It is currently: May 02, '24, 8:47 pm

Sexuality: Is it a choice?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Re: Sexuality: Is it a choice?

Postby War Daddy » Feb 26, '15, 6:09 pm

I will say this. We had a kid in our school choose to be gay just because majority thought he was. So he went with it.

True story, not making it up. Do I think it's a choice? No. Do some people choose to be? Rarely but it happens.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 122

Postby Circled Square » Feb 26, '15, 6:12 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:I will say this. We had a kid in our school choose to be gay just because majority thought he was. So he went with it.

True story, not making it up. Do I think it's a choice? No. Do some people choose to be? Rarely but it happens.

He most likely was Gay anyway, lol.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Viazon » Feb 26, '15, 6:13 pm

Gay people get so much shit and are discriminated against all the time. They receive so much hate from ignorant hate filled people. Some of them live in such fear because they are afraid of how they would be treated and so they live a life of secret and agony. Now, I ask you, why would anyone ever choose a life like that? If it was so simple as just merely choosing to be gay, why wouldn't they choose to be straight if it meant they could lead an easier life?

It is most definitely not a choice and I think it is ridiculous to assume otherwise.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby War Daddy » Feb 26, '15, 6:16 pm

Circled Square wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:I will say this. We had a kid in our school choose to be gay just because majority thought he was. So he went with it.

He most likely was Gay anyway, lol.

Maybe but his comments were "Everybody thinks im gay, might as well be anyways.".

He wasnt treated any different, it was just expected I guess :lol Works for Vogue now.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Circled Square » Feb 26, '15, 6:17 pm

Viazon wrote:Gay people get so much shit and are discriminated against all the time. They receive so much hate from ignorant hate filled people. Some of them live in such fear because they are afraid of how they would be treated and so they live a life of secret and agony. Now, I ask you, why would anyone ever choose a life like that? If it was so simple as just merely choosing to be gay, why wouldn't they choose to be straight if it meant they could lead an easier life?

It is most definitely not a choice and I think it is ridiculous to assume otherwise.

What world do you live in? Gay's get accepted and integrated perfectly fine where I'm at. I grew up with plenty of Gay people and none of this barbarian shit you're talking about occured. There's extreme cases of hatred everywhere. It's not as if being straight is the easiest thing, either. What if you're unattractive? Poor? The dating pool between Gays is much smaller. This whole "secret and agony" thing is fabricated, in their own minds - will my parents hate me? Will my friends hate me? Those questions are valid - they usually end up with a resounding no, however.

There's no answer on it, yet. To assume it's a choice is wrong - to assume it isn't, is wrong. Until we find out why people become Gay, it's just opinionated nonsense.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby Viazon » Feb 26, '15, 6:21 pm

Circled Square wrote:
Viazon wrote:Gay people get so much shit and are discriminated against all the time. They receive so much hate from ignorant hate filled people. Some of them live in such fear because they are afraid of how they would be treated and so they live a life of secret and agony. Now, I ask you, why would anyone ever choose a life like that? If it was so simple as just merely choosing to be gay, why wouldn't they choose to be straight if it meant they could lead an easier life?

What world do you live in? Gay's get accepted and integrated perfectly fine where I'm at. I grew up with plenty of Gay people and none of this barbarian shit you're talking about occured.

Terrorists have never bombed buildings in the town I live in. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen other places.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Circled Square » Feb 26, '15, 6:25 pm

Terrorism is a whole 'nother level of hatred. Murdering people does not equal calling somebody a faggot on the internet. Or in real life. Terrorism is also a lot more uncommon than somebody being called a homophobic slur. People being killed in the western world because they are Gay is also extremely rare.

I don't think it's relevant to bring up what people are doing to Gays in barbaric third world shitholes. They are barbaric third world shitholes. What do you expect?

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Viazon » Feb 26, '15, 6:34 pm

Circled Square wrote:Terrorism is a whole 'nother level of hatred. Murdering people does not equal calling somebody a faggot on the internet. Or in real life. Terrorism is also a lot more uncommon than somebody being called a homophobic slur. People being killed in the western world because they are Gay is also extremely rare.

I don't think it's relevant to bring up what people are doing to Gays in barbaric third world shitholes. They are barbaric third world shitholes. What do you expect?

I never said terrorism had anything to do with gays. Of course they are two completely different things. That wasn't what that was about. I was merely stating a point. Just because you don't see something happen around you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Do you seriously mean to tell me, after a huge thread in which people went all up in arms about a gay kiss on a TV show and posted many hate filled comments on the internet, that gay people aren't discriminated against?

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Circled Square » Feb 26, '15, 6:57 pm

Viazon you know damn well I never said that. It's just not as common as you think it is. It's hard to believe, but most people, aka a statistical majority, don't judge gay people. At least openly.

I don't care if people are Gay. I don't agree with it, but that doesn't sway my opinion on the person either way. Is that open homophobia? I wouldn't consider it closeted, as it's seperate from my perception of people. I'm wording it wrong, but I think you get me.

It exists. It's just not as terrible as the world makes it out to be. For example, on Twitter?

:lol

I don't agree to that 100%, but how many times do you think I hear the word nigger on Twitter, or people being against blacks, especially on the internet? It's much worse however say if you're on Facebook and somebody stalks you and calls you derogatory slurs, but how often does that happen?

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Viazon » Feb 26, '15, 7:04 pm

Circled Square wrote:Viazon you know damn well I never said that. It's just not as common as you think it is. It's hard to believe, but most people, aka a statistical majority, don't judge gay people. At least openly.

