It is currently: Apr 18, '24, 3:05 pm

Does anyone else get totally annoyed by Reddit?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Does anyone else get totally annoyed by Reddit?

Postby Locke » Aug 12, '15, 1:15 pm

I don't do a whole lot on Reddit, mostly I lurk if anything, or I make a reply to something if I feel it helps/adds to the conversation. However, there are times that I do post a thread, whether it's a question or an observation, and I just find it exceedingly frustrating.

For example, I asked a question about a game recently, and whether or not people thought I should pick it up or not. I got a decent amount of replies that evening and went about my business. I was just looking at my post history and I noticed the thread was downvoted into oblivion. Nothing wrong was said in the thread, no fighting took place, but still the downvotes poored in.

In another sub that's dedicated to whether or not reality is a simulation or not (it's mostly for shits and giggles, I enjoy hypothetical reading), someone prefaces their experience by admitting drug use. I simply responded that I didn't think using drugs really fit with the theme of the sub, as it is experiences people are relating that might allude to reality being simulated. Obviously fucking up your mind and then claiming to see messed up things is rather stupid (honestly the whole sub is rather stupid, but I digress). Again, instead of using logic or reason, people just downvote it to shit until it disappears.

VERY similar things happen on /r/squaredcircle, so much so to the point that I don't even post there anymore, I just lurk.

Does anyone else find this happening on Reddit? Maybe I'm just a 100% complete fuckface on there but usually I feel I'm pretty reasonable, so it's frustrating. I don't even really try to post anymore anywhere online, I get the continuous feeling that the rest of the world/internet is just turning 100% toxic and hateful and it's hard to escape so.. why participate?

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 137

Re: Does anyone else get totally annoyed by Reddit?

Postby Viazon » Aug 12, '15, 1:17 pm

I once asked a question on reddit. Someone answered it. I then said thank you.

My post saying thank you got 3 downvotes.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby Hanley! » Aug 12, '15, 1:17 pm

I've always avoided Reddit, because it seems like it's a breeding ground for this kind of nastiness. Also because I hate the layout of the place, but that's a separate issue.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Aug 12, '15, 1:22 pm

I love Reddit in terms of finding interesting content and especially for NFL news because it's a great aggregate source, but a lot of the comments are terrible. What's worse is that these people constantly hold themselves up as some sort of bastion of intelligence and maturity, when in reality they're not much better than the comments section on ESPN or Huffington Post or anything like that.

Basically, Reddit is great for finding funny/interesting things and for learning about niche subjects (I've learned a TON about homebrewing and cooking from it, for example, and would like to try some DIY projects I've seen on there as well) but if you're actually looking to have good, stimulating, friendly discussions you're better off not trying there.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Locke » Aug 12, '15, 1:33 pm

Viazon wrote:I once asked a question on reddit. Someone answered it. I then said thank you.

My post saying thank you got 3 downvotes.

This is more or less exactly what I was talking about. Glad to see I'm not alone. I think reddit is the reason why downvotes, of any sort, from anywhere, just piss me off.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 137

Postby PorkChop » Aug 12, '15, 1:42 pm

I visit reddit, but I don't have an account. I've never felt compelled to sign up and post anything, and a big reason for that is because of the aforementioned reasons.

One thing that really bugs me about reddit is that a lot of members seem to consider it as some kind of undiscovered, awesome corner of the internet. It's not. It's the biggest website of its kind, and gets countless unique hits every day.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Kein » Aug 12, '15, 1:51 pm

I like reddit. I have an account mostly to keep my subscribed subreddits in order, but I don't really post much. I tried posting and it was okay, hardly got noticed, hardly got lynched.

The reddit community is like a flock of birds though, some things are cool and some things are not, and if you don't conform you don't fit in.

The vote system on there bothers me about as much as the rep system on here sometimes.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby War Daddy » Aug 12, '15, 5:15 pm

I always get my shit deleted by some auto-mod bot that thinks im not contributing to the discussions.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby GNR » Aug 12, '15, 5:36 pm

As an aggregate news and content host it's great, as a community it's just as shit as the rest of the internet.

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 18

Postby Westcoastvibes » Aug 12, '15, 8:57 pm

What aggravates me the most about reddit is the consistent hate and down voting by the spelling police and their partners the grammar Nazi's.

If I had to guess, I would say a larger percentage of posts are created by some sort of mobile device. Not everyone wants or even has the time to make sure every fucking word is correct with no typos and every single fucking comma is in place.

Fuck Reddit, I lurk as a guest but will never have an account

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby KaiserGlider » Aug 14, '15, 10:08 pm

The Grammar Nazi thing is blown out of proportion. I do see people being corrected for spelling/grammar mistakes, but it seems like there's way more posts with errors that get ignored by regular people like you and me that don't really give a shit if every post isn't perfect.

The way I usually use Reddit is to search for a topic that interests me (or that I'm curious to learn more about), and then read the top comments. Keep in mind that quality of posts will vary by topic and subreddit, but you can definitely find really good discussions, particularly in topics where people share their own personal experiences or stories. On another note, r/WTF is great for looking at... interesting pictures, you can easily spend many hours there going through the top posts of all time. Same with r/explainlikeimfive, r/askreddit, and some others.

I try not to spend much too much time there though, because the tone of the community does get to you after a while. Sometimes it downright pisses me off, like in r/squaredcircle which I don't visit as much as I used to due to the insane levels of LOLTNA there. As Kein said there's a similar way of thinking in the community and you don't always fit in - like any internet forum (including this forum). Also I don't really post on Reddit because I feel like I have nothing to contribute. Posting here is better because it's a smaller place and your posts get noticed.

All in all, in my experience Reddit is great for learning new information, just don't linger too long.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Circled Square » Aug 14, '15, 10:13 pm

I wish digg won the war all those years ago because Reddit is a shit hole that was burnt down to the ground by Ellen Pao.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby VaderBomb » Aug 15, '15, 12:35 am

Kein wrote:The vote system on there bothers me about as much as the rep system on here sometimes.
\\

What's wrong with our rep system? Seems pretty fair to me. You say something interesting and receive positive rep, you say something stupid and get negged. What's the issue?

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Daz » Aug 15, '15, 3:24 am

I get annoyed by the mob mentality, but that's not exclusive to reddit by any means. I could do without the casual sexism and racism that seems to creep into everything though.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Return to The Pub