It is currently: May 21, '24, 2:45 am

Work rant

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Work rant

Postby Viazon » Sep 25, '14, 2:38 pm

Now, before I type any of this, I wanna say that I usually try to be as careful as I can when typing and not make any mistakes. Yet, no matter how well I think I have done, I usually end up finding at least one mistake. I'm gonna go on a little rant here and I doubt I will double check for any mistakes, so I apologize in advance if any of this is illegible. You may have no idea what I will be talking about at times but I feel like unloading.

So work has been a nightmare lately. I thought I had finally found a job I enjoy and actually don't mind doing everyday. It may not be perfect or ideal but it's something that I could see myself doing for a long time. But for the first time since I started there, I have really been dreading going to work. There are a lot of big changes going on right now and everything is just fucked up. There are actually two warehouses in my town and in order to save money, they are merging them both into one. Apparently doing so will save the company £100,000 a month. The thing is, there is just not enough room. You're talking about stock and staff big enough for warehouses being squashed into one. It's not gonna work. The managers seem to think it's going be fine, but I don't see it working. As the change is happening, everything is just hectic. The other warehouse is mainly used for transport, so they are knocking down a shitload of racking the make room for it. However, the other warehouse still has two other contracts it picks and they need locations to pick from. But if they are knocking down the racking to make room for transport, where are they going to put the stock for those contracts? Some of the staff members from the other warehouse have made their way over to pick their contract and it is already crowded. They are working in our department with us and they are taking too much room. And there is this one dude who came from the other warehouse who is not working with us who thinks he is the big cheese. Walks around like he runs the joint. He's one of these guys who you can tell is a twat just by looking at his face. He only came over this week and acts like he has been there for years. And the way he talks to me, like I'm some kind of chump. It's as if he thinks I an a new starter. And he keeps telling me how to do things, like I don't already know how to do them. Worse thing is, he is nothing to do with me. He picks a completely different contract but just happens to work in the same area. What's worse is all the new people coming over to our area and trying to change the station on the radio. That's our radio. Everyone in my department put the money together because we wanted to listen to music while we work. These fuckers keep changing to station and we keep changing it back, telling them they have no right to decide what gets played. I don't care if they don't like the music. I want to listen to Planet Rock, not KISS. These fuckers, especially that douche I was telling you about, need to learn that this is our house. They are guests here. And also, these fuckers who have been hired to come in and dismantle the racking. They leave their shit everywhere, blocking the aisles and stopping me from doing my work. What's worse, they keep leaving heavy pieces of racking of top of inventory, squashing the boxes. This is stuff we need to send out to our customers. I keep reporting it to the manager but nothing gets done about it. And during these ongoing changes, nothing is where it is suppose to be. I go to a location in the warehouse to pick an order and the stuff isn't there. Usually, that means there is a replen, but when I check the system, the computer says it's supposed to be there. But it's not. Which means it's on the other side of the fucking warehouse, where it's not supposed to be. So I'm walking around for ages like a dick, looking for something that should be in its designated location. And there are so many replens. How can I finish an order if said order still has replens? I can't. But there are so many. There used to be a good system. Before an order even gets waved and someone begins to pick it, all of the replens should be done. But not anymore. Now, we start an order and we can't finish it, which leaves to a bunch of unfinished orders all over the place, taking up more space. And some orders aren't even waved yet on the day they are supposed to be picked. Every order has a date on it and it has to be completed by that date. Tonight, we still had orders for the 25th not even waved. That's pathetic. We never had this problem before. We used to have no issues completing all the orders for the day. Now, we have failed every day this week. That's not good. You fail orders and the customer gets unhappy. That's how we lose contracts. They may be saving money by closing down the other warehouse but if they keep failing orders, they will lose contracts and lose more money in the process. And through all of this, they have giving two new starters to shadow me and the worse possible time. We all that's going on, it's too much the take in for them. It doesn't help that they are both complete fucking idiots. I mean, they can't remember a simple task. This job really isn't all that hard. If I can do it, any idiot can. It really isn't difficult. I need my old partner back. On the contract I pick, there was only me and one other guy. We were the only two who picked it and things were going great. We both did the job well and knew what we were doing. However, he has now left and they have been trying to find a replacement. Two people so far have come and left in the last two months. Now I have these two idiots. I just need a capable guy I can work with and I can trust to do the job just as well as I can. The contract I work on is a little bit different from other ones in the warehouse and most people just can't handle it. It's not more difficult. Just different. But people just don't seem to get it. I picked it up in one day. These guys have been here for two weeks now and even my team leader thinks they are idiots. This whole last month has been a hassle but this last week has been especially bad.

