It is currently: Jun 15, '24, 3:36 pm

What's something that you can be an elitist about?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

What's something that you can be an elitist about?

Postby Everlong » Jun 29, '14, 12:37 pm

For some people it's music, for others it's movie and television. For me it's probably beer. While I'll never go to the point of judging people for what they like to drink, I definitely will be a bit of a beer snob about the things that I choose to drink. After several years now of drinking exclusively craft beers, it's hard for me to even consider going back to drinking a watered down macro.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: What's something that you can be an elitist about?

Postby SKS » Jun 29, '14, 12:38 pm

Being a douche nozzle :D

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 266

Postby Kein » Jun 29, '14, 12:57 pm

Everlong wrote:For some people it's music, for others it's movie and television. For me it's probably beer.
How fitting of you on pubtalkforum.

I don't like being a snob but I admit I am a bit of a sushi snob. I keep it tucked under the covers pretty much always but inside I always cringe when I hear people say "this is the best sushi around" or that they love sushi and all they eat are sauce covered california rolls.

Most people drown their sushi in soy sauce
Most people don't know what real Wasabi is
Most people don't like sashimi
Most people don't know why ginger comes with the sushi

I don't say anything because American culture of sushi is vastly different and still evolving when it comes to sushi, but when people act like they know all about this stuff I just smile.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Everlong » Jun 29, '14, 1:01 pm

^I just had sushi for the first time a couple weeks ago! Somehow I'd gone 26 years of life without experiencing it. Milwaukee has this thing called Downtown Dining Week every year, and lots of restaurants downtown put together these amazing specials. So my girlfriend and I got these big ol sampler platters (she knew what she was ordering, I did not) and I just tried it all.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference between sushi and sashimi is as I'm a total noob, but I'm pretty sure I went the whole hog with these. I had the California rolls, other types of rolls, the pieces of raw fish on rice cake things... it wasn't really my kinda thing, but I'm glad I tried it at least.

This is from that day:

Spoiler:

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Kein » Jun 29, '14, 1:26 pm

Sushi is not for everyone, but that's cool you got to try it finally! Simply by looks I cannot judge the quality of your tuna, but I can say the quality of sushi varies immensely from place to place. So if you are out traveling, or even in another restaurant, I would suggest giving it a couple more tries (good thing about sushi is all of it can be ordered by the piece or in pairs).

Sounds like you did get a good variety. Sashimi, would be a similar style to what you have there, except instead of each piece on top of its own bit of rice, it would be a couple slices of fish just on a bed of rice as a whole. People may eat the fish by itself, or with the rice.

Also, if you do give sushi another try, I suggest a couple of the following in order:
Unagi (fresh water eel)
Sake (salmon)(most people like the seared salmon over just salmon)
Ebi (cooked shrimp)
Saba (mackerel)

These are the ones most uninitiated enjoy right off the bat. Tuna is good, but you have to have the taste for it. These ones listed have a bit more flavor.

Sorry for turning this into a sushi thread.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby Everlong » Jun 29, '14, 2:30 pm

^I think the Salmon and the Shrimp were included in teh platter we have, but definitely not the eel and I'm not sure about the mackerel. Unsurprisingly I liked the shrimp the most. I liked the rolls most of all, probably because they were the most noob friendly.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby CavingSiberian » Jul 01, '14, 7:34 pm

I LOVE Sashimi. Mmmmmm

I'm crazy about cheese. I LOVE cheese. Cheddar, gouda, edam... there is this place in Seattle that makes this "No Woman" Cheese with Jamaican seasoning. MmmmMMMmmmMMmm. I've been known to make sandwiches with no bread- just thick slices of cheese as the "bread". LOL.

I'm also a connoisseur of the color blue. There are certain wavelengths are particularly wonderful and put me in just the right mood. When I eat M&Ms I purposely eat the blue ones last just so I can look at them the longest. I buy things because they are blue and some things I won't buy unless they are blue. I have a blue toaster...a blue coffee maker....being a geologist I have a collection of blue minerals....*cue Eiffel 65 hit song*.

Ok, so maybe it is just my OCD...but....so what.

CavingSiberian Female
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 8

Postby Everlong » Jul 01, '14, 9:11 pm

CavingSiberian wrote:I'm crazy about cheese. I LOVE cheese.

You'd fit in well here in Wisconsin :tim

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby War Daddy » Jul 02, '14, 7:22 am

In before "my dick" jokes.

