It is currently: May 09, '24, 11:00 pm

Volunteering experiences..

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Volunteering experiences..

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 11, '13, 11:59 am

I'm due to start my first day volunteering tomorrow at an organisation which actually handles volunteering opportunities for other people.

I'm going to be doing admin duties and meeting and greeting people and hopefully doing volunteering interviews with people. Interestingly, they are looking to increase their social media activity so hope I can help with that and see if it leads anywhere.

Slightly nervous but excited at the same time. I'd always said I'd volunteer but lazyness got the better of me but now out of work and inspired by someone who got a job via volunteering has kicked me into action.

Any tips on how to get through a successful volunteering placement?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Volunteering experiences..

Postby Everlong » Nov 11, '13, 1:57 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:I'm due to start my first day volunteering tomorrow at an organisation which actually handles volunteering opportunities for other people.

I'm going to be doing admin duties and meeting and greeting people and hopefully doing volunteering interviews with people. Interestingly, they are looking to increase their social media activity so hope I can help with that and see if it leads anywhere.

Slightly nervous but excited at the same time. I'd always said I'd volunteer but lazyness got the better of me but now out of work and inspired by someone who got a job via volunteering has kicked me into action.

Any tips on how to get through a successful volunteering placement?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Sorry dude, I just now saw this.

Basically, it's lame advice, but just relax and be yourself. People at volunteer organizations are always super happy when new people come in to help out, so they're going to be extremely grateful that you're there. You might be worried that you might mess something up, but they're not going to be worrying about that at all.

But if you're relaxed and genuinely enjoying yourself, people will notice.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby PorkChop » Nov 11, '13, 2:03 pm

I've volunteered before with people with learning difficulties, I loved it and would definitely do it again.

Just be cool. Like Tim said, they're probably going to be super happy you're there - after all, they need your help. Just do your best to get on with everyone and contribute to a positive atmosphere.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 11, '13, 5:00 pm

^Thanks fellas. ;)

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Nov 11, '13, 6:17 pm

Heh, I actually worked at a place like that up until a couple of months ago, we registered Volunteers and got Organisations on board to take them. The social media part was actually part of my job, I was doing marketing. :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 11, '13, 6:33 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:Heh, I actually worked at a place like that up until a couple of months ago, we registered Volunteers and got Organisations on board to take them. The social media part was actually part of my job, I was doing marketing. :lol

Cool. Did you end up getting another job on the back of that experience?

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Nov 11, '13, 7:22 pm

I haven't really been applying for anything, I was in hospital right off the back of leaving and since then I've basically been procrastinating, I'd imagine it'll be helpful even if I don't go after something in marketing, general office experience and something to fill out an otherwise empty CV.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 13, '13, 12:21 pm

Thanks for the words guys. Finished up my first two day week volunteering. Did admin, alot of data entry but shadowed in on a colleague doing interviews which I'm working towards.

My only annoyance is that I didn't bloody do this before as I might have had a job by now but what the hey..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Return to The Pub