It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 6:03 pm

Raven Symone Tells Oprah “I’m an American, I’m Not an African-American"

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Raven Symone Tells Oprah “I’m an American, I’m Not an African-American"

Postby Viazon » Oct 08, '14, 4:31 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzgIenTg4G4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

What are your thoughts on this? I don't see what the big deal is. It seems like a lot of people are taking it way out of hand and saying that she no longer wants to be black, which is ridiculous. She has a point though. I don't really know how it is, but it certainly seems like that African-American is a term used in America to describe all black people, but not all black people are from Africa. And not to mention that there are also white people from Africa.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Re: Raven Symone Tells Oprah “I’m an American, I’m Not an African-American"

Postby PorkChop » Oct 08, '14, 4:49 pm

There's nothing wrong with her saying that. Anyone who's getting mad about it is a twat.

I also feel the term African-American shouldn't be used anymore. I have black friends who are called African-American and it pisses them off. They're neither African nor American, they're British. They may have African heritage, but we all do if you go back far enough.

That woman is a black American. A lot of my friends are black Brits. The prefix of 'African' shouldn't apply anymore, and neither should 'American', unless you're, y'know, American. It's pretty straightforward.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby Kirbi » Oct 08, '14, 4:51 pm

From what I've heard about this I don't get all the hoopla either.

It doesn't seem like she's trying to disown her skin colour, just that she doesn't identify with any African culture(s) on a personal level, but does identify with American culture.

This is the kind of thing that was bound to happen eventually, and doesn't strike me as a bad sign.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby Kyle » Oct 10, '14, 2:01 pm

I pretty much agree.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Return to The Pub