I liked to think that once everything has settled down and the merge has been completed, it will get back to how it was and everything will be running smoothly. However, I have my doubts.

I'm sure no one read all of that, but just wanted to let it all out.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Re: Work rant

Postby Twister » Sep 25, '14, 2:49 pm

Dude.. massive wall of text!

Anyway I managed to get through it all, sounds like things are a bit shitty for you atm, I know how it feels to dread going into work so I totally get where you're coming from there. Hopefully the things you mention are just initial teething problems and once everything's settled down it will get easier. Fingers crossed for you anyway. In the mean time, have a beer :chug3

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 56

Postby SortaCreative » Sep 25, '14, 2:51 pm

Please break up the wall of text because it broke up my screen.

tldr

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Viazon » Sep 25, '14, 2:57 pm

No deal. The rant stays in tact.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Sep 25, '14, 2:59 pm

PORKY THE GOAT MOD DELIVERS

Viazon wrote:So work has been a nightmare lately. I thought I had finally found a job I enjoy and actually don't mind doing everyday. It may not be perfect or ideal but it's something that I could see myself doing for a long time. But for the first time since I started there, I have really been dreading going to work. There are a lot of big changes going on right now and everything is just fucked up.

There are actually two warehouses in my town and in order to save money, they are merging them both into one. Apparently doing so will save the company £100,000 a month. The thing is, there is just not enough room. You're talking about stock and staff big enough for warehouses being squashed into one. It's not gonna work. The managers seem to think it's going be fine, but I don't see it working. As the change is happening, everything is just hectic. The other warehouse is mainly used for transport, so they are knocking down a shitload of racking the make room for it. However, the other warehouse still has two other contracts it picks and they need locations to pick from. But if they are knocking down the racking to make room for transport, where are they going to put the stock for those contracts?

Some of the staff members from the other warehouse have made their way over to pick their contract and it is already crowded. They are working in our department with us and they are taking too much room. And there is this one dude who came from the other warehouse who is not working with us who thinks he is the big cheese. Walks around like he runs the joint. He's one of these guys who you can tell is a twat just by looking at his face. He only came over this week and acts like he has been there for years. And the way he talks to me, like I'm some kind of chump. It's as if he thinks I an a new starter. And he keeps telling me how to do things, like I don't already know how to do them. Worse thing is, he is nothing to do with me. He picks a completely different contract but just happens to work in the same area.

What's worse is all the new people coming over to our area and trying to change the station on the radio. That's our radio. Everyone in my department put the money together because we wanted to listen to music while we work. These fuckers keep changing to station and we keep changing it back, telling them they have no right to decide what gets played. I don't care if they don't like the music. I want to listen to Planet Rock, not KISS. These fuckers, especially that douche I was telling you about, need to learn that this is our house. They are guests here. And also, these fuckers who have been hired to come in and dismantle the racking. They leave their shit everywhere, blocking the aisles and stopping me from doing my work. What's worse, they keep leaving heavy pieces of racking of top of inventory, squashing the boxes. This is stuff we need to send out to our customers. I keep reporting it to the manager but nothing gets done about it.

And during these ongoing changes, nothing is where it is suppose to be. I go to a location in the warehouse to pick an order and the stuff isn't there. Usually, that means there is a replen, but when I check the system, the computer says it's supposed to be there. But it's not. Which means it's on the other side of the fucking warehouse, where it's not supposed to be. So I'm walking around for ages like a dick, looking for something that should be in its designated location. And there are so many replens. How can I finish an order if said order still has replens? I can't. But there are so many. There used to be a good system. Before an order even gets waved and someone begins to pick it, all of the replens should be done. But not anymore.

Now, we start an order and we can't finish it, which leaves to a bunch of unfinished orders all over the place, taking up more space. And some orders aren't even waved yet on the day they are supposed to be picked. Every order has a date on it and it has to be completed by that date. Tonight, we still had orders for the 25th not even waved. That's pathetic. We never had this problem before. We used to have no issues completing all the orders for the day. Now, we have failed every day this week. That's not good. You fail orders and the customer gets unhappy. That's how we lose contracts. They may be saving money by closing down the other warehouse but if they keep failing orders, they will lose contracts and lose more money in the process.

And through all of this, they have giving two new starters to shadow me and the worse possible time. We all that's going on, it's too much the take in for them. It doesn't help that they are both complete fucking idiots. I mean, they can't remember a simple task. This job really isn't all that hard. If I can do it, any idiot can. It really isn't difficult. I need my old partner back. On the contract I pick, there was only me and one other guy. We were the only two who picked it and things were going great. We both did the job well and knew what we were doing. However, he has now left and they have been trying to find a replacement.

