It is currently: May 12, '24, 6:03 am

GNR AMA

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Re: GNR AMA

Postby GNR » Aug 06, '15, 11:24 am

VaderBomb wrote:Top five Kanye songs? I'm a huge fan.

As am I, Kanye is my favorite artist ever. The best concert I've ever been to was Kanye West with Kendrick Lamar as the opening act. No one knows how to put on a show like that man.

As for top 5, extremely hard. But I will go:

1. Power
2. Blood on the Leaves
3. Through the Wire
4. Runaway
5. Lost in the World

As a bonus I will rank his albums:

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy- Masterpiece. Straight up masterpiece. One of the best albums of the decade.

2. The College Dropout
3. Late Registration

A toss-up between these two for me.

4. 808s & Heartbreak- Very different album, but one that I totally like and appreciate.
5. Graduation- Very fun album, the 1st time I had ever listened to Kanye, was so surprised when I heard his other stuff.

6. Yeezus- Probably his weakest project, but I still really like this project, the concert was amazing and some of the songs I am a big fan of.

Bonus: Watch the Throne- I absolutely love this album, it's so hype, and I attribute all of my success on my great SAT/ACT scores to this album, I listen to it front to back before any standardized test. :lol

Circled Square wrote:Anything about yourself that some people might not expect?

I take amazing care of my skin. I moisturize and use face wash every day, as well as cocoa butter on my joints. Once a week I use a mint julep face masque. I have no acne.

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 18

Postby VaderBomb » Aug 10, '15, 2:29 pm

GNR wrote:
VaderBomb wrote:Top five Kanye songs? I'm a huge fan.

As am I, Kanye is my favorite artist ever. The best concert I've ever been to was Kanye West with Kendrick Lamar as the opening act. No one knows how to put on a show like that man.

As for top 5, extremely hard. But I will go:

1. Power
2. Blood on the Leaves
3. Through the Wire
4. Runaway
5. Lost in the World

As a bonus I will rank his albums:

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy- Masterpiece. Straight up masterpiece. One of the best albums of the decade.

2. The College Dropout
3. Late Registration

A toss-up between these two for me.

4. 808s & Heartbreak- Very different album, but one that I totally like and appreciate.
5. Graduation- Very fun album, the 1st time I had ever listened to Kanye, was so surprised when I heard his other stuff.

6. Yeezus- Probably his weakest project, but I still really like this project, the concert was amazing and some of the songs I am a big fan of.

Bonus: Watch the Throne- I absolutely love this album, it's so hype, and I attribute all of my success on my great SAT/ACT scores to this album, I listen to it front to back before any standardized test. :lol

Circled Square wrote:Anything about yourself that some people might not expect?

I take amazing care of my skin. I moisturize and use face wash every day, as well as cocoa butter on my joints. Once a week I use a mint julep face masque. I have no acne.

I'd rank his albums as such:

1.) My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2.) Yeezus
3.) 808s and Heartbreak
4.) Watch The Throne
5.) Graduation
6.) Late Registration
7.) The College Dropout

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby GNR » Aug 10, '15, 8:21 pm

Wow that's interesting, 808s and Yeezus were some of his most scrutinized works by critics and fans alike. College Dropout at last is pretty bold, some people consider that his best work. Why is it last on your list?

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby EmperorWu » Aug 10, '15, 11:33 pm

What is your favorite joke?

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby GNR » Aug 11, '15, 11:08 pm

EmperorWu wrote:What is your favorite joke?

I don't really have a favorite one joke really, but I'm a terrible person and love Helen Keller jokes. :lol

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby VaderBomb » Aug 12, '15, 12:19 pm

GNR wrote:Wow that's interesting, 808s and Yeezus were some of his most scrutinized works by critics and fans alike. College Dropout at last is pretty bold, some people consider that his best work. Why is it last on your list?

I love College Dropout but Kanye got better once he lost the skits and focused entirely on individual songs. Kanye gets better and better as his career progresses and his music gets more and more unique, universal and personal all at once.

