It is currently: May 08, '24, 11:13 pm

When picking wedding readings, you have to wade through a lot of shite

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

When picking wedding readings, you have to wade through a lot of shite

Postby Hanley! » Feb 15, '15, 3:10 pm

For the most part, I'm one of those rare men that actually enjoys being involved in the organisation of my own wedding. I was picky about what venue to choose, what photographer to choose, and I'll definitely be picky about the food and the cake. I'm usually very certain of what I like, but today me and Kirbi started to look at the ceremony itself (which is very open to customization, because we're having a humanist ceremony). Here I'm less sure of what I want.

Our humanist celebrant recently gave us a list of readings we could use for our wedding. We can pick completely different ones too, but she gave us a few dozen that are regularly used to act as a starting point. I'm not sure if we're just not soppy enough people, but most of them just seem a bit cringe-worthy. Lots of faffing on about the moon and the sun and the sea. Poems by Robert Burns and Lord Byron and that kind of stuff.

I'm including one of the readings below. I've changed just one word, but I think it makes a big improvement. See if you can guess which one it is.

Some say I can fly on the wind, yet I haven’t any wings.
Some have found me floating on the open sea, yet I cannot swim.
Some have felt my warmth on cold nights, yet I have no flame.
And though you cannot see me, I lay between two lovers at the hearth of fireplaces.

I am the twinkle in your child’s eyes.
I am hidden in the lines of your mother’s face. I am your father’s shield as he guards your home.
Some say I am stronger than steel, yet I am as fragile as a tear.
Some have never searched for me, yet I am around them always. Some say I die with loss, yet I am endless.

And though you cannot hear me, I dance on the laughter of children.
I am woven into the whispers of passion. I am in the blessings of grandmothers.
I embrace the cries of newborn babies.
Some say I am a flower, yet I am also the seed.

Some have little faith in me, yet I will always believe in them.
Some say I cannot cure the ill, yet I nourish the soul.
And though you cannot touch me, I am the gentle hand of the kind.
I am the fingertips that caress your cheek at night.

I am Batman.

We did manage to pick out some readings that we liked, but the majority of them were a bit nauseating. We'll probably scour the internet for some more before long. Have any of our husbands here suffered through this stuff in the past. @Everlong, are you suffering through this stuff at the moment too? :P If anybody has any idea where to get inspiration for this kind of thing, I'd be glad to hear it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: When picking wedding readings, you have to wade through a lot of shite

Postby Everlong » Feb 15, '15, 3:25 pm

It can't be Batman, can it :D

We haven't really gotten around to picking readings yet, though that's something we're going to have to look into soon. Because we're having a Christian pastor doing our ceremony, we'll have at least one reading coming from the bible. But there are so many of those bible verses done for weddings that are really trite and overdone, so we'll probably be hoping to find one that is both applicable to our lives and not the "love is patient, love is kind" crap or, even worse, the "wives, be submissive to your husbands" garbage, haha.

So far I've probably done more of the actual organization and planning of things, just because I'm a better planner than she is. But we're doing fairly well so far. Have a venue (fo free), a caterer, a photographer and some other stuff. So far it hasn't been too bad of a process.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Feb 15, '15, 3:52 pm

So far we have the venue and the photographer. The venue does the food too. We've put together music set-lists for the party, cos we're just playing our own music over a PA system instead of getting a DJ. I just bought a wedding ring for myself yesterday too.

So along with the ceremony, I think invitations, clothes, decorations and cake are the things that still have to be sorted. Maybe I'm overlooking stuff though. So far this whole wedding thing doesn't seem as hard as people make out. Could be that it gets worse closer to the date though.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Feb 15, '15, 3:53 pm

Hanley! wrote:We've put together music set-lists for the party, cos we're just playing our own music over a PA system instead of getting a DJ.

Yeah, doing the same for ours. Trying to cut costs as much as possible, haha.

Hanley! wrote: So far this whole wedding thing doesn't seem as hard as people make out. Could be that it gets worse closer to the date though.

Yeah I feel the same way, but I think people just tend to make it way more difficult than it needs to be.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Chewy » Feb 20, '15, 3:14 am

Wife and I didn't do any readings, we just did the ceremony and fucked off.

Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby flock u » Feb 20, '15, 3:56 am

When me and my wife finally got married we planned our wedding around our love for Music and instead of readings we each had 3 songs each that we personally picked that to us perfectly explained how we felt about one another.

As far as the Venue and all those other things went I just pretty much let her make those decisions she wanted to make them and it's really her day anyways lol.

flock u Male
Jobber
Jobber

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 3

Return to The Pub