It is currently: May 12, '24, 11:43 pm

Secret Family Recipes

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Secret Family Recipes

Postby HardcoreLegend » Jan 11, '15, 9:39 am

You always hear in movies and on tv of old family recipes that have been passed down generation to generation, but does anyone actually have any secret family recipes?

I had a great aunt who used to make ginger cake that I really enjoyed. Every time I would visit she would make some and every time she visited she would bring some. She wrote down the recipe for me on this old piece of paper when I was younger so it looks twice as old now. As far as I know I'm the only person she gave the recipe to so I guess in some way it is a secret family recipe. :lol

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 50

Re: Secret Family Recipes

Postby Everlong » Jan 11, '15, 10:34 am

My mom's chocolate chip cookies are well known in the southern suburbs of Milwaukee :P For real though, they are pretty great. She also have a special apple pie recipe that I have not ever seen. I don't think she even has it written down.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Jan 11, '15, 11:03 am

Basically the closest thing I can think of to compare it to would be my dad's mom at Christmas time used to sell Christmas cookies for some extra money and bake some for the family as well. She enlisted the help of her daughters and my mom to make more cookies and those recipes are passed along that way.

Other than that my dad's a great cook and he'll be passing down things like that I'm sure, but it's a little early for that.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Jan 11, '15, 1:22 pm

My Dad's rhubarb crumble is pretty legendary. That's going to last another generation or two for sure.

There are other dinner recipes that have been passed down too. My grandmother invented a pasta dish including tomato, sausage and bacon that was passed down to my Mum and then to me. Then there's a particular curry recipe that has circulated across the family also (think I shared that with some people here before as it's pretty basic).

I've started to get more into cooking and baking lately and have been writing down recipes in a hardback book when I really enjoy them. So maybe I'll be able to pass some of my own recipes in the future. The most recent addition was over Christmas - a Chocolate & Tia Maria cheesecake with Honeycomb. It was crazy good.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Return to The Pub