It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 7:49 pm

Be honest: how often do you give to charity?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Be honest: how often do you give to charity?

Postby PorkChop » Mar 14, '14, 12:51 pm

I do when I remember to... problem is that's not often enough haha. My heart's in the right place though!

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Be honest: how often do you give to charity?

Postby Everlong » Mar 14, '14, 12:54 pm

I give $25 a month to a Christian student org I was involved with in college. It's not much, but it's about what I can afford at this point. I have also given several times over the last year to the MACC Fund, a charity for children in the Milwaukee area and entire midwest with cancer.

I used to do more volunteer work than I do these days as it was easier to get involved with in college. Every year my fraternity did stuff with the Make a Wish Foundation, those events were usually my favorites of our charitable endeavors.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby ShaneOfan » Mar 14, '14, 12:56 pm

If I have change I usually drop it into what ever the charity jar is. That and I will not tell a homeless person I don't have any money on me if I actually do. I'm not giving out fives and tens but if I have a buck or two I'll spread the wealth.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Georgerv » Mar 14, '14, 1:31 pm

Any change that's in less than 20ps I put in charity jars in shops. I give money to the homeless whenever I go out on the town (2-3 times a week), and then I give £10 a month to a local animal shelter as well.

Also the society I run does fundraisers a few times a year as well.

I wish I could give more, but money's tight as a student and I need money to drink myself to an early death :lol

Georgerv Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 42

Postby DBSoT » Mar 14, '14, 1:48 pm

If you mean cash then i give what ever change I have. I don't give homeless people cash. I go buy them a sandwich. This way I am sure the money go towards feeding them and not an addiction of some kind. Call me a jerk, but I have had the sandwich thrown back at me because they want the money to buy booze. Actual thing said to me "I can't get drunk on Mcdonalds"!"

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 14, '14, 2:30 pm

Not enough, sad to say.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Chewy » Mar 15, '14, 2:55 am

I pay taxes which fund junkies and bums.

That is sufficient.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby HFX » Mar 15, '14, 3:31 am

I used to sponsor a kid in Venezuela but he got shot and killed by some drunk guy. I ain't gave no money to no people since then. But I regularly give a couple dollars every time I can to the Humane Society (animal shelter) when I'm at the store. They have these dog coin box things that I feel compelled to put money in. I really don't care for other people so I doubt I'll give money to a human charity again.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby Twister » Mar 15, '14, 5:40 am

I've given here and there when I can. There's a local charity that was set up by a little boy who got diagnosed with a brain tumour in order to raise money for Cancer Research which I've given a fair bit too over the years. He passed away in 2011 but his charity still lives on. And I'll also drop change into money boxes when I remember.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby PorkChop » Mar 15, '14, 8:00 am

Seeing as people have mentioned sponsoring in this thread, I'll mention this embarrassing tale:

On my 8th birthday a family friend sponsored a monkey for me at Monkey World. I thought it was badass as I was a bit of an animal boffin at the time. He was a chimpanzee named Arfur (this is important) and every month or so I was sent some pictures of him through the post, and had a cuddly toy of him. I went to see him once and was like yeah, shit, that's my boy right there :tim

A few months after I went to see him, I got a letter through the post from Monkey World saying that Arthur had died of old age. The letter said he loved me very much, and was grateful for my sponsorship as it enabled him and his kind to live a better life. I cried my eyes out and ran to my mum, informing her of the news. She sat down with me and told me I could sponsor another one, but I told her I didn't want to. It wouldn't be the same. I was inconsolable.

After I cried for a solid half an hour (I kid you not) my mum took a look at the letter. She realised something was up. It said that Arthur, not Arfur, had died. Some cunt at Monkey World admin had mixed things up - some other monkey with a similar name had died whilst my monkey was alive and well, swinging around, masturbating and throwing his shit at other monkeys as they do. I was overjoyed.

My mum phoned up Monkey World and explained they'd ruined my day. They confirmed that my monkey, Arfur, was fine and they'd just got some addresses mixed up. They'd now have to inform some other kid that his monkey, Arthur, had died. My mum passed the phone to me and a very apologetic woman told me they'd give me an extra year of sponsorship of Arfur for free, and through my snivelling tears, told her how much I loved him and how happy I was that he was still alive.

To my knowledge, Arfur is still kicking around. This is him (on the right) if anyone's interested: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/lolamo ... 8007570824. Looks like he's been working out. Stay safe, my brother.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby Twister » Mar 15, '14, 9:25 am

^^Awesome story.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby SortaCreative » Mar 15, '14, 3:55 pm

Humble Bundle :P

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Buck » Mar 15, '14, 4:23 pm

I pay taxes.

Unfortunately, none of that shit goes to a good cause.

I also shop at Goodwill. That does go to a good cause. Though, I have no idea what. I just know I'm getting a good deal.

The Artist Formerly Known As Supakilla13.

Joined WWE-Club on September 10, 2003.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.
Buck Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 26

Postby Chewy » Mar 15, '14, 5:16 pm

Buck wrote:I pay taxes.

I also shop at Goodwill. That does go to a good cause. Though, I have no idea what. I just know I'm getting a good deal.

Goodwill goes to junkies and bums. It gives them food and clothing so that they are properly fed and clothed to commit burglary.

Be proud of yourself sir.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Buck » Mar 15, '14, 7:09 pm

Chewy wrote:

Goodwill goes to junkies and bums. It gives them food and clothing so that they are properly fed and clothed to commit burglary.

All I know is, tonight I paid $2 for a power strip that I would've paid $3 for at Walmart.

And how do you know what Goodwill Industries of Northern New England does? Could you even find Northern New England on a map if I hadn't conveniently already posted maps of our area on a previous post on this forum?

The Artist Formerly Known As Supakilla13.

Joined WWE-Club on September 10, 2003.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.
Buck Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 26

Postby Daz » Mar 15, '14, 7:11 pm

Buck wrote:
Chewy wrote:

All I know is, tonight I paid $2 for a power strip that I would've paid $3 for at Walmart.

And how do you know what Goodwill Industries of Northern New England does? Could you even find Northern New England on a map?

I know it's not as good as the original.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Return to The Pub