It is currently: May 04, '24, 8:08 pm

What do you think of large family gatherings?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

What do you think of large family gatherings?

Postby Matteo » Oct 25, '13, 7:00 pm

You know, every few months or maybe twice a year a large portion of the family get together, whether it be for an occasion or random get together. How do you find them? I guess it sort of depends on your relationship with these people, too.

I actually hate it. :lol Call me empty, but it's a pain in the ass to see distant relatives for the first time in x amount of months and you spend nearly the whole day either talking about yourself or listening to them talking about themselves. Thing is, I'm hardly interested, and you mostly waste a day doing it.

How about you?

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 195

Re: What do you think of large family gatherings?

Postby Viazon » Oct 25, '13, 7:25 pm

As long as there is BBQ and beer then I don't give a shit.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby Kyle » Oct 25, '13, 9:02 pm

It's okay, but tiring.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby Chewy » Oct 26, '13, 6:27 am

As long as its not with my family I don't really mind.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 26, '13, 6:29 am

Our gatherings are all usually pretty small and enjoyable enough, I could imagine hating what you're describing though.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby ShaneOfan » Oct 26, '13, 7:46 am

I don't mind getting together with my sisters and grandparents. Or seeing my cousins at times but much more than that it gets too big. I don't like the ones where my step dad's cousins and their extended family and Great Aunt Gretrude are there. Than it becomes to big.

Basically I treat it like my high school reunion. I don't mind gatherings with people I see a lot but if I haven't seen/talked to you in five years. There is probably a reason.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Everlong » Oct 26, '13, 9:33 am

They hardly ever happen for me, because all my cousins and aunts and uncles live spread out across the states. Even my brother and sisters all live pretty far away now. The only time I ever see everyone from my immediate family is Thanksgiving, and that' s probably my favorite holiday of the year.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Ali » Oct 26, '13, 10:44 am

I am not a fan, because all of my direct family lives overseas. So what I get are all the Extended Family. Now, I like some of them, and if it's only two or three people, I'm cool with it. But when that number gets above six, and it has been as many as twenty, I start to go a little nuts. First of all, there is barely anyone around my age that I can identify with, so I usually end up feeling alienated because I have nothing to discuss, but they all come to talk to me simply because I'm the "special person in the wheelchair". Second, because I'm a fan of video games and movies, they think they can stick the young kids with me, but I can't stand them. All the girls are quiet, polite, and very well-behaved, but all the boys are entitled little s*its who are given everything they demand! Me and my parents have put our foot down on this, but they're still annoying. But the worst part is that apparently these people have never heard of a hotel, so when it's 10-20 people staying for up to a week, they're all crowding the house. And for me, who needs my personal space to stay somewhat sane, this is a bad thing.

One time, a few years back, we had one of these gatherings with 20 people. I was going through a bad space, college was getting increasingly frustrating, everything was piling up, I was seeing a psychiatrist because I had recently been diagnosed with depression, and then this. I really needed some time alone, I needed space to myself, but no, everyone has to be here and be loud. So I get someone to give me my iPod and headphones, and go to another part of the house to just chill out with my music, but no! People find me, ask me why I'm not with everyone, what's wrong. I tell them I want to be left alone, they don't seem to get it and keep coming. Eventually, I just snap, so I go out to where they're all eating, and I just start yelling at them, culminating with a giant, "GET THE F*CK OUT OF MY HOUSE!"

It's funny how when you have a psychotic break and let people see just how stressed and crazy you actually are, people start cooperating with you. They have not stopped apologizing to me since. We still have big gatherings occasionally, and my life has considerably mellowed out, but now they're a bit more aware of my... "personality". We just say hi, talk a bit, and that's it. People now know that if I want to talk, I'll come to you. Otherwise, just let me have some space.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby Settee » Oct 26, '13, 11:50 am

I don't really mind them, there is always lots of good food so I can't complain.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 49

Postby UTK » Oct 26, '13, 12:53 pm

They're only good if there's a large amount of good food.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby iMike » Oct 26, '13, 1:10 pm

I actually don't mind but we have a big family so having everyone in one house is pretty hectic. Also all the adults are drunk so it's pretty funny to watch. :lol The food is always delicious though.

iMike Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 15

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 26, '13, 2:04 pm

Ali wrote: Second, because I'm a fan of video games and movies, they think they can stick the young kids with me, but I can't stand them.

I sympathise on this. As a kid, who happened to have a console, if there were some kids who were my age or slightly younger, others would nudge them to me to go upstairs and let them play on my console. Most of the time, I'd spend all of that time showing them how to play the game rather than actually playing. I wouldn't have minded if they were good but meh.

On gatherings, just immediate family is fine. When it comes to extended, I'd rather be anywhere but there. Too many people looking down their nose at you for what you haven't done yet.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Oct 26, '13, 5:38 pm

Chewy wrote:As long as its not with my family I don't really mind.

This. Several members of my family are unfortunately twats. When the last ones kick the bucket, I'm changing my name.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Twister » Oct 27, '13, 1:02 pm

Our family gatherings usually consist of uncles, aunts, cousins and grandparents so I usually find them quite enjoyable.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby War Daddy » Oct 27, '13, 4:07 pm

I'm Italian so the family gathering is a must. :lol Only problem is, I'll goto leave but spend an extra 45 minutes saying goodbye to people.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby HFX » Oct 28, '13, 2:15 pm

If they are like once or twice a year it's alright. I hate crowds and I hate talking to most people so they aren't that fun for me but it ain't the end of the world. There are some family members I do enjoy and there is usually good food and free beer so i mean can I really complain. Recently they have become more common though as more and more of my family members are moving to Edmonton. Before hand they were more spread out across the Western provinces so it was more a rare special thing every couple of years. I guess I'm lucky in this world in that though we may not be the most well off, my family is still pretty solid and there for you.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Return to The Pub