It is currently: May 14, '24, 4:52 am

Backpacking Europe / Australia, any advice / tips?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Backpacking Europe / Australia, any advice / tips?

Postby Headlesspete » Feb 02, '16, 7:45 pm

So come March, I'm gonna be going to America for 3 weeks for a New York / WrestleMania combined trip, and I've decided to do the other big dream in the same year, and go backpacking in Europe and beyond later on. I'm gonna be working a festival job from April to September non stop to save up, and then come September head off.

Here's the ting, bar going to America in March, i won't have had any real experience of traveling another country since i was 10. So any tips and advice on what to do , prepare, be worried about etc? Should i try and plan as much as i can, or simply start in a country and play everything by ear.

My main concern is i plan to go on my own. There's a few mates that have said they'd like to do it too, but i actually wanna go on my own as i think it will force me to meet new people and force myself to get out my comfort zone. I'm lucky that I'm pretty confident, so the idea of starting random conversation with a stranger would't bother me. But still, am i wise to go on my own?

Anyway, any advice or experience would be great!

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 61

Re: Backpacking Europe / Australia, any advice / tips?

Postby War Daddy » Feb 02, '16, 9:18 pm

Dont find yourself in a Hostel situation.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 122

Postby Everlong » Feb 03, '16, 8:27 am

The biggest tip I have is do as much research and planning as you can in advance, and create a reasonable schedule you can work with. This will make the whole experience a lot more pleasant and you won't ever feel like you're just wandering around.

Part of your planning should include where you can stay. Whether that means hostels, couchsurfing, AirBNB or whatever, I'd try to have that planned out as much as possible.

Where are you planning on going?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Feb 03, '16, 8:33 am

My biggest advice is pack light so you don't drown swimming from Europe to Australia. :P

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Return to The Pub