It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 6:05 am

Race equality in the music/film industry

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Race equality in the music/film industry

Postby Westcoastvibes » Feb 16, '16, 6:48 am

To start, I understand that all men/woman should be treated as equal regardless of their race. I also understand that there is a great injustice in the world regarding race equality. There does happen to be something that is bugging the crap out of me with this though....

Watching various thing on TV such as the oscars, Grammys, globes, mtv awards, bet awards, superbowl halftime and more, there is a large influence by black celebrities to bring attention to equal rights for blacks. I am okay with this, but it is confusing. Its confusing because these celebrities or governing parties are promoting race equality for blacks with segregation. For some reason having a group of black people performing a song or speaking publicly about how they are be8ng held down by the white man is okay but for them to practice the act of race equality is not. I could be looking at this the wrong way, bbutshould the preacher practice what he preaches? It almost feels like a one sided argument, like kids on a playground saying "we want into your clubhouse but your not allowed in ours"

Please, someone shed some light on this

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 98

Re: Race equality in the music/film industry

Postby Everlong » Feb 16, '16, 10:22 am

I guess I'm not really sure what you're asking.

How are they promoting equality with segregation? Are you saying black people talking about issues predominantly affecting black people is segregation? If that's the case then I'd have to say you're completely wrong.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby DBSoT » Feb 16, '16, 12:36 pm

I think it is just a case of people commenting on their life experiences. A black artist is way more likely to comment about stuff they have experienced, then on causes that don't affect them. I find it more odd when people comment on stuff that they have no understanding of. Like when celebrities comment about issues in other countries that do not affect them. Though It is possible they are well intentioned, they come across uninformed and attention seeking.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Westcoastvibes » Feb 16, '16, 1:20 pm

Everlong wrote:I guess I'm not really sure what you're asking.

How are they promoting equality with segregation? Are you saying black people talking about issues predominantly affecting black people is segregation? If that's the case then I'd have to say you're completely wrong.

For example, there was an act pperforming a song dedicated to racial equlity yet it was at least 15+ people on stage but not one person was other than black. Is 8t accepted to preach racial equality but not practice it?

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Feb 16, '16, 1:23 pm

Westcoastvibes wrote:

For example, there was an act pperforming a song dedicated to racial equlity yet it was at least 15+ people on stage but not one person was other than black. Is 8t accepted to preach racial equality but not practice it?

I don't really know how one can see this as a situation in which they're not practicing racial equality. The people on stage preaching this message are all black because black people are those who are underrepresented and discriminated against.

If they were out saying "fuck white people" then yeah you'd have a point.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Feb 16, '16, 4:13 pm

Everlong wrote:
Westcoastvibes wrote:

I don't really know how one can see this as a situation in which they're not practicing racial equality. The people on stage preaching this message are all black because black people are those who are underrepresented and discriminated against.

I do understand what he's saying to a point. The biggest problem with racial inequality and really all inequalities in our society, is everyone is out to prove a point and be aggressive in their pursuit of whatever they are fighting for, when in reality fighting isn't the best way to go about this all the time. Rather than an aggressive and angry song by Kendrick Lamar, you'd go a lot further to bring people together in racial harmony by getting a diverse people on stage to sing a harmonious song.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby VaderBomb » Feb 16, '16, 8:26 pm

The Legend wrote:
Everlong wrote:
Westcoastvibes wrote:

I do understand what he's saying to a point. The biggest problem with racial inequality and really all inequalities in our society, is everyone is out to prove a point and be aggressive in their pursuit of whatever they are fighting for, when in reality fighting isn't the best way to go about this all the time. Rather than an aggressive and angry song by Kendrick Lamar, you'd go a lot further to bring people together in racial harmony by getting a diverse people on stage to sing a harmonious song.

Kendrick is the furthest thing from divisive. His people are disenfranchised and his entire message is to bring people together.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Westcoastvibes » Feb 16, '16, 9:06 pm

The Legend wrote:
Everlong wrote:
Westcoastvibes wrote:

This is kind of were I was heading with this. Think about the what big of a deal the song "we are the world" was, now think about how much of an impact that song would have not had if it was just a single race of people singing. The message is there but how much of a difference is being made when nobody wants to be the better man and make an attempt to correct the problem.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Return to The Pub