It is currently: Jun 06, '24, 8:28 am

Anyone have any weird phobia's or fears?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Anyone have any weird phobia's or fears?

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 06, '15, 8:33 am

I've always been weirdly uncomfortable in elevators. I can take them, but I'm just not particularly comfortable inside, I'm afraid it'll stall and I'll be trapped in there. Too many things can go wrong :lol

How about you guys?

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Re: Anyone have any weird phobia's or fears?

Postby GNR » Aug 06, '15, 9:27 am

I'm terrified of birds. The way they suddenly move and snap their heads... eugh

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 18

Postby Circled Square » Aug 06, '15, 9:30 am

Cars driving slowly when I'm walking down the street. The hood ruined me. :lol

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby VaderBomb » Aug 06, '15, 10:47 am

I get really bad anxiety riding in the car on highways. The other drivers freak me out, I don't trust them.

Also AMAs.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby PorkChop » Aug 06, '15, 11:20 am

VaderBomb wrote:I get really bad anxiety riding in the car on highways. The other drivers freak me out, I don't trust them.

I used to get pretty bad anxiety when driving too, I've had a couple of near misses with some idiots on the road and it really put me off. A few months ago I sold my car (barely used it anyway) and I cycle everywhere now.

I prefer cycling in general. I find that I'm more comfortable knowing what's around me as I'm not stuck inside a metal box, looking through mirrors all the time. It's much better.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Circled Square » Aug 06, '15, 11:25 am

I couldn't imagine not driving. The metal box makes me feel safer, but maybe that's because I own a pickup truck. :lol

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Hanley! » Aug 06, '15, 11:51 am

Str8Shooter wrote:I've always been weirdly uncomfortable in elevators. I can take them, but I'm just not particularly comfortable inside, I'm afraid it'll stall and I'll be trapped in there. Too many things can go wrong :lol

How about you guys?

You know how they say that fear of flying is illogical, because the amount of people who die while flying is minuscule compared to the amount of people who die while driving?

Fear of elevators is probably more illogical when you think about it. Statistically, almost nothing ever goes wrong on an elevator. Whereas people get injured falling down stairs all the time. Elevators are a much safer way to go up and down. :P

Not making fun of you at all, cos most of our fears are illogical. It's just funny to think about.

My stupid fear is pigeons. They creep me out. I have no problem with birds from a distance, they can even be quite nice to see about the place. But pigeons look weird, and they're the only bird that'll just walk right under your feet and not give a fuck. I try to avoid them, but it's pretty difficult to get away from them in Dublin city sometimes.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby VaderBomb » Aug 06, '15, 12:45 pm

HANLEY'S AFRAID OF PIGEONS!!!!!!

EVERYBODY LOOK! READ!

THE SIGHTS, THE SOUNDS, THE SPECTACLE, THA PAGEANTRY OF IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Twister » Aug 06, '15, 12:47 pm

I can't cope with bees and wasps. If one comes near I can't just sit and wait for it to go away, I have to move away and the fucker nearly always follows me resulting in me walk-running around the place going "go way why do you always follow me??!?! Leave me alone!". I get a fair few weird looks if this happens in public.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby UTK » Aug 06, '15, 12:54 pm

I have a fear of puking and seeing somebody puke. In college, I almost died one night because I drank way too much but refused to let myself throw up and I had to get my stomach pumped. If a medication's common side effect is nausea or vomiting, I'll refuse to take it (this sucked when I had the flu, as Tamiflu can usually cause vomiting.) I know that puking is gross to mostly everybody, but I'm legitimately frightened by it and can't do it / won't let my body do it. If I accidentally ingested a poison and I realized it before it was too late, I'd probably let the poison kill me before I made myself throw it up. (for those plotting my murder, poison is a good idea)

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Twister » Aug 06, '15, 12:55 pm

There's a name for that 'Emetophobia' or something.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Hanley! » Aug 06, '15, 1:02 pm

UTK wrote:I have a fear of puking and seeing somebody puke. In college, I almost died one night because I drank way too much but refused to let myself throw up and I had to get my stomach pumped. If a medication's common side effect is nausea or vomiting, I'll refuse to take it (this sucked when I had the flu, as Tamiflu can usually cause vomiting.) I know that puking is gross to mostly everybody, but I'm legitimately frightened by it and can't do it / won't let my body do it. If I accidentally ingested a poison and I realized it before it was too late, I'd probably let the poison kill me before I made myself throw it up. (for those plotting my murder, poison is a good idea)

I actually have this too. I think my fear of throwing up is somehow connected to some kind of fear of suffocating or something, because it isn't that puke is gross that bothered me. It's just the idea of stuff moving up my throat, and the fear of that sensation when it feels like something is stuck in my throat.

