It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 7:38 am

Literally.

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Literally.

Postby Hanley! » Jul 23, '15, 11:48 am

This thread has been inspired by @GNR's video game/sport thread. It reminded me of an infuriating news item I heard recently.

'Literally' is one of those words that's misused all the time. A certain type of person has a tendency to say things like "I literally died", apparently oblivious to the fact that if they had literally died, then they would literally be dead right now and unable to form idiotic sentences.

People have been using the word for emphasis for years now, ignoring the actual meaning of the word. And then recently, the definition of the word changed. 'Literally' can now mean both literally OR figuratively.

Opinions among my friends and other writers I know are actually kind of divided on this. So I'd be interested to hear what you guys think. Personally, I don't like it at all.

The argument for this new definition is that people have been using the word in this way already, and our formal language should evolve to match the way we actually speak to each other. And I usually don't have a problem with that premise. I'm not one of those people who complains every time they add a word like 'selfie' to the dictionary. It is a real word that describes a real thing, and it's used by lots of people all the freaking time. It should be a word.

But the problem I have with the new definition of 'literally', is that it's made the word LITERALLY pointless. It now means either one thing, or the exact opposite of that thing. So it means nothing. There's no reason to use it anymore. It would be like changing the definition of the word 'night' so it can mean either 'night' or 'day'.

I'm interested if there are any differing opinions on this one. I'm really just hoping that people will gradually start using the word properly again and we can ignore this new, crappy definition.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Literally.

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 23, '15, 11:56 am

I don't think there's any need for a redefining of the word, from what I've always assumed the misuse of the word is intentional and a bit tongue in cheek. The use of the word in that way would, to me, fall more under the banner of... slang? Well not slang but I hope you can see where I'm driving here.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby The Legend » Jul 23, '15, 11:59 am

^^^ I wouldn't hope for people to start using the word correctly too hard. It's not likely coming any time soon. I'm with you that this is a little different than a slight alteration to a word, but ultimately society uses words and sets their meaning. If literally has been rendered meaningless, well then that's our own fault.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Viazon » Jul 23, '15, 12:00 pm

They can't just go ahead and change the meaning of a word because people are frequently misusing it! I always used to take great pleasure in being condescending and sarcastic to people whenever they used to word literally whenever they meant figuratively. They can't take that away from me.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Circled Square » Jul 23, '15, 12:02 pm

Grumpy old men occupy this board.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby The Legend » Jul 23, '15, 12:14 pm

Circled Square wrote:Grumpy old men occupy this board.

Yes you do.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Circled Square » Jul 23, '15, 12:18 pm

The Legend wrote:
Circled Square wrote:Grumpy old men occupy this board.

Yes you do.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jul 23, '15, 12:19 pm

Here is my issue,
My wife works nights and sleeps durring the day so I must literally tell her good night even though its clearly daytime.

My brain hurts now, to the point that it just might literally explode, figuratively of coarse.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 23, '15, 12:22 pm

Westcoastvibes wrote:Here is my issue,
My wife works nights and sleeps durring the day so I must literally tell her good night even though its clearly daytime.

My brain hurts now, to the point that it just might literally explode, figuratively of coarse.

Well you can say good night to her, but I doubt you say "Literally good night, darling" or whatever. :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby SortaCreative » Jul 23, '15, 12:43 pm

It's difficult.

I agree that it shouldn't have been changed so that literally can mean literally and the exact opposite figuratively.

But the use of literally when meaning figuratively is sometimes intentional. It needs a certain inflection and tone and context for it to make sense. It's often repeated or used when repeating a statement. It's pretty obvious when it's not meaning literally but figuratively. So I disagree that it's now meaningless. It's a weird one.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 23, '15, 2:57 pm

I just remember Michael Cole on an episode of Raw saying that someone had "literally got their head knocked off their shoulders".

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Jul 23, '15, 3:04 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:I just remember Michael Cole on an episode of Raw saying that someone had "literally got their head knocked off their shoulders".

This is far from the dumbest thing Michael Cole has ever said.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Postby GNR » Jul 23, '15, 7:47 pm

To be honest I can't see or hear the word now without thinking of Chris from Parks and Rec :lol

However I do think phrases like "literally died" are dumb, but I agree with Taj because a lot of people do use it to enhance the meaning of what they're trying to say and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, and I'll be honest I do like to say things like "Literally, you're so annoying" and what-not, but I understand that usage like that isn't necessarily proper usage. I don't think it's the only word that suffers from improper usage, people describe things as "beast" or "legit" and that's not correct either.

I think it's ok to use it for emphasis in a conversational setting, but it shouldn't have it's definition changed because it still needs to be used properly in a formal English setting, like speeches or essays. I highly doubt people are just going to gradually start using the word properly though, seems unlikely to me.

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 18

Postby Twister » Jul 24, '15, 2:11 pm

I am guilty of using the word literally in the figurative sense *hangs head in shame*

I'm literally handing myself in to the Grammar Police as we speak.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby SortaCreative » Jul 24, '15, 2:57 pm

Twister wrote:I am guilty of using the word literally in the figurative sense *hangs head in shame*

I'm literally handing myself in to the Grammar Police as we speak.

:angry4

:lol

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to The Pub