Yeezus is next level. It's one of the most unusual, thought provoking and striking LPs by a popular mainstream artist in a very long time. Black Skinhead, New Slaves, I Am a God, Blood on the Leaves and Bound2 are up there with the absolute greatest songs ever conceived. Where he pulled this stuff out of is beyond me.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby VaderBomb » Aug 12, '15, 12:20 pm

Also, I'd rank Cruel Summer around the level of 808s. It's definitely better than Watch The Throne.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby GNR » Aug 12, '15, 5:36 pm

VaderBomb wrote:
GNR wrote:Wow that's interesting, 808s and Yeezus were some of his most scrutinized works by critics and fans alike. College Dropout at last is pretty bold, some people consider that his best work. Why is it last on your list?

I love College Dropout but Kanye got better once he lost the skits and focused entirely on individual songs. Kanye gets better and better as his career progresses and his music gets more and more unique, universal and personal all at once.

Yeezus is next level. It's one of the most unusual, thought provoking and striking LPs by a popular mainstream artist in a very long time. Black Skinhead, New Slaves, I Am a God, Blood on the Leaves and Bound2 are up there with the absolute greatest songs ever conceived. Where he pulled this stuff out of is beyond me.

Ok yeah I understand your point about the skits. My problem with Yeezus is that all those songs are great (besides I Am a God, never really liked that), but some of the other songs on the album are just wack.

I definitely don't think Cruel Summer holds a candle to Watch to Throne, 808s, or Late Registration, any track without Kanye on it was mediocre at best and we heard a 1/3 of the album before it even officially came out from singles, I'd put it on par or below Graduation.

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby War Daddy » Aug 12, '15, 5:43 pm

Do you eat the booty like groceries?

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby GNR » Aug 12, '15, 6:12 pm

War Daddy wrote:Do you eat the booty like groceries?

Hell no, I'd eat Jhene Aiko's though. :kobe3

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby VaderBomb » Aug 12, '15, 6:59 pm

GNR wrote:
VaderBomb wrote:

Ok yeah I understand your point about the skits. My problem with Yeezus is that all those songs are great (besides I Am a God, never really liked that), but some of the other songs on the album are just wack.

I definitely don't think Cruel Summer holds a candle to Watch to Throne, 808s, or Late Registration, any track without Kanye on it was mediocre at best and we heard a 1/3 of the album before it even officially came out from singles, I'd put it on par or below Graduation.

I Am a God is likely my third or fourth favorite song on Yeezus. For me, the only track that isn't quite as good as the rest is I'm In It.

New Slaves and Blood on the Leaves would both be in my top 5 Kanye songs. Watch the Throne was really good but I'm not huge on Jay Z, so parts of that record sort of had the Jay Z effect for me.

I wasn't as big of fan of Kanye when Cruel Summer dropped as I am now, so I can't relate to the leaked tracks thing. I do think that there are some great songs within it. Clique, Mercy, New God Flow, The One, Creepers and I Don't Like are probably my favorites but I've only spun that record a few times. I definitely have to revisit it.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby War Daddy » Aug 12, '15, 9:55 pm

GNR wrote:

Maaaaaan, fresh shower booty. Tastes like cupcake

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby GNR » Aug 12, '15, 10:43 pm

VaderBomb wrote:
I Am a God is likely my third or fourth favorite song on Yeezus. For me, the only track that isn't quite as good as the rest is I'm In It.

New Slaves and Blood on the Leaves would both be in my top 5 Kanye songs. Watch the Throne was really good but I'm not huge on Jay Z, so parts of that record sort of had the Jay Z effect for me.

I wasn't as big of fan of Kanye when Cruel Summer dropped as I am now, so I can't relate to the leaked tracks thing. I do think that there are some great songs within it. Clique, Mercy, New God Flow, The One, Creepers and I Don't Like are probably my favorites but I've only spun that record a few times. I definitely have to revisit it.

Fair enough.

I really think you should consider Late Registration though, that is a freaking fantastic album. In particular I especially think you should look at the last verse of Gone, that's probably the best verse he has ever spit, in my opinion. It's just filled front to back with excellent tracks. DIamonds from Sierra Leone (Remix) has a fantastic Jay-Z feature which many call the best verse of his career. It's just a terrific record that I definitely think you should consider giving it again, because it really doesn't belong anywhere near the bottom of Kanye's discography, it's accolades, merits, and the music should really speak for itself.

War Daddy wrote:
GNR wrote:

Maaaaaan, fresh shower booty. Tastes like cupcake

Man, poop comes out of there.

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby War Daddy » Aug 12, '15, 10:52 pm

Sometimes you get a booty crumb, that's life nigga.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Previous

Return to The Pub