It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 12:17 am

So I got annoyed with Facebook for the first time yesterday.

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

So I got annoyed with Facebook for the first time yesterday.

Postby Viazon » May 29, '14, 11:00 am

I know a lot of people have issues with Facebook. For reference, see anything @Porkchop has to say about it. But I have never minded it. I still use. Not as annoyingly as some people do, but mainly just to chat to people. More so than my laptop, I am usually chatting to people through Facebook on my phone.

Now the one thing I never wanted to do was give Facebook my number. They always ask for it but I never have. I just don't want them to have it. I don't know why they would need it.

Anyway, lately, whenever I have gone to chat to someone on Facebook chat on my phone, it has asked me to download the Facebook messenger app which is a separate app from the actual Facebook one. I was about to but on the app store, it has 1.5 stars out of 5 based on nearly 2000 reviews. Everyone is basically calling it shit, so I decided against it. At first it gave you a choice. Then, all of a sudden, you had to download it if you wanna to chat to someone through Facebook on your phone. So I did.

However, once I downloaded it, you couldn't activate it or use it until you typed in your mobile number. Now, they claim that this is only a way to chat to other people who you aren't friends with, as long as they have the same app. But I think this was just a way to get peoples numbers. I mean, why would I need to chat to people I'm not friends with. How would I even know to chat to them? I don't know them. What Facebook have essentially done is make their own Whats App.

I really don't know why Facebook wants everyones numbers so much.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Re: So I got annoyed with Facebook for the first time yesterday.

Postby PorkChop » May 29, '14, 11:04 am

You left out the latest Facebook facepalm though - they want to access your phone's microphone and listen in on what you're doing. http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill ... ure-doing/

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby Viazon » May 29, '14, 11:07 am

But why? And how would they even think they could do that? Isn't it illegal?

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby JPG619 » May 29, '14, 11:15 am

I use facebook to chat with friend, why not just use the mobile site on your phone to chat and you don't need to download anything. You don't even need to add your phone number or anything. I don't even use the facebook app as well just been using the mobile site and that all good for me

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Postby PorkChop » May 29, '14, 11:19 am

Also, you may wish to view the Facebook app's permissions:

Facebook are a horrible company, though as people say, there's many benefits to having an account with them. I just don't trust my data with them, and more people need to be aware of the shit they pull.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Everlong » May 29, '14, 11:21 am

I've never once had to give Facebook my mobile number, as far as I can remember. And Facebook's messenger app is actually quite good, IMO.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Twister » May 29, '14, 12:38 pm

I downloaded the messenger app the other day because I had no choice and I'm pretty sure I could skip past the part where it wanted my number? Might be mistaken though. It's not too bad but I don't understand why they had to move messages into a separate app.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Viazon » May 29, '14, 12:47 pm

Oh. Well I didnt know you could skip it. But when I did type in my number they sent me a confirmation code which I then had to enter. So I imagine it was mandotory.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Twister » May 29, '14, 1:03 pm

Strange, it might be something to do with your security settings? I'm sure there's a feature where they text you a code when you log in to your account from a new device (or in this case app) to confirm it's you and not someone else trying to hack in to your account.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Kein » May 29, '14, 9:34 pm

I think a long time ago I put my phone number as the rejection hotline on fb...

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 18, '16, 10:34 am

I've upgraded to a new phone and I might have to install Messenger as I use it to chat to the wife on occasions but still hunky dory for those still using it? I might even just use FB in my web browser to try and access my PMs on there than download a Messenger app.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Hanley! » Sep 18, '16, 10:52 am

It annoys me that they try and force you to get the Facebook app and Messenger app to begin with. What's wrong with just using the websites on your phone? Downloading the apps for every major website you use just seems like a waste of resources. It bugs me when I'm browsing Facebook on my phone and get a private message and they basically force me onto the messenger app to read it. Seems unnecessary.

Facebook is kinda a shitty website in a lot of ways. They're also not great about user privacy settings. And I find they're very bad when it comes to monitoring harassment. I've flagged instances of obvious harassment (such as rape threats) with them before and always eventually get a notice saying that they looked at the comment and didn't see anything wrong with it.

Plus, how fucking hard is it to just show the most recent posts at the top? Every time I leave the page it defaults to 'Whatever random bullshit our algorithm wants' on top. It's annoying.

I don't think it's great about encouraging conversation now either. Most of my Facebook is just random gifs and links from various websites. I preferred Bebo back when that was the social media site of choice in Ireland. I was kinda rooting for Google Plus to take off too, but that was a bust.

Facebook is kinda a necessary evil though. It's really convenient to have everyone you know together in one place online for arranging stuff. And it's kinda pointless to jump to a social media site that people aren't actually using.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby JPG619 » Sep 18, '16, 5:04 pm

Hanley! wrote:....

Plus, how fucking hard is it to just show the most recent posts at the top? Every time I leave the page it defaults to 'Whatever random bullshit our algorithm wants' on top. It's annoying.

I hate that, every time i have to switch it back I don't need to see something that was posted like 3 days ago and was not even relevant to anything that interested me. There been times I missed posted made by friends then a friend says to me you see what so and so posted and I said no because facebook has to show shit I don't need to know or old news that already past.

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Postby War Daddy » Sep 18, '16, 9:50 pm

As long as I can tag @Everlong in Harambe memes, I'll never be annoyed. #DicksOut

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Return to The Pub