It is currently: May 08, '24, 12:25 pm

Need Advice - I'm about to be fired..

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Need Advice - I'm about to be fired..

Postby Headlesspete » Dec 03, '15, 4:09 pm

So i can't really post this on Facebook, and i don't wanna tell too many folks as I'm already embarrassed, but i have no idea what, if anything, to do.

So i work in a supermarket, and today i stole a packet of crisps. I admit right off the bat, I'm in the wrong, technically its theft no doubt. I was caught by the security guard, and within an hour the area manager arrived and has suspended me, as he investigates the matter. I asked point blank if this would result in me being fired and he told me probably.

Here's the thing, not only am i going to be fired to what amounts to a 10p bag of crisp, but the they were in the "write off" area, an area for stock that's going to be thrown away (the crisps were apart of a multi-pack that was ripped open), so its not not like i have stolen anything of value to be boot.

Apparently I'll be contacted in about 4 or 5 days for a meeting to find out whats going to happen, but the manager was pretty blunt in telling me its a breach of trust and that i was probably going to be fired. Do i have any kind of room to argue my case? I mean, being fired for a 10p bag of crisps that was already going to be thrown away, is there no way of arguing that? Or is it simply "theft is theft" and I'm just best to leave it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 61

Re: Need Advice - I'm about to be fired..

Postby Str8Shooter » Dec 03, '15, 4:20 pm

Tough one, unfortunately maybe I'm a hard ass but I think I'm in the camp of "theft is theft", even though I feel for you. Now this kind of thing might even happen with others where you work, but they didn't get caught. And the "others do it too" defense doesn't really work :P

My advice would be to apologize profusely, admit that you were wrong and promise to never do anything like that again if they do keep you on. If they insist on letting you go, don't argue it, take the defeat, and maybe ask them if they would consider letting you "quit" rather than be fired so it doesn't mess you up for future job opportunities. Maybe they'll feel for you and allow you to leave with some dignity.

Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore if you think I'm an idiot. :P

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 03, '15, 4:22 pm

I would imagine it's a policy thing that you would be reprimanded/fired for taking the crisps. It doesn't matter that they were getting chucked out as it is, presumably they suspect that you would place something in that area just so you could later pinch it? I know that sounds awfully scummy but in their view if you're stealing things it could lead to more if they don't act.

I don't know how familiar you are with your boss but I guess he doesn't know you well enough to give you the benefit of the doubt (or his hands are tied because policy says you've got to go). If you do get fired then sorry brother, it's a silly thing to get fired for. Just buy the crisps next time eh? :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Str8Shooter » Dec 03, '15, 4:25 pm

Also, if I were you I'd insist on paying for the crisps, even if you get canned. At least that way you might earn some points and get in their good graces just for the gesture.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby DBSoT » Dec 03, '15, 4:31 pm

Unfortunately, you really don't have much of case if you were caught red handed. I would just request to pay for the product and await your fate. In the US, a lot stores have a theft policy where the thief has to pay 10X the price of the product and is banned from all store affiliates for a year. I would see if you can pay an increased prices for the crisps and hope they don't let you go.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Headlesspete » Dec 03, '15, 4:34 pm

Yeah I'm not arguing the case, as soon as the manager came in i said i didn't deny it. And yeah, there are plenty of others that do it too, but i know that won't help my case, It'll just drag others down and i don't wanna do that. I've been there 7 months, get on really well with everyone, never been disciplined before, and was doing pretty well.

I did ask point blank after he told me i probably would get sacked, could i resign first, and he said it would't matter, as they don't give reasons to other employers why someone's left, they only provide job title and start / end date, so i guess that's that.

I fucked up, i know.

Oh, and i did pay for them before the manager turned up, but it kinda felt pointless by then aha.

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author
Topics: 61

Postby The Legend » Dec 03, '15, 5:31 pm

Yeah I'd agree with others and say apologize profusely and throw yourself on the mercy of the court so to speak. Insist on repaying the store for the product plus damages and see where that gets you.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby SortaCreative » Dec 03, '15, 6:10 pm

Headlesspete wrote:i stole a packet of crisps

why?

