It is currently: Jun 22, '24, 8:27 pm

What's a food item that is unique to/known for where you're from?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

What's a food item that is unique to/known for where you're from?

Postby Everlong » May 30, '14, 11:36 am

Here are a few for me:

WISCONSIN/MILWAUKEE

-Fried cheese curds. Cheese curds and cheese in general are a very Wisconsin thing, but it doesn't get more Wisconsin than fried cheese curds.

-Usinger's sausage. Milwaukee is the bratwurst capital of America, and part of that is Usinger's. Great sausages.

-Beer. Everyone knows Miller, Pabst, Blatz, Schlitz, Milwaukee's Best, Old Milwaukee. All those are shit though compared to Lakefront, Milwaukee Brewing Company, Leinenkugel's, Central Waters, Sprecher, etc.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: What's a food item that is unique to/known for where you're from?

Postby prophet » May 30, '14, 11:41 am

Scollops.

:jimross

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Twister » May 30, '14, 11:47 am

prophet wrote:Scollops.

:jimross

You beat me to it dammit.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby The Legend » May 30, '14, 12:10 pm

Leinenkugel's is awesome by the way.

As for Northeast Ohio food: Great Lakes Christmas Ale,

Polish Boy's - delicious sandwiches
The Original Stadium Mustard
Corn on the Cob
Pierogis

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby The Legend » May 30, '14, 12:11 pm

Also, from an outsider's point of view - Johnsonville sausages are much better than Usinger's

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » May 30, '14, 12:15 pm

The Legend wrote:Also, from an outsider's point of view - Johnsonville sausages are much better than Usinger's

Well those are also from Wisconsin :P

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » May 30, '14, 12:35 pm

Everlong wrote:
The Legend wrote:Also, from an outsider's point of view - Johnsonville sausages are much better than Usinger's

Well those are also from Wisconsin :P

I know they are, I was just saying, you know man.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » May 30, '14, 12:57 pm

Deep fried Mars Bars I guess. :facepalm

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Westcoastvibes » May 30, '14, 12:58 pm

Not many know this but southern Arizona produces a large majority of the united states pecans and pistachios. We also produce a shitload of lettuce and onions

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Locke » May 30, '14, 1:13 pm

Uh, I don't know of any unique foods.. does anyone know what Morel mushrooms are? They grow around here once a year, usually the middle of April to early May. People go apeshit hunting them and some even spend up to 35 dollars a pound for them (about 1 gallon ziplock bag full of them). Honestly I think they're disgusting, but I don't like any mushrooms. To me they taste like whatever you fry or batter them with. You could batter a post-it note and it'd taste the same IMHO. Anyhoo. That's a Missouri thing, I think.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby CavingSiberian » May 31, '14, 8:52 am

Everlong wrote:Here are a few for me:

WISCONSIN/MILWAUKEE

-Fried cheese curds. Cheese curds and cheese in general are a very Wisconsin thing, but it doesn't get more Wisconsin than fried cheese curds.

-Beer. Everyone knows Miller, Pabst, Blatz, Schlitz, Milwaukee's Best, Old Milwaukee. All those are shit though compared to Lakefront, Milwaukee Brewing Company, Leinenkugel's, Central Waters, Sprecher, etc.

You forgot to mention spotted cow! ;) Oh, and they have fried cheese curds at Buffalo Wild Wings. Love them!

The SOUTH (Mississippi)

-Crawfish. It is big here

-Boiled Peanuts. I don't really like them but it is a big thing...

-Boudin- Basically a meat/rice product that is like a sausage link. Pretty good actually..

CavingSiberian Female
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 8

Postby CavingSiberian » May 31, '14, 9:01 am

Rob, for Missouri you could have mentioned Kansas City style BBQ. In all m travels I have discovered that each region has a different kind of BBQ. Memphis is sweeter... Alabama does this white BBQ sauce that is primarily mayo. Ewww..

When I went to visit my friends in Canada I had some poutine. Of course! You have to. (They do reference it in the movie Super Troopers). It is a dish of french fries covered in brown gravy and cheese. Mmmmm

I've had alligator in the South. Forgot to mention that.

Oh, everytime I go to New Orleans I can't leave without having some beignets. Cafe Du Monde!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Colorado has this green chili. People make fun of it, I actually love it. I get it everytime I am in Colorado.

The first time I had lobster was in Maine. I thought it was fitting. :)

The North West has AMAZING Pinot Noir wines. Love the Northwest. I want to live there someday....

In the West in general (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, etc) you can get bison burgers. I love those big furry cows.

I think a whole other thread could be the types of beer that vary from region to region. I made a point to try beer from every state I was in while on my Summer 2011 trip (39 states & Canada). It was interesting~

CavingSiberian Female
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 8

Postby Locke » May 31, '14, 9:23 am

^I forgot Kansas City has different (and famous) BBQ.. I never get to travel. :lol
From what I hear, though, Missouri's BBQ absolutely fucking destroys the rest of the country's idea of "BBQ," and I hear that whether it's on TV or from people visiting our state. Just so happens I can do it better than the restaurants, too (not that that's hard). :D

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby ShaneOfan » May 31, '14, 11:34 am

While not Lancaster per say we have Philly Cheese steaks. REAL ones. We are only an hour out or so, so we get the real deal. Also we have Yuengling Lager which is great.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby HardcoreLegend » May 31, '14, 11:50 am

Newcastle. Brown Ale... But it's not longer made in Newcastle.

I also think a thing called pease pudding originate in my area. If I'm honest, I haven't got a clue what it actually is. Google it.

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 50

Postby The Legend » May 31, '14, 1:31 pm

Apparently, Pease pudding is essentially a different form of hummus.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » May 31, '14, 2:08 pm

Colman's Mustard is the only thing that springs to mind.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby KaiserGlider » May 31, '14, 2:37 pm

I don't know what the fuck is unique to San Diego, so I'm gonna go with Bulgarian food here.

Kebapcheta. Kinda like meatballs but longer.

Banitsa. A sort of a bread, with cheese in it. My grandma makes it so good.

Lukanka. A salami unique to Bulgarian cuisine.

Bulgarian bean soup. A traditional Christmas eve meal.

Shopska Salad. Cheese on top with tomatoes and cucumbers on the bottom.

Mmmm yeah. I'm fucking hungry now.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Daz » May 31, '14, 3:01 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:Banitsa. A sort of a bread, with cheese in it. My grandma makes it so good.

I must try this at once. Looks bloody delicious.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby PorkChop » May 31, '14, 3:42 pm

Daz wrote:Colman's Mustard is the only thing that springs to mind.

Cigar cutters are actually from Norwich - the local folk used them for cutting off their six fingers.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Next

Return to The Pub