It is currently: May 08, '24, 3:03 am

Advice for somebody beginning their life in the workplace?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Advice for somebody beginning their life in the workplace?

Postby Camstud » Apr 18, '14, 7:35 am

I leave University in a couple weeks, not a clue what I'm going to do with my life so I'm just gonna try pick up a standard job and get some money so I'm not sitting on my arse. I've had part-time jobs before in Retail and my current job has me in an office/working from home, but I've never had a full-time job.

Does anybody have any advice for me once I get a job?

Once useful thing I heard which stuck with me was:

"Don't just go to your Manager with a problem, go with the problem and a possible solution" -- Which I like.

prophet wrote:
HFX wrote:
Viazon wrote:Fuck Nandos. Go to the meat counter in Tescos. You can get a whole chicken for not that much. Ready cooked. Me and my friends used to get them all the time then just eat them in the car.

Man I always think you can't get more weird and then you say something else :lol

The image of Viazon and his equally odd mates all sat outside the supermarket eating chicken together in the car is too much :lol
Camstud None specified
B+ Player
B+ Player

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 36

Re: Advice for somebody beginning their life in the workplace?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 18, '14, 7:53 am

Firstly, good luck in finding a job. It took me about 8 months to find a job but if you do, turn up, be attentive, get along and try your best.

I think if you get stuck on a problem, seek advice from colleagues before going to a manager but you just have to judge your boundaries and whether the manager is the best person to solve a problem as he has the authority.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Return to The Pub