It is currently: May 17, '24, 8:07 pm

How do you feel about video games being called a sport?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Are Video Games a Sport?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes : 12

Re: How do you feel about video games being called a sport?

Postby Everlong » Jul 23, '15, 10:35 am

Sports:

Football, soccer, basketball, baseball, track and field, volleyball

Not sports:

Anything you can legitimately (and would in fact likely) play while drinking a beer.

Verdict: video games is not a sport.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby GNR » Jul 23, '15, 10:36 am

SortaCreative wrote:Why does it make you so angry?

Does it bother you that ESPN are showing Heroes of the Storm tournaments on their channels? BUT MAH SPORTS. DEY JUST SIT ON THEIR FAT BUTTS PLAYING GAMES HUUUR DUUUR.

I never said angry or acted angry, it's annoying and absurd, chill dude. :lol ESPN is a TV channel, they can show whatever the hell they want, just because they broadcast video games doesn't mean video games are sports, 90% of MTV shows have nothing to do with music. It annoys me because if you're going to start calling video games a sport, that means that you'll have to call gamers athletes and that's dumb af in my opinion.

What is wrong with just calling it what it is, competitive gaming? Why does it need the distinction of being called a sport?

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 18

Postby War Daddy » Jul 23, '15, 11:24 am

Dis gon b one of dem threads isn't it?

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Everlong » Jul 23, '15, 11:25 am

War Daddy wrote:Dis gon b one of dem threads isn't it?

If you think video games are a sport then you're a british nancy boy bin man who likes scollops and pussy-ass gun control.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Hanley! » Jul 23, '15, 11:27 am

I wouldn't care that ESPN are showing competitive video games. The majority of what's on the channel is sport, but I see no problem with them having the odd exception. As GNR said, at least they're not on MTV's level. And there's no obvious gaming channel to show these kind of events instead. Although a dedicated gaming channel would be great actually.

It doesn't really matter how video games are classified, but as an English major and a writer and someone who enjoys language, I have a problem when we as a society attempt to harm our language in some way.

Most dictionary definitions of sport include terms like "physical exertion" or "energetic", because sports are supposed to be physical. If you start throwing in all sorts of different games and competitions, the word starts to mean less. Which hurts our language. It makes it more difficult for us to communicate with each other (if only slightly).

That's my take on it anyway. I don't care if video games are shown on sports channels, or even included in certain mass sporting events. But it would bug me if they started being commonly referred to as a sport in the common lexicon.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Jul 23, '15, 12:09 pm

SortaCreative wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I've not once seen a video game tournament on ESPN.

So then it must not be true if you've not seen it.

Apparently this topic has touched a nerve with you and I'm not sure why. I never claimed it never happened, just I didn't see it.

People refusing to call "gaming" a "sport" shouldn't piss you off. It's just reality. It's not degrading to gamers to not call them athletes, it's just using common sense. They aren't athletes and it isn't a sport. that's not to say it isn't competitive or it isn't a skill gamers have honed with extensive practice. A doctor hones his skills and practices his abilities, but they don't call it "Accounting", they are two different fields that can both be considered important while acknowledging that they are completely different.

A sport is defined as: An ATHLETIC activity requiring skill and PHYSICAL PROWESS, often of a competitive nature. A particular form of this especially OUTDOORS.

I've capitalized all of the words that differentiate gaming from a sport.

An athlete is defined as: A person trained or gifted in EXERCISES or contests involving PHYSICAL AGILITY, STAMINA or STRENGTH. A participant in a sport, exercise or game requiring PHYSICAL skill.

Again, the capitalized words seperate athletes from gamers.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby The Legend » Jul 23, '15, 12:13 pm

Everlong wrote:Sports:

Not sports:

Anything you can legitimately (and would in fact likely) play while drinking a beer.

I disagree with your distinction. I often drink while playing golf, basketball, baseball/softball, volleyball, soccer or bowling. All of these things require physical ability and athletic skill.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Circled Square » Jul 23, '15, 12:26 pm

The Legend wrote:

Not sports:

I disagree with your distinction. I often drink while playing golf, basketball, baseball/softball, volleyball, soccer or bowling. All of these things require physical ability and athletic skill.

nigga how the fuck are you playing baseball/basketball/volleyball and drinking at the same time? Unless you're Julian from Trailer Park Boys and carry around a drink all the time. :lol

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby DBSoT » Jul 23, '15, 12:34 pm

The Legend wrote:

Not sports:

I have done the same. I have even drank during flag football games, though I don't recommend it. Hell there are many professional athletes that got loaded before games.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby SortaCreative » Jul 23, '15, 12:37 pm

I don't understand how I have apparently called games a sport.

People call them a sport because of what professional sports actually represent. Not the fact that it's a physical activity that you simply cannot do while intoxicated. But because actual sports have leagues, are televised, have competitions, player salaries etc. etc. It's short hand. There's no short catchy word for it other than "esports".

At the end of the day, it's going to be compared to "legit srs bsns sports". That's where the interest is going. Get used to it.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby The Legend » Jul 23, '15, 2:11 pm

Circled Square wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Not sports:

how the fuck are you playing baseball/basketball/volleyball and drinking at the same time? Unless you're Julian from Trailer Park Boys and carry around a drink all the time. :lol

I don't do it all the time and I don't necessarily do it in the middle of playing, but baseball/softball, have you never heard of a beer league? As for basketball/volleyball, I'll do it at holiday picnics and what not. Drink, play a little, drink, play a little.

I'm by no means suggesting I do it all that competively, or that I'm very good at the games when I do it, but I have done it.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Circled Square » Jul 23, '15, 2:14 pm

Ooooh, I guess I see what you mean. I don't think I could get rat arsed (fuck I love that term) and play sports, but to each their own. I'd certainly have to stop myself after getting buzzed.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 23, '15, 2:52 pm

If you'd have told me the most active thread we've had in months would be about competitive video gaming and what to call them, I would have said you were crazy....

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby GNR » Jul 23, '15, 7:37 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:If you'd have told me the most active thread we've had in months would be about competitive video gaming and what to call them, I would have said you were crazy....

It's because everyone loves me and they are glad that I came back to post a topic. :P

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby EmperorWu » Jul 25, '15, 4:22 am

Under my definition it's not a sport. But I give zero shits, if someone thinks it is who am I to argue.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 62

Postby PorkChop » Jul 25, '15, 5:27 am

If you think video games are a sport you are a tool and should have your console taken away. You should also be forced to go outside.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Everlong » Jul 25, '15, 7:53 am

PorkChop wrote:If you think video games are a sport you are a tool and should have your console taken away. You should also be forced to go outside.

Now this is the pot stirring mentality I like to see.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby War Daddy » Jul 25, '15, 8:19 am

Everlong wrote:
War Daddy wrote:Dis gon b one of dem threads isn't it?

If you think video games are a sport then you're a british nancy boy bin man who likes scollops and pussy-ass gun control.

I knew it was gonna be one of them threads.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby GNR » Jul 25, '15, 11:56 am

PorkChop wrote:If you think video games are a sport you are a tool and should have your console taken away. You should also be forced to go outside.

Mwahaha, foolish console pleb, you forgot about LE PC MASTERRACE

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby Kein » Jul 26, '15, 10:17 pm

I consider gaming competitive but I dunno about a sport per say.

Although I admit I couldn't do it, sitting on my ass for months playing games all day like, 14 hours a day everyday? For months? My body wouldn't take that....

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub