It is currently: Apr 24, '24, 7:46 pm

The Stressed Sleep

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

The Stressed Sleep

Postby Ali » Dec 15, '14, 6:53 am

No, this is not some new band/album/book/movie, even though the title would be cool for one.

Basically, Sleep Apnea sucks. I have to be on a machine at night to keep me breathing. And if it breaks, well, this is night 2 of no sleep for me, because of course, the people that handle this equipment close on weekends. Thank goodness for Starbucks Frappucinos.

Ever had a night where you just could not sleep?

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 43

Re: The Stressed Sleep

Postby Georgerv » Dec 15, '14, 6:57 am

I have pretty bad insomnia so I kinda know where you're coming from, it's not unusual for me to go 2-3 days without sleep at a time. Can be handy when it comes to writing essays and stuff, but mostly it just sucks

Georgerv Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 42

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 15, '14, 7:28 am

Is this Sleep Apena similiar to insomnia? Never heard of tbh.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 15, '14, 7:39 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Is this Sleep Apena similiar to insomnia? Never heard of tbh.

It means he has a lot of difficulty breathing when he sleeps, so he has a machine to help with that. I guess he either didn't want to sleep and end up being groggy all day or worse, depending on the severity.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Ali » Dec 15, '14, 7:45 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Is this Sleep Apena similiar to insomnia? Never heard of tbh.

It's where you literally stop breathing when asleep. Usually, it's because the airway becomes obstructed, the lungs simply aren't doing the work they should, or both. For me, it's both, because my left lung is pretty much collapsed due to scoliosis.

The machine essentially forces me to breathe regularly while asleep by pumping air in through a mask.

@SlightlyJames: It's an "or worse".

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topic Author
Topics: 43

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 15, '14, 1:48 pm

Ali wrote:

It's where you literally stop breathing when asleep. Usually, it's because the airway becomes obstructed, the lungs simply aren't doing the work they should, or both. For me, it's both, because my left lung is pretty much collapsed due to scoliosis.

The machine essentially forces me to breathe regularly while asleep by pumping air in through a mask.

@SlightlyJames: It's an "or worse".

Damn, don't know how you've shown patience if it has been a long-term problem. My old man had insomnia years ago, but luckily, it improved as he entered retirement.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Westcoastvibes » Dec 15, '14, 8:43 pm

Ali wrote:No, this is not some new band/album/book/movie, even though the title would be cool for one.

Basically, Sleep Apnea sucks. I have to be on a machine at night to keep me breathing. And if it breaks, well, this is night 2 of no sleep for me, because of course, the people that handle this equipment close on weekends. Thank goodness for Starbucks Frappucinos.

Ever had a night where you just could not sleep?

My wife is a sleep technician, the people who hook all the wires and shit to you and monitor your sleeping patterns prior to you getting that machine. Anyways, she said when you get the replacement machine to run the machine during the day for a couple hours with no background noises (tv, stereo, games ect..) and make a digital recording of the sound it makes. If/when the new machine faults, play the recorded track when attempting to sleep. She said many people get accustomed to the sound of the machine and associate it with falling asleep, the recording of the machine running should ease your tension and help you sleep if it happens again.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Return to The Pub