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » Dec 03, '15, 6:15 pm

Did you know what you were doing though? Was it one of those things where you didn't realise that there was anything wrong with taking them, given they were going to be thrown out otherwise? Or did you know that it was wrong and did it anyway?

I'd go with a two tiered approach: first of all, claim that you didn't really realise that you were doing anything wrong. If they think that you're the sort of person who steals, they won't want to work with you. But you could definitely make the case that you didn't think of it as stealing.

Second of all, you apologise profusely, take full responsibility and let them know that you understand now that what you did was wrong. Promise that you'd never do anything like that ever again.

Don't throw anybody else under the bus, and don't get too defensive. Let them know that you made a mistake, but also let them know that it was a mistake and not a calculated act.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Viazon » Dec 04, '15, 3:00 am

If you are so sure you will be fired, maybe you should quit before they get a chance to do it. That way it doesn't look as bad on your record. It will be like you left on your own accord.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 04, '15, 7:27 am

Viazon wrote:If you are so sure you will be fired, maybe you should quit before they get a chance to do it. That way it doesn't look as bad on your record. It will be like you left on your own accord.

He addressed that already, they don't give out any information regarding how/why he left so it doesn't matter if he quits or gets sacked.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 04, '15, 10:04 am

I think if you do go for the meeting, try to take someone with you. They should give you the opportunity to bring a work colleague in (one who you're comfortable with) or when I had one a few years ago in a call centre, they provided someone to sit with me in a meeting.

Hanley's advice is sound but you could say it was an instinctive decision, not something thought out and pre-planned and you weren't aware that the stock due to be chucked away would not be allowed to be consumed by staff (if they haven't explained a process for this stock, then it's plausible that you took the crips because you simply weren't aware that it'd result, potentially, in you getting fired if you took a 10p crips).

As rest have said, apologise profusely and if all fails, try to end on good terms and take it as a lesson. ;)

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby prophet » Dec 04, '15, 1:51 pm

What crisps were they?

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534

Postby Hanley! » Dec 04, '15, 2:23 pm

prophet wrote:What crisps were they?

I wouldn't want to be fired for anything less than Monster Munch.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 04, '15, 2:38 pm

Hanley! wrote:

He said 10p crisps so I'm assuming low-tier own brand crisps or something like Chipsticks, Space Raiders etc.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby prophet » Dec 04, '15, 2:55 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
Hanley! wrote:

He said 10p crisps so I'm assuming low-tier own brand crisps or something like Chipsticks, Space Raiders etc.

Who nicks a bag of Chipsticks? :lol :lol :lol

No sympathy I'm afraid. It's cool that you're remorseful for what you did but you shouldn't have done it and deserve all you get.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534

Postby PorkChop » Dec 04, '15, 3:04 pm

You'll be alright Pete, it's only a packet of crisps. If you'd been stealing from the till or stole something which was still intending to be sold you might face the sack, but I don't see why they'd sack you in this instance.

Still, I would've held out for some roast beef Monster Munch.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 04, '15, 3:05 pm

PorkChop wrote:You'll be alright Pete, it's only a packet of crisps. If you'd been stealing from the till or stole something which was still intending to be sold you might face the sack, but I don't see why they'd sack you in this instance.

Still, I would've held out for some roast beef Monster Munch.

I'd sooner fire you for picking Roast Beef over Flamin' Hot than I would for stealing tbh.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Twister » Dec 05, '15, 5:51 pm

Say that you didn't realise it wasn't allowed and that because they were being thrown out you didn't see it as stealing. Take full responsibility and admit that you made a mistake, apologise profusely and reiterate that it will never happen again. It does seem over the top that you'd be fired over stealing a 10p bag of crisps, but they do have to have procedures in place for this sort of thing as for some people this may be the tip of the iceberg. I reckon if you 'play your cards right' so to speak then you may just get off with a warning. Of course that entirely depends on how understanding your boss is.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Messiah » Dec 05, '15, 11:51 pm

*chips

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Next

Return to The Pub