This was my biggest fear for ages, but it subsided a bit in the last couple of years. It might not be that much of an issue for me now, as I might not be able to throw up anymore. I had surgery on my oesophagus recently and the surgeon said that a common side effect is not being able to throw up anymore.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby JPG619 » Aug 06, '15, 1:05 pm

Well I am a lot like R-Truth I have a phobia of spiders well in thing that crawls like centipedes. I am OK with ants but spiders freak me out.

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 06, '15, 2:19 pm

Twister wrote:I can't cope with bees and wasps. If one comes near I can't just sit and wait for it to go away, I have to move away and the fucker nearly always follows me resulting in me walk-running around the place going "go way why do you always follow me??!?! Leave me alone!". I get a fair few weird looks if this happens in public.

I hate bees and wasps too! I know they say if you just ignore them they'll go away and won't hurt you, but I mean come on. If a wasp gets within two feet of me my blood pressure rises and I need to create some distance :P

Hanley! wrote:Fear of elevators is probably more illogical when you think about it. Statistically, almost nothing ever goes wrong on an elevator. Whereas people get injured falling down stairs all the time. Elevators are a much safer way to go up and down. :P.

I'd rather take the stairs if I could haha. I feel like at least if I trip and fall down some stairs, presumably it's my own fault, through being careless, or rushing, not looking, etc. If an elevator fucks up, there's nothing I could have done about it :P

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 06, '15, 3:04 pm

Agree on the wasps - they're more fucking annoying bees. Bees don't tend to come indoors that often so if they do, know they got a job to do and eventually, with a window open, they will fly back out. Wasps just stay indoors the buggers.

Other than that, I'm not a heights person. But luckily, haven't been in a position when I've shit myself in a fear of heights scenario yet....

A fear of mine, and bordering on anxiety, has been driving. I had an embarrasing experience at 16 and despite taking lessons and passing my test in 2009, never really recovered from that incident. Then, when I got a car without really doing my research (know absolutely fuck all about cars) I drived it sparingly and ended up having a few more embarrassing incidents which knocked my confidence. Eventually, I left the car in the driveway (sold it), take the bus/train everywhere now. Will have to tackle that car anxiety soon but just don't trust myself to get to a level when I can be over that anxiety, sadly.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby VaderBomb » Aug 06, '15, 9:10 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote: Eventually, I left the car in the driveway (sold it), take the bus/train everywhere now. Will have to tackle that car anxiety soon but just don't trust myself to get to a level when I can be over that anxiety, sadly.

The way I look at it is:

One less person polluting the world with a car.
No car insurance bills or "visits" to the garage.
Less likely that you're going to die a horrible death.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby lyonssv » Aug 07, '15, 6:25 am

Whoever said birds, I second that. Birds scare the fuck out of me. Literally my biggest fear. Every type of bird. Scary as hell.

I had a bird do a fly by on me one time and now just the sounds of a bird's wings flapping makes me want to piss my pants lol. I was cleaning my gutters the other day and noticed a bird had created and nest and was sitting on its eggs. I almost had a heart attack and no I won't even go on that side of the outside of my house, lol. Irrational, I know.

lyonssv Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 13

Postby Daz » Aug 07, '15, 8:05 am

Komodo Dragons. Irrational fear that began when I was about 7. Been unreasonably terrified of them ever since. I managed to go about ten years with this never becoming a problem, but since Skyfall, the fuckers seem to pop up everywhere.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Twister » Aug 07, '15, 3:38 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:
Twister wrote:I can't cope with bees and wasps. If one comes near I can't just sit and wait for it to go away, I have to move away and the fucker nearly always follows me resulting in me walk-running around the place going "go way why do you always follow me??!?! Leave me alone!". I get a fair few weird looks if this happens in public.

I hate bees and wasps too! I know they say if you just ignore them they'll go away and won't hurt you, but I mean come on. If a wasp gets within two feet of me my blood pressure rises and I need to create some distance :P

I don't buy the staying still and ignoring them thing, it's a conspiracy! Running away is obviously the smartest course of action.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Kein » Aug 07, '15, 4:50 pm

Ya'll are bunch'a pussies :D

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Next

Return to The Pub