I can get pretty shitty with people who calim to "eat clean" or are "gluten-free". Like seriously, fuck those people. :lol

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby prophet » Jul 02, '14, 7:53 am

Nothing really. Football, I guess?

Specifically lower league football I suppose, though that really only applies to this place as we don't have too many people here that support lower league football teams.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Jul 02, '14, 8:50 am

prophet wrote:Nothing really. Football, I guess?

Specifically lower league football I suppose, though that really only applies to this place as we don't have too many people here that support lower league football teams.

Give it a few years and I'll be a supporter of a lower league football team.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Daz » Jul 02, '14, 9:27 am

PorkChop wrote:
prophet wrote:Nothing really. Football, I guess?

Give it a few years and I'll be a supporter of a lower league football team.

Join us.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby ShaneOfan » Jul 02, '14, 4:16 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:In before "my dick" jokes.

But my dick plays on a double feature scree. Your dick went straight to dvd.

Probably books. Especially how few people actually read anything. Whats worse is the people that brag about not reading. Why the hell would you want to show off the fact that you choose to be ignorant. There are WAY to many genres both fictional and non for you to tell me you couldn't find anything you would enjoy.

But even at that I tend to judge people who DO read on what they read.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jul 02, '14, 7:39 pm

CavingSiberian wrote:I'm crazy about cheese. I LOVE cheese

have you tried Butterkaus?

god I love that shit, I love most cheese and put it on everything. My most goto would be chedder jack or colby just because its the most common available for meals and my wife will eat it, the other shit I get funny looks from my wife cause I will just grab a chunk of cheese from the fridge and start eating it by itself. :lol

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Jul 02, '14, 9:10 pm

Fashion for sure.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby CavingSiberian » Jul 03, '14, 10:17 pm

Westcoastvibes wrote:have you tried Butterkaus?
god I love that shit, I love most cheese and put it on everything. My most goto would be chedder jack or colby just because its the most common available for meals and my wife will eat it, the other shit I get funny looks from my wife cause I will just grab a chunk of cheese from the fridge and start eating it by itself. :lol

I've had butterkase. It was alright. really smooth. Not strong enough for me, I like sharp cheeses. There is this cheese from Australia that is wonderful. And I do the same thing, I will literally grab a chunk of cheese and just eat it. Cheese can be a meal alone in my opinion. When I cook spaghetti noodles I don't put sauce on them... I sprinkle on some sharp cheddar... Yes... noodles and melted cheddar...that's it... I'm weird...

CavingSiberian Female
Jobber
Jobber

Postby SortaCreative » Jul 03, '14, 10:28 pm

CavingSiberian wrote:Yes... noodles and melted cheddar...that's it... I'm weird...

:o

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jul 03, '14, 11:25 pm

CavingSiberian wrote:
Westcoastvibes wrote:have you tried Butterkaus?

I've had butterkase. It was alright. really smooth. Not strong enough for me, I like sharp cheeses. There is this cheese from Australia that is wonderful. And I do the same thing, I will literally grab a chunk of cheese and just eat it. Cheese can be a meal alone in my opinion. When I cook spaghetti noodles I don't put sauce on them... I sprinkle on some sharp cheddar... Yes... noodles and melted cheddar...that's it... I'm weird...

Haha, my wife thinks I am crazy because I will cook a box of craft mac-n-cheese then mix in 1/2 lb of shredded sharp Cheddar just to make it cheesier

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Kein » Jul 03, '14, 11:56 pm

The power of cheese. There is a cheese place about 5 minutes from where I live called Cheesmongers table, they do grilled cheese sandwiches and a bunch of other cheesy meals, but they have a pretty good selection of cheeses just hanging out and they let you sample and try stuff as well. I live about 20 minutes north of Seattle, so next time you are around you can try this place too.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby CavingSiberian » Jul 04, '14, 7:23 am

Kein wrote:The power of cheese. There is a cheese place about 5 minutes from where I live called Cheesmongers table, they do grilled cheese sandwiches and a bunch of other cheesy meals, but they have a pretty good selection of cheeses just hanging out and they let you sample and try stuff as well. I live about 20 minutes north of Seattle, so next time you are around you can try this place too.

YUM! Have you ever been to Beecher's cheese in Pike Place? It's sooo yummmy.

CavingSiberian Female
Jobber
Jobber

Next

Return to The Pub