You didn't have to say it. You said to me, "what world do you live in?" when I said it. So it seemed kinda implied. Also, I never said anything about barbarian shit happening to them. It was you who bought that up I merely stated that they are discriminated against. Which they are. Just because it doesn't happen often where you are and just because you don't see it, doesn't make it so.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Feb 26, '15, 7:08 pm

^^ I'm not sure he has the same standards for discrimination as the rest of us. When he says he doesn't see homosexuals being discriminated against, I think he just means he hasn't seen them being burned in the street.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Circled Square » Feb 26, '15, 7:09 pm

Viazon wrote:
Circled Square wrote:Viazon you know damn well I never said that. It's just not as common as you think it is. It's hard to believe, but most people, aka a statistical majority, don't judge gay people. At least openly.

You didn't have to say it. You said to me, "what world do you live in?" when I said it. So it seemed kinda implied. Also, I never said anything about barbarian shit happening to them. It was you who bought that up I merely stated that they are discriminated against. Which they are. Just because it doesn't happen often where you are and just because you don't see it, doesn't make it so.

And I simply replied that it isn't very common. I would say racism is a lot more common, at least in my part of the world - I'm a Canadian (former American) and rarely saw that type of thing growing up, open homophobia. I've seen two straight people use the word faggot. Just like I've seen two white/whatever race using the word nigger. A common term here when you smoke a joint and make it wet, is "don't nigger lip it bro" :lol so I believe in context. People nowadays don't call each other faggots, I don't hear it as much as I did when I was in highschool. That was only four years ago, but still.

I'm a bit insecure on how I word things so sorry if I "implied" something. I'm now clarifying, I didn't.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Circled Square » Feb 26, '15, 7:11 pm

Hanley! wrote:^^ I'm not sure he has the same standards for discrimination as the rest of us. When he says he doesn't see homosexuals being discriminated against, I think he just means he hasn't seen them being burned in the street.

Borderline ad hominem from a guy capable of 10/10 posts. I even said open discrimination is not common. Never said anything about murdered in the street. The fuck?

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 26, '15, 8:47 pm

Circled Square wrote:I'm a Canadian

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Messiah » Feb 26, '15, 8:52 pm

If it makes you feel better Circled Square, I understand where you're coming from. :lol

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Circled Square » Feb 26, '15, 9:11 pm

Don't worry about it, Messiah. I'm just drawing heat. :lol

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Messiah » Feb 26, '15, 9:20 pm

I think where the disconnect is coming from is look at where everyone who is involved in this is from. Hanley is from Ireland, Viazon is from England, Circled Square lives in Canada. We have different experiences. Now is Circled Square being a little short-sighted here? Yeah, probably so, and I mean that with no offense. But if I was just arguing with another American, I would agree with what he is saying. To make it seem like the majority of gay people live in fear is kind of an exaggeration. Except it is true, just it doesn't apply to where we live.

I'm trying to word it the best I can. Basically what I'm saying is, both sides are right here. I think what CS is saying is being taken out of context a tad, but he isn't looking at the bigger picture either. There are a lot of places in the world where homosexuality is 100% forbidden. That has to be taken into account to, especially when we have so many people on this site from so many different places in the world.

Hope I explained that well.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Circled Square » Feb 26, '15, 9:25 pm

Oh I get that. I was just making the generalization that we all are from places that are comparable when it comes to the way we treat Gay people. It's obviously an issue when we talk about things like people being executed or literally hunted for money because they may have done something sexually with someone of the same gender. I'm not short sighted - I think the social aspects of homosexuality in the first world are interesting - how we react, how other people react, etc. That's worthy of discussion. Anything else, like them being killed is wrong, not even worth talking about how wrong it is because it's just on a whole different level.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Everlong » Feb 27, '15, 9:32 am

[quote="Circled Square"]I don't care if people are Gay. I don't agree with it, but that doesn't sway my opinion on the person either way. Is that open homophobia? [/quote

But there's nothing to agree or disagree with. It's like agreeing or disagreeing with someone being black, or someone being a man.

Even if you're not going out of your way to discriminate against gay people, it is homophobia because there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what it means to be gay, and a sense that for some reason there's even a need to voice your approval about a part of who they are as a person, something that (disregarding the spirit of this thread) cannot be changed.

Who cares what we "agree" with? They're gay, they deserve the same treatment as everyone else, and people who "don't agree" may not be actively discriminating, but they're still perpetuating a harmful mindset. THat's homophobia.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Daz » Feb 27, '15, 10:30 am

Yes, gays are not persecuted against at all, that's why it's still illegal to be homosexual, express any remote interest in homosexuality, and can be imprisoned for their sexual orientation in certain countries. Many are still fighting for the right to get married (because marriage is so scared, what with certain celebrities making a mockery of it, marrying for 72 days and the like) in so called civilized western countries.

I think it's short sighted and small minded to think that this is not the case, just because you don't see it with your own two eyes where you live. Also, there's a far greater personal struggle at work, that you'll never be privy to with the person themselves. Even with an extremely liberal family, it must be very hard to voice that you're homosexual, knowing that you're unlikely to give your parents biological grandchildren and the like. To say someone would make that "choice" willing is absolutely ludicrous.

I couldn't agree more with Tim when he says there's nothing to agree or disagree with. It's not a question or a right that needs to be quibbled over. Being gay, is just something certain people are, and it's not up to us, or anybody for that matter, to give people permission to be who they are.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub