It is currently: May 11, '24, 11:01 am

Self service checkouts in supermarkets

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Self service checkouts in supermarkets

Postby Viazon » Sep 30, '14, 12:01 pm

Is anyone else absolutely amazed that some people can't comprehend how to work these machines? I mean, it's the easiest thing ever!

I stopped off at Tesco on my way home from work. (No, not to buy a chicken.) And the self service checkouts were full of idiots. I mean, these people were all like, "I don't know how to scan a barcode! I don't know how to read simple instructions on a screen! I don't know where to put my money, even though there's a big sign saying 'put money here'!"

Morons.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Re: Self service checkouts in supermarkets

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 30, '14, 12:05 pm

To be fair in my experience those machines tend to have problems quite often.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby HFX » Sep 30, '14, 12:13 pm

I wont' go anywhere near those machines. My brother and cousin do but I refuse to learn it. Every time I see someone use them there's always some type of issue. I'd much rather just get the cashier to do all my work for me. I mean it's why they are there after all.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby PorkChop » Sep 30, '14, 12:15 pm

Even when you know how to work it, the machine decides to fuck with you anyway :lol

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 30, '14, 1:53 pm

Ha, I'm one of those averse to self service check outs. Whenever I go food shopping, always make sure I'm going when the checkouts are still open but tbf, I did HAVE to use the self service when the checkouts were closed and it went smoothly. But the lingering memory of a self service is an OAP at Marks and Spencers having to help me out when something went haywire when I was using it. Safe to say, made my exit as quickly as possible.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby SortaCreative » Sep 30, '14, 1:58 pm

Viazon wrote:(No, not to buy a chicken.)

Don't lie.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Twister » Sep 30, '14, 1:59 pm

These machines were the BANE of my life when I worked on checkouts at Asda. It was either some of the incredibly stupid people we had coming into the store not being able to follow simple instructions or the machines themselves being unable to comprehend that THERE ARE NO UNEXPECTED ITEMS IN THE BAGGING AREA DAMMIT :banghead

They're a pain in the arse, although I find them easier to tolerate more as a customer rather than an employee, at least as a customer you're not expected to be able to pull yourself in 8 different directions when all the machines decide to go on the blink at the same time.

Last edited by Twister on Sep 30, '14, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Hanley! » Sep 30, '14, 3:54 pm

Yeah, I usually use the self service checkouts when I can, but I'm not sure why. I guess it just seems more convenient, but half the time something goes terribly wrong and it ends up being more trouble than its worth. Usually the problem is that the machine thinks I haven't put my scanned through item on the scales, even though I have, so it won't let me put through anything else.

Machines are dumb. Dumb people and dumb machines don't make a good combination.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 30, '14, 4:37 pm

The good thing as others have mentioned, at least here anyway, is that the self checkout's are quite often empty of people or have short lines because people are scared of them. So if you want to take your chances, it can be a quick way to get out.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Kein » Sep 30, '14, 4:51 pm

I only use the self check-out if I have a couple of items. If I have a lot I let cashiers do their work because they are faster than me.

The machines used to piss me off, but like all machines when you learn how to use it and know their quirks it's no problem. Know when to scan, know when to put items in the bag (especially since they are weight controlled) and know to click what buttons and how to pay. I feel like I am doing things step by step process, but if you go faster than the machine wants that's when things get stupid.

I like them. They save me time.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Westcoastvibes » Sep 30, '14, 10:29 pm

I use them all the time, the two main issues are with the scale. They either think something has been put there without being scanned (9 out of 10 times it's my son's hand) or they tell me to put the item on the scale after I put the item on the scale and it locks the hole thing from working until I find the heaviest thing on the scale and slam it around a couple times.

I found that cursing at them and publicly diminishing there intelligence seems to help when they act up also.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby UTK » Oct 01, '14, 9:30 am

UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA UNEXPECTED ITEM IN

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Chewy » Oct 03, '14, 4:15 am

Wait til you get old and everything confuses you.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Kein » Oct 03, '14, 9:45 am

I'm never gonna grow up, I'm gonna be young forever.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Return to The Pub