It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 12:22 pm

British thread

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

Re: British thread

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 06, '17, 3:03 pm

Man, got legit sad watching Diana: In Her Own Words this evening.

Missed the start of the programme and caught it in time as her marriage starts to disintegrate but watching her and how sincere she was with members of the public, inspiring people (like the one featured in the show) made me realise there's not a Royal since or probably before then who had that magic touch.

I still remember when she died in 1997, slightly annoyed the football (Liverpool v Newcastle) had been postponed but even you knew who she was and how genuine she was in her role.

It was slightly prophetic she talked about losing her sons after her seperation with Charles and I think, sadly, she did after her death. Her two sons are ensconced in the environment their father has grown up with, one of them had a spell in the Army (would his mother have supported that, who knows..) and again, no Royal member now elicits any notion of sincerity. It all seems fake and smiles for the camera..

She had a sad ending to her life, and it rankles old Charles is living pretty since..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Aug 13, '17, 9:26 am

Went to Tower Bridge for the first time yesterday. Pretty cool, would recommend. The Tower of London is right next door to it as well, which is pretty cool in its own right.

The Museum of London was great. There's of interesting history in London, especially between Medieval and the Victorian periods.

Really interesting, and all totally free. Not a bad day out.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » Aug 13, '17, 9:34 am

You ever go to any West End shows, @Porkchop? It's the first thing I think about when I think about London. I've been over there twice in the past and saw a couple of shows each time. Planning to go back for a long weekend next spring too.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby PorkChop » Aug 13, '17, 2:42 pm

Hanley! wrote:You ever go to any West End shows, @PorkChop? It's the first thing I think about when I think about London. I've been over there twice in the past and saw a couple of shows each time. Planning to go back for a long weekend next spring too.

Sadly I've never seen a West End show. I've just moved here from the Midlands and I've barely seen any of the sights so far. There's so many things to see and do though, and I'd love to see a show of some sort. I'm not really a thespian but I'm always happy to give something a go.

I saw An Inspector Calls advertised a while ago, same with Woman in Black. Might check out both if I have the chance.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby VaderBomb » Aug 15, '17, 11:14 am

I love how this thread has over 21,000 views.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby PorkChop » Aug 15, '17, 3:04 pm

VaderBomb wrote:I love how this thread has over 21,000 views.

Must be close to 50 views per post. Pretty crazy really.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby VaderBomb » Aug 15, '17, 10:58 pm

PorkChop wrote:

The Brits are a mysterious bunch and the rest of the world wants to get to the bottom of it.

O maybe people who love to make clothing thought that there was a good deal on British thread.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 16, '17, 5:41 am

People love the British obviously.. and want the all important knowledge such as bins, for example..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Aug 28, '17, 3:41 pm

The state of trains in this country.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 30, '17, 11:39 am

I'm just glad I never have used South Eastern Trains for my train journeys ever.

My only grumble is sauna steamed carriages on hot days and the odd delays/cancellations but down south it's a different story.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Aug 30, '17, 3:36 pm

So how many of you Brits watch the Great British Bake Off?

There was a big controversy about it moving to Channel 4, but as far as I'm concerned it's even better now. Mel and Sue kinda annoyed me, but I love Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding is a nice fit for the show.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 30, '17, 4:06 pm

^I don't watch much TV these days tbh besides sport so the only place GBBO is discussed is at work where two my of colleagues watch it religiously. I think I could watch it if I got into it but I reckon I'm more of a Masterchef watcher than GBBO.

Good to hear the new home is treating the show well, was some uproar when it was announced it was going to Ch 4 yet ratings were still high apparently.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Aug 30, '17, 4:11 pm

The show is just really pleasant - it has none of the bitching and yelling of most reality television. It's the ultimate in comforting mid-week viewing. It's just about a bunch of ethnically diverse lovely people making lovely cakes. What's not to love?

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » Aug 31, '17, 1:52 am

Love a bit of Bake Off, and I especially like the fact I no longer have to endure Mel whats her face to enjoy it. I do miss Sue Perkins though.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby PorkChop » Sep 15, '17, 4:12 am

Another terror attack on London public transport, though fortunately it doesn't seem there's any fatalities. The bomb doesn't seem to have fully detonated. There's several photos which looks like there's a gas canister inside a bucket.

As there's no fatalities, the person who brought the bomb onto the train must have escaped with the crowds. As of this moment there's no CCTV or witness reports as to what they looked like though.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 15, '17, 5:07 am

Yes, fortunately it doesn't seem to have resulted in major casualties and there's no serious or life threatening injuries.

Early days yet although it does seem eerily familiar with a previous attempted attack that involved leaving a rucksack which didn't detonate.

I'd imagine CCTV footage will be key to identifying the suspect at large.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Sep 15, '17, 6:31 am

Police have confirmed the bomb was on a timer and didn't fully detonate. Given that a gas canister was used, it could've been devastating if it went off as intended.

I feel kind of numb to all of this, seeing Sadiq Khan repeat how we won't ever give in to terrorism, Trump calling the terrorist a loser, parliament scrambling to arrange a COBRA meeting. It's become like groundhog day really. But I don't know what the solution is.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Sep 15, '17, 12:00 pm

PorkChop wrote:Police have confirmed the bomb was on a timer and didn't fully detonate. Given that a gas canister was used, it could've been devastating if it went off as intended.

I feel kind of numb to all of this, seeing Sadiq Khan repeat how we won't ever give in to terrorism, Trump calling the terrorist a loser, parliament scrambling to arrange a COBRA meeting. It's become like groundhog day really. But I don't know what the solution is.

Severely doubt anything productive will be done to prevent it from happening any time. Not as long as we have fuckheads in government. Nobody at the highest level seems to want to address why so many of these suicide bombers and fuckers driving into people, are being radicalized in the first place.

On a lighter note, my great, great, great uncle's books just got re-released in kindle format, which is pretty cool, because I've never been able to read a lot of them. So if you ever fancy reading a classic detective mystery, look up Christopher Bush.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby VaderBomb » Sep 15, '17, 12:46 pm

PorkChop wrote:

One month later = 24,000 views.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby prophet » Sep 17, '17, 4:03 am

Hanley! wrote:The show is just really pleasant - it has none of the bitching and yelling of most reality television. It's the ultimate in comforting mid-week viewing. It's just about a bunch of ethnically diverse lovely people making lovely cakes. What's not to love?

This is my favourite post of yours.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub