It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 5:56 am

Is this poster racist?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Is this poster racist?

Postby KaiserGlider » Jun 29, '16, 7:56 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... s-apology/

The media made a big deal over this Yesterday and the Red Cross issued a statement saying it had discontinued the posters.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: Is this poster racist?

Postby Kreashko » Jun 29, '16, 8:08 pm

It definitely could be viewed as racist when you think about it but I'm sure the ARC didn't MEAN to make it racist.

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Postby Circled Square » Jun 29, '16, 10:21 pm

Who gives a fuck

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby VaderBomb » Jun 29, '16, 10:40 pm

I vote "Yup".

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby CMPUNKFAN » Jun 30, '16, 12:19 am

That is 100% not racist, this country is such a joke anymore.

CMPUNKFAN Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 119

Postby PorkChop » Jun 30, '16, 2:54 am

Reminds me of these:

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Twister » Jun 30, '16, 3:00 am

I'm going to err on the side of yes.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 30, '16, 3:35 am

Circled Square wrote:Who gives a fuck

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby EmperorWu » Jun 30, '16, 4:25 am

SlightlyJames wrote:
Circled Square wrote:Who gives a fuck

This!

I don't think it was intentional, and if it was who really cares. I would say there are bigger issues involving racism to worry about.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 62

Postby DBSoT » Jun 30, '16, 8:58 am

Racism has to have at least some intent and I don't see that here. Also are we supposed to ignore the white kid at the top who is drinking a beer? The only one that seems really odd is the black kid in the middle with his mouth open. What exactly is he doing wrong?

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jun 30, '16, 9:18 am

I dont get it, why is this racist?

I really dont understand why people have to bitch about everything and find issue with everything

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby VaderBomb » Jun 30, '16, 10:40 am

Why is that little blue whale flying through the air? I assume he's the entity deeming these acts "not cool" or "cool"...

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Circled Square » Jun 30, '16, 10:58 am

There is an idea of a little blue whale, some kind of abstraction. But there is no real little blue whale, only an entity, something illusory. And though he can hide his cold gaze and you can shake his fin and feel flesh gripping yours, and maybe you think your lifestyles are probably comparable, he simply is not there.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jun 30, '16, 12:10 pm

Circled Square wrote:There is an idea of a little blue whale, some kind of abstraction. But there is no real little blue whale, only an entity, something illusory. And though he can hide his cold gaze and you can shake his fin and feel flesh gripping yours, and maybe you think your lifestyles are probably comparable, he simply is not there.

But he is telling me to be cool and follow the rules

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Circled Square » Jun 30, '16, 1:05 pm

[
Westcoastvibes wrote:
Circled Square wrote:There is an idea of a little blue whale, some kind of abstraction. But there is no real little blue whale, only an entity, something illusory. And though he can hide his cold gaze and you can shake his fin and feel flesh gripping yours, and maybe you think your lifestyles are probably comparable, he simply is not there.

But he is telling me to be cool and follow the rules

The living shall envy the dead if you do not be cool and follow the rules.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby prophet » Jun 30, '16, 2:37 pm

I've never thought you were racist Kaiser, no.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » Jun 30, '16, 4:54 pm

EmperorWu wrote:I don't think it was intentional, and if it was who really cares. I would say there are bigger issues involving racism to worry about.

Just because there are large issues, doesn't mean that the small issues shouldn't also be addressed.

This pattern of thinking is often used to defend minor accounts of racism/sexism. And I can see the logic behind not caring about the little stuff like this when it seems mostly harmless and like it's not hurting anyone. But what these things do over time is make racists think it's okay to be racist. They get used to thinking of coloured people in a certain way and then they see that enforced over and over again in the media, even in minor or seemingly innocent ways, and that tells them that other people agree with them and that they must be right.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jun 30, '16, 6:21 pm

Hanley! wrote:
EmperorWu wrote:I don't think it was intentional, and if it was who really cares. I would say there are bigger issues involving racism to worry about.

Just because there are large issues, doesn't mean that the small issues shouldn't also be addressed.

This pattern of thinking is often used to defend minor accounts of racism/sexism. And I can see the logic behind not caring about the little stuff like this when it seems mostly harmless and like it's not hurting anyone. But what these things do over time is make racists think it's okay to be racist. They get used to thinking of coloured people in a certain way and then they see that enforced over and over again in the media, even in minor or seemingly innocent ways, and that tells them that other people agree with them and that they must be right.

Agree, but why is this poster racist? I don't see it

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Circled Square » Jun 30, '16, 6:25 pm

Or maybe it's a fucking poster with no bad intentions that gets picked apart because the non whites aren't receiving degrees in physics in it, or are being portrayed in a negative light, which I find hard to believe, as kids breaking pool rules is a kids thing, not a race thing. It's a poster for pool safety. NOT a reflection on minorities ability to parent, kek.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby KaiserGlider » Jun 30, '16, 8:24 pm

This video pretty much reflects my views on the subject:

Basically, nobody would give this poster a second glace unless somebody else brought up the racism discussion. It's a complete non-story and it's obvious the Red Cross they went out of their way to make it racially diverse (but apparently not bulletproof, lol). I wanted to post this to see what types of responses it generated here from different people.

prophet wrote:I've never thought you were racist Kaiser, no.

Proof: I put over a bunch of limeys in PCW.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Return to The Pub