Two people so far have come and left in the last two months. Now I have these two idiots. I just need a capable guy I can work with and I can trust to do the job just as well as I can. The contract I work on is a little bit different from other ones in the warehouse and most people just can't handle it. It's not more difficult. Just different. But people just don't seem to get it. I picked it up in one day. These guys have been here for two weeks now and even my team leader thinks they are idiots. This whole last month has been a hassle but this last week has been especially bad.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby UTK » Sep 25, '14, 3:09 pm

^ Yeah, but you didn't make a Tl;DR. I can't sacrifice my laziness just to be mad along with Viazon.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 25, '14, 3:39 pm

I know the feeling dude of hating going into work - it's an awful feeling.

You seem to be doing the right things, which primarily, is turning up and trying to do the job to the best of your ability despite the obstacles (literally it seems at times) in your way. Keep reporting things to your manager because if shit carries on and someone gets hurt, he can't turn around and say no-one told me about it.

Hopefully these new guys get their shit in order and stop being dicks but don't be afraid to be firm if they keep on fucking up. Might give them the wake up call they need.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Viazon » Sep 25, '14, 3:44 pm

I just wanna say I appreciate anyone who actually read this whole thing! Didn't think anyone would.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Sep 25, '14, 5:54 pm

Sounds like a shitty situation, man. Probably not one that can be avoided though.

I know the feeling of being with a company where massive changes are being made because of financial worries, and it's going to get hectic and you're going to be asked to do more than you should reasonably have to do. Invariably there will be confusion for a period and there will definitely be stuff that falls behind schedule - that doesn't surprise me at all. What I can say is that you'll probably fall into a rhythm sooner or later and what you're feeling now won't last forever.

The "us versus them" mentality will wear off after a while too. I mean it's pretty natural for you to resent these new guys for coming in and changing things when you liked it the way things were, but remember that this is a big change for them too and they probably don't like it any better than you do. You'll likely all get on pretty well once things settle down a bit.

Except for that one asshole. I'm not saying you'll end up getting on with him. But likely you'll find out that everyone in the other warehouse hated him too and you can all take the piss out of him over beers on Friday evening.

Hope it all works itself out soon, man. But if it doesn't, have no fear: the weekend is almost upon us! :tim

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Viazon » Sep 25, '14, 6:18 pm

What makes it worse is my best friend at work has the day off tomorrow. Chatting to her all day is the only thing that's been keeping me sane and she won't even be in! Selfish bitch. But anyway, at least it's only one day till the weekend.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Kein » Sep 25, '14, 11:12 pm

We had a warehouse that worked for us much like yours did. It closed down and we ended up taking our own warehouse and most of the staff from that one and the situation sounds almost identical to yours.

I don't understand how the warehouse didn't tell us it was going to go out, how our company didn't order extra parts in advance for the down-time the move was going to have, and how much of a detriment it would have on our schedule. I ended up having to go to the warehouse myself and grabbing parts for a week for my line because they couldn't deliver in a timely manner.

I understand companies want the least amount of downtime and want to work while moving is happening but something like this is simply unprofessional. When my company moved our production line to another building, it was obvious we would have 3 days minimum of downtime, I don't get why others can't grasp this.

Sorry to hear about your situation though, but the shit storm will blow over when things get situated, then it's just going to be the worker dynamic rather than both issues.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Chewy » Sep 26, '14, 3:27 am

Not reading all that shit dude.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Viazon » Sep 26, '14, 3:55 am

Chewy wrote:Not reading all that shit dude.

Don't expect you to.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Sep 27, '14, 12:10 am

Viazon wrote:
Chewy wrote:Not reading all that shit dude.

Don't expect you to.

Not reading that either.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Viazon » Sep 30, '14, 12:17 pm

So, it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better.

To make room for all of the extra work and staff that have come over to our warehouse, they have placed them where we need to be and move our work station area at the other end of the warehouse. The only problem is we are now working wear the fire exit walkway is. There is a walkway that leads all around the warehouse that is only to be used in an emergency in order to get to the fire exits quicker. This path is now blocked my pallets, trucks and computer desks. A complete disregard for safety. Yet, they are still on our case to wear our protective bump caps when working down the aisles. Apparently, bumping your head is a concern but getting out of the building in case of a fire is not. I would rather bump my head than get burned alive.

I'm almost tempted to make an anonymous call to the fire department and reporting it. At least that would force them to change it.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Twister » Sep 30, '14, 1:25 pm

That's terrible! And I'm pretty sure it's illegal too. Just done a quick google and this link may be helpful if you want to report it to the relevant authorities, not had chance to have a proper look at the link but hopefully it will be of some help:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/concerns.htm

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Return to The Pub