jokes, etc.

Do what you want, I'm not a moderator so I hold no power over anything. I was just suggesting this because I really don't see the big deal about taking like maybe 5 seconds to ensure the topic you're about to post won't spoil people (that are on the site for other reasons) if they haven't seen what happened. I mean, wouldn't you want activity? Wouldn't you want people on the site? I just can't understand the whole "if you don't want to be spoiled, stay off the website" argument.

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby motionmann » Jan 14, '14, 7:32 pm

Holy hell, everyone is making such a big deal out of this. SKS is asking people to take what, 5 seconds?, to ensure that a title of a thread isn't spoilerish. I've always seen it done without thinking when it comes to TV Shows like The Walking Dead and what not. What's the big deal about asking people to be generous enough to do the same when it comes to Wrestling?

motionmann None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 9

Postby Settee » Jan 14, '14, 7:38 pm

motionmann wrote:Holy hell, everyone is making such a big deal out of this. SKS is asking people to take what, 5 seconds?, to ensure that a title of a thread isn't spoilerish. I've always seen it done without thinking when it comes to TV Shows like The Walking Dead and what not. What's the big deal about asking people to be generous enough to do the same when it comes to Wrestling?

I do agree with not putting clear spoilers in the title, but the Topic that started it didn't actually spoil anything with the title. All it said was Daniel Bryan is the most over wrestler. That could mean a lot of things, it didn't actually say what happened on Raw. When it comes to something like a title change there shouldn't be spoilers in the titles, but this one was just about Daniel Bryan's popularity. If the topic had been Bryan turns on the Wyatt's then I can understand him being upset, but with the title the way it was there was no spoiler at all.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jan 14, '14, 8:23 pm

By no means should anyone consider this an attack or with any anger behind it. I am gonna hold my ground on this because I feel confident that nothing should be done about this.

That being said, now we went from topics containing spoilers to topics that sound "spoilerish". Give me a fucking break.

Call me crazy but I look at a spoiler as information that will spoil the show BEFORE IT IS AIRED not after it has been showed nationwide. Just because someone was intelligent enough to associate a thread about Daniel Bryan being over as her turned back face does not mean anything was spoiled or even spoilerish. All I can suggest is that if you come on here on Monday night or Tuesday and see new threads posted in the wwe section - don't click on it.

Now please don't take this wrong, but unless an official rule is stated I am not going to make any topic titles generic or bland and I encourage everyone else not to either. I agree that if its a spoiler for a SD taping or something from a PPV then it should be vague but something like raw or a sports game then it should be free of transparency. If you didn't watch it when it aired then that's your problem and not mine.

Once again I am sorry for being so aggressive with this but trying to institute rules or guidelines to please a few leads to more rules and more rules, then people start getting banned for no reason, we start seeing my little pony everywhere and some guy starts RANDOMLY capitalizing words and putting............dots.............for no reason. And that is not what we are going for, at least I assumed it was not.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Settee » Jan 14, '14, 8:33 pm

Westcoastvibes wrote:By no means should anyone consider this an attack or with any anger behind it. I am gonna hold my ground on this because I feel confident that nothing should be done about this.

That being said, now we went from topics containing spoilers to topics that sound "spoilerish". Give me a fucking break.

Call me crazy but I look at a spoiler as information that will spoil the show BEFORE IT IS AIRED not after it has been showed nationwide. Just because someone was intelligent enough to associate a thread about Daniel Bryan being over as her turned back face does not mean anything was spoiled or even spoilerish. All I can suggest is that if you come on here on Monday night or Tuesday and see new threads posted in the wwe section - don't click on it.

Now please don't take this wrong, but unless an official rule is stated I am not going to make any topic titles generic or bland and I encourage everyone else not to either. I agree that if its a spoiler for a SD taping or something from a PPV then it should be vague but something like raw or a sports game then it should be free of transparency. If you didn't watch it when it aired then that's your problem and not mine.

Once again I am sorry for being so aggressive with this but trying to institute rules or guidelines to please a few leads to more rules and more rules, then people start getting banned for no reason, we start seeing my little pony everywhere and some guy starts RANDOMLY capitalizing words and putting............dots.............for no reason. And that is not what we are going for, at least I assumed it was not.

Exactly this.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby SlightlyJames » Jan 14, '14, 8:46 pm

I don't really care about the Bryan topic, that spoiled nothing. At the same time, Raw is on at an absurdly late time for us in the UK and if we have anything resembling a life we can't always watch it live. It'd be nice not having to stay away from what is at this point a general discussion forum without being spoiled on the previous night's Raw if I haven't quite seen it yet. I'm talking real spoilers here, not the Bryan one, mind.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Next

Return to Forum Info and Discussion